Dominique Morisano PhD, CPsych
- Email Address(es)
- Office Phone
- 647 792 8778
- Office Address
- Office Hours and Location: 9-264, Office Hours on Monday or Wed afternoons by appointment
- Personal Website
- Social & Behavioural Health Sciences Division
- Adjunct Professor
- SGS Status
- Associate Member
Addiction and mental health services and systems research; Harm-reduction approach; screening, assessment, and treatment of the comorbidity/co-occurrence of mental health and substance use disorders (particularly among children, adolescents, and young adults); implementation science and the use of evidence in treatment systems; mental health and wellness service-system improvements for Indigenous Peoples of Canada; goal theory and goal implementation; mindfulness-based interventions; research and publication ethics.
Education & Training History
- Postdoctoral Fellowship in Addiction & Mental Health Research (Addiction Psychiatry, Schizophrenia), co-appointed at the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH) and the University of Toronto (Psychiatry), 2008-2009
- Ph.D. in School/Applied Child Psychology, McGill University (Montreal, Canada), 2008
- M.A. with thesis in Educational Psychology (Major: School/Applied Child Psychology), McGill University, 2004, Dean’s List
- Sc.B. in Psychology (pre-medical track), Brown University, 2001
- Stockholm University (Stockholm, Sweden), 2000, Study Abroad
- Duke University (Durham, NC), 1997-1998
- Collaborator Scientist, Institute for Mental Health Policy Research, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH)
- Visiting Scholar, Rotterdam School of Management (RSM), Erasmus University (Netherlands)
- Faculty, Centre for Mindfulness Studies, Toronto, ON
Primary Teaching Responsibilities
CHL 5120H: Population Health Perspectives on Mental Health and Addictions; and invited lectures
Professional Summary & Appointments
- Adjunct Professor, University of Toronto, Dalla Lana School of Public Health (Toronto, Canada), 2019-pres
- Assistant Professor, University of Toronto, Dalla Lana School of Public Health (Toronto, Canada), 2011-2018
- Assistant Professor of Clinical Psychology (in Psychiatry), Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons (New York, NY), 2010-2012
- Licensed Clinical Psychologist, Ontario; 2009-present
- Licensed Clinical Psychologist, New York; 2009-present
- Member: National Register of Health Service Providers in Psychology
- Member: American Psychological Association (Divs 28/50/53); Association for Psychological Science; College on Problems of Drug Dependence; Ontario Psychological Association
Honours & Awards
[Recent Selected Awards]
- ERIM Scientific Symposium Grant, Erasmus University (2017)
- ERIM Visiting Research Scholarship, Erasmus University (2016)
- Loughborough Univ International Seedcorn Grant guest (via C. Travers, 2015)
- Mind & Life Summer Research Institute Fellow (2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2018)
- The Mensa Foundation’s Award for Excellence for Research (2014)
- Best Management Education and Development Symposium, Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management (2014)
- College on Problems of Drug Dependence (CPDD) Early Career Investigator Travel Award (2011)
- Golden Key International Honour Society: Keynote Speaker, Invited Member (2010)
- American Psychological Association (APA) Committee on Early Career Psychologists/National Register’s ECP Credentialing Scholarship (2010)
Current Research Projects
- Work collaboratively and internationally on several research, implementation, and community-based projects related to mental health, ethics, substance use/abuse, and well-being.
- Ministerie van Onderwijs, Cultuur en Wetenschap. Applications of Personal Goal Setting in Students at the College level. Role: Co-Investigator. Principal Investigator: Professor Michaéla Schippers. Dates: 01/2018-12/31/2021
- Schippers, M., Morisano, D., Locke, E. A., Scheepers, A., & Latham, G. (2019, submitted). Writing about personal goals and plans regardless of type boosts academic performance.
- Morisano, D., Robinson, M., & Linklater, R. (2019, Feburary). Conducting Research with Indigenous Peoples of Canada: Ethical Considerations for CAMH. 50 pp. Report written for the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH). Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
- Morisano, D., Winstanley, E., Morojele, N., & Babor, T. F. (2017). Learning the lay of the land: Publication issues for doctoral students, postdoctoral fellows, and other junior scientists. In T.F. Babor, K. Stenius, R. Pates, M. Miovský, J. O’Reilly, & P. Candon (Eds., pp. 89-118), Publishing addiction science(3rd ed.). London: Ubiquity Press.
- Babor, T. F., Morisano, D., & Noel, J. (2017). Coin of the realm: Practical procedures for determining authorship. In T.F. Babor, K. Stenius, R. Pates, M. Miovský, J. O’Reilly, & P. Candon (Eds., pp. 207-227). Publishing addiction science(3rd ed.). London: Ubiquity Press.
- Babor, T. F., Morisano, D., Noel, J., Robaina, K., Ward, J. H., & Mitchell, A. L. (2017). Infrastructure and career opportunities in addiction science: The emergence of an interdisciplinary field. In T.F. Babor, K. Stenius, R. Pates, M. Miovský, J. O’Reilly, & P. Candon (Eds.). Publishing addiction science(3rd ed.; pp. 9-34). London: Ubiquity Press.
- Babor, T. F., Morisano, D., Stenius, K., & Ward, J. (2017). How to choose a journal: Scientific and practical considerations. In T.F. Babor, K. Stenius, R. Pates, M. Miovský, J. O’Reilly, & P. Candon (Eds.). Publishing addiction science(3rd ed., pp. 37-70). London: Ubiquity Press.
- Travers C, Morisano D, & Lock, E. A. (2015). Growth goals and academic achievement: A qualitative study. British Journal of Educational Psychology, 85(2), 224-241.
- Morisano, D. (2014). Brief: Mental health and Addiction Service Needs for First Nations, Inuit, and Métis Individuals and Communities in Ontario. 8 pp. Brief report written for the Provincial System Support Program (PSSP) of the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH). Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
- Morisano D, Babor TF, Robaina KA (2014) Co-occurrence of substance use disorders with other psychiatric disorders: Implications for treatment services. Nordic Studies on Alcohol and Drugs 31(1), 5-25.
- Morisano, D., & McDonald, J. A. (2012). Models and Methods of Implementation Science: Applications for Ontario’s Systems Improvement through Service Collaboratives (SISC) Initiative. 42 pp. Report written for the Provincial System Support Program (PSSP) of the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH). Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
- Morisano D, Wing VC, Sacco KA, Arenovich T, George TP (2013) Effects of tobacco smoking on neuropsychological function in schizophrenia in comparison to other psychiatric disorders and non-psychiatric controls. Am J Addict, 22, 46–53.
- Morisano D (2013) Goal setting in the academic arena. In EA Locke & G Latham (Eds), New Developments in Goal Setting and Task Performance (495-506). NY: Routledge.
- Morisano D & Locke EA (2012) Goal setting and academic achievement in college students. In JAC Hattie & EM Anderman (Eds.), International Handbook of Student Achievement (45-48). NY: Routledge.
- Morisano D, Hirsh JB, Peterson JB, Pihl RO, Shore BM (2010) Personal goal setting improves academic performance in university students. J Appl Psychol, 95, 255-64.
- Morisano D & Shore BM (2010) Can personal goal setting tap the potential of the gifted underachiever? Roeper Rev, 32(4), 1–10.
- Hirsh JB, Guindon A, Morisano D, Peterson JB (2010) Positive mood effects on delay discounting. Emotion, 5, 717-21.
- Morisano D, Bacher I, Audrain-McGovern J, George TP (2009). A review of mechanisms underlying the co-morbidity of tobacco use in mental health and addictive disorders. Can J Psychiatry, 54, 356-67.
- Rush BR & Morisano D (2009) Going off the rails for “love or money”: Implementation issues related to payment of research participants in an addiction-research project (43-52). In DL Streiner & S Sidani (Eds), When research goes off the rails. NY: Guilford Press.
- Morisano D, Babor, TF, Winstanley EL, Morojele N (2008) Getting started: Publication issues for doctoral students, postdoctoral fellows, and other novice addiction scientists. In TF Babor & K Stenius (Eds), Publishing addiction science (2nd ed., 50-69). London, UK: ISAJE.
- Hirsh JB, Morisano D, Peterson JB (2008) Delay discounting: Interactions between personality and cognitive ability. J Res Pers, 42, 1646-50.
- Babor TF, & Morisano D (2008) Practical procedures for determining authorship. In TF Babor & K Stenius (Eds) Publishing addiction science (2nd ed, 10-123). London, UK: ISAJE.
- Babor TF, Morisano D, Stenius K, Winstanley EL & O’Reilly J (2008) How to choose a journal: Scientific and practical considerations. In TF Babor & K Stenius (Eds) Publishing addiction science (2nd ed, 12-36). London, UK: ISAJE.
- Cornish, K. M., Manly, T., Savage, R., Swanson, J., Morisano, D., Butler, N., et al. (2005). Association of the dopamine transporter (DAT1) 10/10-repeat genotype with ADHD-symptoms and response inhibition in a general population sample. Molecular Psychiatry, 10,686-698.