Susan Chatwood BScN, MSc, PhD
- Email Address(es)
- Office Phone
- (867) 873-9337
- Office Address
- Institute for Circumpolar Health Research PO Box 11050 Yellowknife, Northwest Territories X1A 3X7
- Institute for Circumpolar Health Research Website, ICHR promotional video
- Social & Behavioural Health Sciences Division
- Assistant Professor
- Appointment Status
- Status Only
Health Research Capacity in Northern Canada
Arctic/Remote Health Systems Research
Indicator development & health systems performance frameworks
Education & Training History
University of Toronto, PhD, Medical Science
McGill University, MSc, Epidemiology & Biostatistics
University of British Columbia, BScN
Fulbright Arctic Initiative Scholar
Executive and Scientific Director, Institute for Circumpolar Health Research
Primary Teaching Responsibilities
Graduate student supervision for projects and practicum placements at the Institute for Circumpolar Health Research, Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Canada
Current Research Projects
- Government of the Northwest Territories, Needs assessment for an Aboriginal wellness centre. July 2015.
- First Nations Inuit Health Branch. Climate Change and community wellness. N’Dilo, NWT. Co-Investigator. April 1, 2015 – March 31, 2016
- Movember Foundation, Pathways to mental wellness for Indigenous boys and men: Community-led and land-based programs in the Canadian North, Co-Investigator April 1, 2015 – March 31, 2018
- Canadian Institute of Health Research. Planning Grant. Strategy for Patient-Oriented Research. Principal Investigator (2014-2015).
- Canadian Institutes for Health Research. Suicide Prevention and Mental Wellness in Circumpolar Regions. Principal Investigator. (2014-2015)
- Canadian Institutes for Health Research. Circumpolar Health Systems Innovation Team, Co-Investigator(2013-2018)
- Chatwood S, Paulette F, Baker R, Eriksen A, Hansen K, Eriksen H, Hiratsuka V, Lavoie J, Lou W, Mauro I, Orbinski J, Pabrum N, Retallack H and Brown AD. Indigenous values underlying health systems stewardship in circumpolar regions. (Under review)
- Young TK, Ng C, Chatwood S. Assessing health care in Canada’s North: what can we learn from national and regional surveys? International Journal of Circumpolar Health. 2015, 74, 28436
- Fanian S, Mantla M, Daniels A, Young S, Chatwood S. Evaluation of the Kǫ̀ts’iìhtła (“We Light the Fire”) Project: Building resiliency and connections through strengths-based creative arts programming for Indigenous youth, International Journal of Circumpolar Health. 2015, in press
- Chatwood S, Paulette F, Baker R, Eriksen A, Hansen K, Eriksen H, Hiratsuka V, Lavoie J, Lou W, Mauro I, Orbinski J, Pabrum N, Retallack H and Brown AD. Approaching Etuaptmumk – introducing a consensus based mixed method for health services research. International Journal of Circumpolar Health. 2015, 74
- Redvers J, Bjerregaard P, Eriksen H, Fanian S, Healey G, Hiratsuka V, Jong M, Larsen CVL, Linton J, Pollock N, Silviken A, Stoor P and Chatwood S. A scoping review of Indigenous suicide prevention in circumpolar regions.
- Ford, JD, et al. Adapting to the effects of climate change on Inuit health. American Journal of Public Health. Accepted Sep 29, 2013 (in press)
- James D Ford, Marie-Pierre Lardeau, Hilary Blackett, Susan Chatwood and Denise Kurzewski Community food program use in Inuvik, Northwest Territories. BMC Public Health. Accepted October, 2013 (in press)
- Chatwood S, Bytautas, J, Darychuk, A, Bjerregaard, P, Brown, A, Cole, D, Hu, H, Jong, M, King, M, Kvernmo, S, Veillard, J. Seminar Report: Approaching a Collaborative Research Agenda for Health Systems Performance in Circumpolar Regions. International Journal of Circumpolar Health. 2012, 72: 21474
- Chatwood S, Bjerregaard P, Young K. Global Health – A Circumpolar Perspective. American Journal for Public Health. 2012 Jul;102(7):1246-9.
- Chatwood S., Circumpolar Health Collaborations: A Description of Player and Call for Further Dialogue. International Journal for Circumpolar Health 70 (5).
- Young K, Chatwood S. Circumpolar Health: What Canada Can Learn from its Neighbours. Canadian Medical Association Journal 2011;183:209-214
- Young K, Chatwood S. Rawat R. Data Brief from the Circumpolar Health Observatory [2010-1]: Population. International Journal for Circumpolar Health 69 (4).
- Chatwood S, Young K, A New Approach to Health Research in Canada’s North. Canadian Journal of Public Health, 2010;101(1):25-27.
- Machalek, K, Paulette L, Becker, G, Kotaska A, Chatwood S. Development of a Perinatal Surveillance System for the Northwest Territories Canada. Proceedings of the International Congress on Circumpolar Health 2009
1. Young K, Rawat R, Winifried D, Chatwood S, Bjerregaard P. Circumpolar Health Atlas. University of Toronto Press, 2012.
- Young K and Chatwood S. Comparing the Health of Circumpolar Populations: Patterns, Determinants, and Systems.. The New Arctic. Springer Press.
- Parkinson A, Chatwood S. Chapter 2. Human Health in Krupnik I, et al., eds. Understanding Earth’s Polar Challenges: International Polar Year 2007-2008. Summary by the IPY Joint Committee. ICSU-WMO, printed by the Canadian Circumpolar Institute 2011.
- Eds. Chatwood S. Orr P., Ikäheimo, T. 14th International Congress on Circumpolar Health, IPY from Research to Action. Congress Proceedings. Circumpolar Health Supplements 2010; 7.
- Chatwood S., Lippman A., Joesph L., and Pekeles G. Indications for transfer in women served by the Innuulisivik maternity. Proceedings of the International Congress of Circumpolar Health 1996.
Reports for Government Dissemination and Briefing notes:
- Sustainable Development Working Group (SDWG), Arctic Council. Sharing Hope. Circumpolar perspectives on promising practices for promoting mental wellness and resilience. 2015. Researcher on report.
- Young K, Chatwood S and Bjerregaard P. Observing the Changing Health of Circumpolar Peoples. A Community White Paper Prepared for the Arctic Observing Summit, 2013.
- Dene Nation, First Nations Regional Health Survey Report 2008-2010. 2012.
- Young K and Chatwood S. Environmental Scan of First Nations, Inuit and Métis Population Health Surveys. Prepared for Canadian Partnership Against Cancer. December 2011.
- Young K, Chatwood S. Public Health Practice in Circumpolar Regions: Lessons for Canada. Report prepared for the Public Health Agency of Canada. January 2010.
- Chatwood, S. Arctic Health Research Network (AHRN). Pan-Territorial Project to Develop a Concept for a Sustainable Northern Health Research Network. Summary submitted to the Assistant Deputy Ministers of Health and Social Services. Yukon Territorial Government, Government of the Northwest Territories and Government Nunavut. December 2006.
- Framework for the creation of a Northern Health Research Network. Submitted to the Deputy Minister of Health and Social Services, Government of the Northwest Territories. September 2005.