Prabhat Jha MD, DPhil
- Email Address(es)
- Office Phone
- Office Address
- Centre for Global Health Research, St.Michael's Hospital 30 Bond Street Toronto, ON M5B 1W8
- Epidemiology Division
Office of Global Public Health Education & Training
- SGS Status
- Full Member
- Appointment Status
- Large scale epidemiology studies of the major causes of death in developing countries (tobacco, alcohol, blood pressure, blood cholesterol, indoor air pollution, fertility)
- Methods of epidemiological research in low-resource settings, including randomized intervention studies
- Use of routine mortality data for analytic epidemiology
- Tobacco control policy in developed and developing countries
Education & Training History
D. Phil Epidemiology and Public Health
University of Oxford
University of Manitoba
International Advisory Board Member – The Lancet Global Health
Scientific Committee: International Conferences on Public Health Priorities in 21st Century
Editorial Advisory Board – Demography India Journal, India
Board of Directors – University of Toronto Schools, Toronto, Canada
Advisory Board – Economic Study on the economic burden of NCDs, Harvard School of Public Health and the World Economic Forum
Expert Advisory Committee – Millennium Village Projects, Columbia University, USA
Management Committee – Asian Institute of Public Health, India
Scientific Review Committee – American Association for Cancer Research, USA
Advisory Panel – Canada’s Strategic Role in Global Health, Canadian Academy of Health Sciences
National Health Insurance Expert Committee – Government of South Africa, South Africa
Advisory Committee – National AIDS Control Organization, Government of India, India
Advisory Board – Canada Gairdner Foundation Awards, Canada
Committee on the US Commitment to Global Health – Institute of Medicine, USA
Consultant – Africa and Eastern Europe Departments, World Bank, USA
Advisory Board – Institute of Global Health, Emory University, USA
Core Advisory Group on The Lancet India series – The Lancet Journal, UK
Scientific Advisory Committee – 13th World Conference on Tobacco and Health, USA
Steering Committee – School of Public Health Review, University of Toronto, Canada
International Advisory Committee – UK BioBank, UK
Scientific Director – Short Course on HIV/AIDS Evidence, 2006 International AIDS Conference, Canada
Committee on Cancer Control in Developing Countries – Institute of Medicine, USA
Documentary Consultant on Global Infectious Disease – The Fifth Estate, CBC TV, Canada
Ministerial Advisory Committee on Tobacco Control – Government of Canada, Canada
Acting Scientific Director – Global Infectious Disease Evidence Alliance, University of Toronto, Canada
International Advisory Board – National Rural Health Mission, Government of India, India
Senior Fellow – Massey College, University of Toronto, Canada
Technical Panel – India AIDS Initiative, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, USA
Steering Committee – Policy Research Network, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, USA
Editorial Board – Canadian Medical Association Journal, Canada
Steering Committee – Cardiovascular Disease Research Initiative in the Developing Countries, World Heart Foundation
Council Member – Scientific Section on Epidemiology, World Heart Federation, Switzerland
1997 – 2006
Editorial Board – Nutrition & Population Journal, World Bank Health, USA
Medical Licensure – US Board of Medical Examiners, USA
1992 – 1994
Steering Committee (Project Epidemiologist) – Heart Outcomes Prevention Evaluation Study, Canadian Cardiovascular Collaboration
Medical Licensure – The Medical Council of Canada, Canada
Medical Internship – University of Manitoba and University of Toronto, Canada.
Primary Teaching Responsibilities
- Masters and Doctoral students.
Professional Summary & Appointments
Endowed Chair in Disease Control – Dalla Lana School of Public Health, University of Toronto, Canada
Director – Lombard Insurance Global Poverty Action Lab, St. Michael’s Hospital, Canada
Professor – Dalla Lana School of Public Health, University of Toronto, Canada
Senior Editor – eLife Sciences, USA
Research Scholar – McLaughlin Centre for Molecular Medicine, University of Toronto, Canada
Canada Research Chair of Health and Development – University of Toronto, Canada
Senior Editor and Chief Epidemiologist – Disease Control Priorities Network, USA
Professeur Extraordinaire – Institut universitaire de médecine sociale et préventive, Université of Lausanne, Switzerland
Co-Investigator – Ontario Tobacco Research Unit, Canada
Associate Professor – Dalla Lana School of Public Health, University of Toronto, Canada
Co-Director – International Tobacco Evidence Network, Health Policy Center, USA
Young Professional – World Bank, USA
Research Fellow – Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences, University of Toronto, Canada
Visiting Scientist – Cancer Epidemiology Unit, University of Oxford, England
Honours & Awards
Officer of the Order of Canada – Governor General of Canada, for contributions to epidemiology and economics of global health
Luther L Terry Award – American Cancer Society – for Ground breaking Research on Tobacco Control – 15th World Conference on Tobacco or Health 2012, Singapore
Albie Award for Best Writing in Global Political Economy – Foreign Policy Magazine, USA
Special President’s Award – Global Organization of People of Indian Origin, India
Arthur’s Award for Rapid Scientific Impact – St. Michael’s Hospital, Toronto, Canada
One of 25 Transformational Canadians – The Globe and Mail Newspaper, Canada
Professional Male of the Year – Indo-Canada Chamber of Commerce, Canada
Global Leadership Award (Finalist) – British Medical Journal, England
One of 12 Outstanding Medical Scientists in Toronto – The Globe and Mail Newspaper, Canada
Premier’s Research Excellence Award – Government of Ontario, Canada
Top 40 Canadians Under age 40 – The Caldwell Partners, Canada
Gold Medal – Poland Health Promotion Foundation, Poland
Reward for Excellence in Supervision – World Bank, USA
Research Fellowship – Heart and Stroke Foundation of Ontario, Canada
Thorlakson Foundation Traveling Lectureship – University of Manitoba, Canada
1990 – 1992
Research Fellowship – St. Boniface Hospital Research Foundation, Canada
1989 – 1992
Rhodes Scholar – University of Oxford, Oxford, England
Jack Hildes International Health Scholarship – University of Manitoba, Canada
Best Actor– Faculty of Medicine, Beer & Skits Night, University of Manitoba, Canada
Current Research Projects
2013-2016 CFI: No:31713 Integrated Million Death Study e-Platform
2013-2014 CIHR: Operating Grant Reproductive and Chlld Health
2012-2014 NIH: Disease Control Priorities Global Cancer PI
2011-2015 CIHR HOPE Fellowship for Dr. Usha Ram, Mentor
- Arora P, Nagelkerke N, Monihedin M, Dhingra N, Jha P. Female sex work interventions and changes in HIV and syphilis infection risks from 2003 to 2008 in India. BMJ Open, 2013.
- Singhal P, Quiñonez C, Jha P. Changes in social inequality in smoking-attributable upper aero digestive tract cancer mortality in Canadian males between 1986 and 2001. BioMed Central: Public Health. 2013 Apr 10; 13:328.
- Hsiao M, Morris SK, Malhotra AK, Jha P. Time-critical mortality conditions in low- and middle-income countries. Lancet, 2013 381, P 993 – 994, 23 March 2013
- Jha P, Ramasundarahettige C, Landsman V, Rostron B, Thun P, Peto R. The hazards of smoking and benefits of stopping in the US during the 21st century: nationally representative prospective cohort study. NEJM, 2013, Jan 24
- Jha P. Mathematics and malaria. Elife. 2012;1:e00385. Epub 2012 Dec 18.
- Forman D, Franceschi S, Sankaranarayanan R, Bray F, Ferlay J, Dikshit R, Jha P, Wild CP. Do cervical cancer data justify human papillomavirus vaccination in India? Epidemiological data sources and comprehensiveness. J R Soc Med. 2012; 105(9):365-6.
- Singhal S, Gupta PC, Dikshit R, Jha P. Increased risk of coronary heart disease in female smokers. Lancet. 2012 Mar 3;379(9818):802;
- Jha P, Nugent R, Verguet S et al. Chronic Diseases, Copenhagen Consensus, Challenge Paper, 2012.
- Jamison DT, Laxminaryan R, Jha P, Ord T. Infectious and childhood diseases. Copenhagen Consensus, Challenge Paper, 2012.
- Jagnoor J, Suraweera W, Keay L, Ivers RQ, Thakur J, Jha P. Unintentional injury mortality in India, 2005: Nationally representative mortality survey of 1.1 million homes. BMC Public Health. 2012 Jun 28;12(1):487.
- Jha P. Counting the Dead is among the world’s best investments to reduce premature mortality. Medical Hypothesis, 2012.
- Hum R, Jha P, McGann A, Yuling Y. Enzyme kinetics and global child and adult mortality changes from 1970-2007. eLife, 2012 in press.
- Suraweera W, Morris SK, Kumar R, et al. Deaths from symptomatically identifiable furious rabies in India: A nationally representative mortality survey. PLoS Neg Trop Dis 2012; 6(10): e1847.
- Morris SK, Awasthi S, Khera A, et al. Rotavirus mortality in India: Estimates based on a nationally representative survey of diarrheal deaths. Bull of WHO 2012;90:720-727.
- Kwong JC, Ratnasingham S, Campitelli MA, others, Jha P et al. The Impact of Infection on Population Health: Results of the Ontario Burden of Infectious Diseases Study Plos One, 2012; 7(9): e44103.
- Arora P, Nagelkerke NJD, Jha P. A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Risk Factors for Sexual Transmission of HIV in India PLos One, 2012; 7(8): e44094.
- Jha P. Avoidable Deaths from Smoking: A Global Perspective. Public Health Reviews, 2012: Vol 33, No 2.
- Jha P. Death and Taxes Epidemiological and Economic Evidence on Smoking. Global Heart, 2012: 7(2):139-142.
- Patel V, Ramasundarahettige C, Laxmi V, others, Jha P (Senior Author). A Nationally Representative Survey of suicide mortality in India. Lancet, 2012; 379: 2343-2351.
- Dikshit R, Gupta PC Ramasundarahettige C others, Jha P (Senior Author). Cancer mortality in India: A Nationally Representative Survey. Lancet 2012; 379: 1807-1816.
- Montgomery AL, Morris SK, Bassani DG, Jha P et al. Factors Associated with Physician Agreement and Coding Choices of Cause of Death using Verbal Autopsies for 1130 Maternal Deaths in India. PLoS One, 2012; 7: e33075.
- Hsiao M, Morris SK, Bassani DG, Montgomery AL, Thakur JS, Jha P. Factors associated with physician agreement on verbal autopsy of over 11500 injury deaths in India. PLoS One, 2012; 7(1): e30336.
- Giovino GA, Mirza SA, Samet JM, Gupta PC, Jarvis MJ, Bhala N, Peto R, Zatonski , Hsia J, Morton J, Palipudi KM, Asma S; GATS Collaborative Group (inc Jha P). Tobacco use n 3 billion individuals from 16 countries: an analysis of nationally representative cross-sectional household surveys. Lancet. 2012 Aug 18;380(9842):668-79.
- Palipudi KM, Gupta PC, Sinha DN, Andes LJ, Asma S, McAfee T; GATS Collaborative Group (inc Jha P). Social determinants of health and tobacco use in thirteen low and middle-income countries: evidence from Global Adult Tobacco Survey. PLoS One. 2012;7(3):e33466.