Shelley L Deeks MD, MHSc, FRCPC, FFAFPM
- Email Address(es)
- Office Phone
- (647) 260-7417
- Office Address
- Public Health Ontario 480 University Avenue, Suite 300 Toronto, ON M5G 1V2
- Clinical Public Health Division
Office of Global Public Health Education & Training
- Associate Professor
- SGS Status
- Associate Member
- Appointment Status
- Status Only
- Communicable disease outbreaks
- Vaccine safety
- Vaccine program evaluation
- Human papillomavirus vaccine
- Herpes zoster vaccine
- Polio eradication
Education & Training History
Post Graduate Training/Fellowships
- FAFPHM (Fellow of the Australasian Faculty of Public Health Medicine), Sydney Australia, June 2009
- Canadian Field Epidemiologist, Ottawa, Ontario, 1996-1998
- FRCPC (Fellow of The Royal College of Physicians of Canada), Public Health and Preventive Medicine, University of Toronto, August 1996
- MHSc (Community Health and Epidemiology), University of Toronto, December 1994
- CCFP, Family Medicine, McMaster University, June 1990
- Doctor of Medicine, University of Toronto, 1988
- Chief, Communicable Diseases, Emergency Preparedness and Response, Public Health Ontario (PHO)
- Member, National Advisory Committee on Immunization (NACI)
- Chair, HZ Vaccine NACI Working Group
- Member, World Health Organization’s Strategic Advisory Group of Experts Polio Working Group
- Management Committee Member, Canadian Immunization Research Network (CIRN)
Primary Teaching Responsibilities
- Supervise graduate students in epidemiology
- Supervise residents in public health and preventive medicine
- Co-instructor for Doctoral Seminar Series in Epidemiology (CHL5423H Y), University of Toronto
- Hawken S, Ducharme R, Rosella L, Benchimol EI, Langley J, Wilson K, Crowcroft NS, Halperin S, Desai S, Naus M, Sandford C, Mahmud S, Deeks SL. Assessing the risk of intussusception and rotavirus vaccine safety in Canada. Hum Vac Immunother. 2017 May 17; 13(3): 703-710.
- Harris T, Nair J, Fediurek J, Deeks SL. Assessment of sex-specific differences in adverse events following immunization reporting in Ontario, 2012-2015. Vaccine. 2017 May 2; 35(19): 2600-2604.
- Thomas S, Hiebert J, Gubbay J, Gournis, E, Sharron J, Severini A, Jiaravuthisan M, Shane A, Jaeger V, Crowcroft N, Fediurek J, Sander B, Mazzulli T, Schulz H, Deeks SL. Measles outbreak with unique virus genotyping, Ontario, Canada, 2015. Emerg Infect Dis. 2017;23(7):1063-1069. Available from: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/23/7/16-1145_article.
- Guerra FM, Rosella LC, Dunn S, Wilson SE, Chen C, Deeks SL. Early impact of Ontario’s human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccination program on anogenital warts (AGW): A population-based assessment. Vaccine. 2016 2016 Sept 7; 34(39): 4678-4683.
- Tsang RSW, Deeks SL, Wong K, Marchand-Austin A, Jamieson FB. Invasive serogroup W Neisseria meningitidis (MenW) in Ontario, Canada shows potential clonal replacement during the period of January 1, 2009 to June 30, 2016. Can Comm Dis Rep. 2016 Dec 1; 42(12):263-266
- Desai S, Policarpio ME, Wong K, Gubbay J, Fediurek J, Deeks SL. The epidemiology of invasive pneumococcal disease in older adults from 2007-2014 in Ontario, Canada; a population-based study. CMAJ Open. 2016 Sep 29.
- Wilson SE, Rosella LC, Wang J, Le Saux N, Crowcroft NS, Harris T, Bolotin S, Deeks SL. Population-level impact of Ontario’s infant rotavirus immunization program: Evidence of direct and indirect effects. PLoS One. 2016 May 11; 11(5): e0154340.
- Drolet M, Deeks SL, Kliewer E, Musto G, Lambert P, Brisson M. Can high overall human papillomavirus vaccination coverage hide sociodemographic inequalities? An ecological analysis in Canada. Vaccine. 2016 Apr 7; 34(16):1874-1880.
- Sander B, Wong W, Yeung M, Ormanidhi O, Atkin K, Murphy J, Krahn M, Deeks SL. The cost-utility of integrated cervical cancer prevention strategies in the Ontario setting – can we do better? Vaccine. 2016 Apr 7; 34(16): 1936-1944.
- Wormsbecker AE, Wong K, Jamieson FB, Crowcroft NS, Deeks SL. Epidemiology of serogroup C and Y invasive meningococcal disease (IMD) in Ontario, 2000-2013: vaccine program impact assessment. Vaccine. 2015 Oct 13; 33(42): 5678-5683.
- Wilson SE, Seo CY, Lim GH, Fediurek J, Crowcroft NS, Deeks SL. Trends in medical and non-medical immunization exemptions in Canada’s largest province: 2002-03 to 2012-13. CMAJ Open 2015 Sept 16; 3(3): E317-E323.
- Wormsbecker A, J Wang, Rosella LC, Kwong JC, Seo CY, Crowcroft NS, Deeks SL. Twenty years of medically-attended pediatric varicella and herpes zoster in Ontario, Canada: a population-based study. PLoS One. 2015 July 15;10(7):e0129483.
- Feinberg Y, Pereira JA, Quach S, Kwong JC, Crowcroft NS, Wilson SE, Guay M, Lei Y, Deeks SL. Understanding Public Perceptions of the HPV Vaccination Based on Online Comments to Canadian News Articles. PLoS One. 2015 Jun 8;10(6):e0129587.
- Crowcroft NS, Deeks SL, Upshur RE. Do we need a new approach to making vaccine recommendations? BMJ. 2015 Jan 30;350:h308.
- Klar SA; Harris T; Wong K; Deeks SL. Vaccine safety implications of Ontario, Canada’s switch from DTaP–IPV to Tdap–IPV for the pre-school booster. Vaccine. 2014 Nov 12;32(48):6360-3. doi: 10.1016/j.vaccine.2014.09.017. Epub 2014 Sep 22.PMID: 25252195.
- Harris T, Wong K, Stanford L, Fediurek J, Crowcroft NS, Deeks SL. Did narcolepsy occur following administration of AS03-adjuvanted A(H1N1) pandemic vaccine in Ontario, Canada? A review of post-marketing safety surveillance data. Eurosurv, 2014;19 (36) 11 September 2014.
- Tu HA, Deeks SL, Morris SK, Strifler L, Crowcroft N, Jamieson FB, Kwong JC, Coyte PC, Krahn M, Sander B. Economic evaluation of meningococcal serogroup B childhood vaccination in Ontario, Canada. Vaccine. 2014; 32(42):5436-5446.
- Lim GH, Deeks SL, Fediurek J, Gubbay J, Crowcroft NS. Documenting the elimination of measles, rubella and congenital rubella syndrome in Ontario: 2009-12. Can Commun Dis Rep 2014;40-8, April 17, 2014.
- Deeks SL, Lim GH, Walton R, Fediurek J, Lam F, Walker C, Walters J, Crowcroft NS. Prolonged pertussis outbreak in Ontario originating in an under-immunized religious community. Can Commun Dis Rep 2014. 40-3, February 7, 2014.
- Lim GH, Deeks SL, Crowcroft NS. A cocoon immunization strategy against pertussis for infants: Does it make sense for Ontario? Eurosurv 2014; 19(5), February 6, 2014.
- Harris T, Williams DM, Fediurek J, Scott T, Deeks SL. Adverse events following immunization in Ontario’s female school-based HPV program. Vaccine (2014) 19 Feb 2014;32(9):1061-1066. Published online Jan 15, 2014. doi:10.1016/j.vaccine.2014.01.004.
- Lim GH, Wormsbecker AE, McGeer A, Pillai D, Gubbay JB, Rudnick W, Low DE, Green K, Crowcroft NS, Deeks SL. Have changing pneumococcal vaccination programs impacted disease in Ontario? Vaccine. 2013;31(24):2680-2685.
- Kwong JC, Vasa PP, Campitelli MA, Hawken S, Wilson K, Rosella LC, Stukel TA, Crowcroft NS, McGeer AJ, Zinman L, Deeks SL. The risk of Guillain-Barré Syndrome following seasonal influenza vaccination and influenza healthcare encounters, a self-controlled study. Lancet Infect Dis. 2013. Published online June 28, 2013
- Wilson SE, Harris T, Sethi P, Fediurek J, Macdonald L, Deeks SL. Coverage from Ontario, Canada’s school-based HPV vaccine program: The first three years. Vaccine. 2013 Jan 21;31(5):757-62. doi: 10.1016/j.vaccine.2012.11.090. Epub 2012 Dec 13.
- Wilson SE, Karas E, Crowcroft NS, Bontovics E, Deeks SL. Ontario’s School-based HPV Immunization Program: School board assent and parental consent. Can J Pub Health, 2012;103(1):34-39.
- Deeks SL, Lim GH, Simpson MA, Gagne L, Gubbay J, Kristjanson E, Fung C, Crowcroft NS. An assessment of mumps vaccine effectiveness by dose during an outbreak in Canada. CMAJ. June 14, 2011 183:1014-1020.