Dominique Morisano PhD, CPsych
- Email Address(es)
- Office Phone
- 647 792 8778
- Office Address
- Office Hours and Location: 9-264, Office Hours on Monday or Wed afternoons by appointment
- Personal Website
- Social & Behavioural Health Sciences Division
- Adjunct Lecturer
- SGS Status
- Associate (Restricted) Member
Addiction and mental health services and systems research; Harm-reduction approach; screening, assessment, and treatment of the comorbidity/co-occurrence of mental health and substance use disorders (particularly among children, adolescents, and young adults); implementation science and the use of evidence in treatment systems; mental health and wellness service-system improvements for Indigenous Peoples of Canada; cultural adaptation of evidence-based practices; goal theory; mindfulness-based interventions; research and publication ethics.
Education & Training History
- Postdoctoral Fellowship in Addiction & Mental Health Research (Addiction Psychiatry, Schizophrenia), co-appointed at the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH) and the University of Toronto (Psychiatry), 2008-2009
- Ph.D. in School/Applied Child Psychology, McGill University (Montreal, Canada), 2008
- M.A. with thesis in Educational Psychology (Major: School/Applied Child Psychology), McGill University, 2004, Dean’s List
- Sc.B. in Psychology (pre-medical track), Brown University, 2001
- Stockholm University (Stockholm, Sweden), 2000, Study Abroad
- Duke University (Durham, NC), 1997-1998
- Lecturer, Applied Psychology and Human Development, OISE, University of Toronto
- Affiliate Scientist, Social and Epidemiological Research Department, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH)
- Faculty, Centre for Mindfulness Studies, Toronto, ON
- Research & Evaluation Consultant, Stella’s Place, Toronto, ON
Primary Teaching Responsibilities
Within Addiction and Mental Health, and within OISE (Applied Psychology and Human Development)
Professional Summary & Appointments
- Assistant Professor, University of Toronto, Dalla Lana School of Public Health (Toronto, Canada), 2011-present
- Assistant Professor of Clinical Psychology (in Psychiatry), Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons (New York, NY), 2010-2012
- Licensed Clinical Psychologist, Ontario; 2009-present
- Licensed Clinical Psychologist, New York; 2009-present
- Member: National Register of Health Service Providers in Psychology
- Member: American Psychological Association (Divs 28/50/53); Association for Psychological Science; College on Problems of Drug Dependence; Ontario Psychological Association
Honours & Awards
[Recent Selected Awards]
- Mind & Life Summer Research Institute Fellow (2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015)
- The Mensa Foundation’s Award for Excellence for Research (2014)
- Best Management Education and Development Symposium, Annual Meeting of the Academy of Management (2014)
- College on Problems of Drug Dependence (CPDD) Early Career Investigator Travel Award (2011)
- Golden Key International Honour Society: Keynote Speaker, Invited Member (2010)
- American Psychological Association (APA) Committee on Early Career Psychologists/National Register’s ECP Credentialing Scholarship (2010)
Current Research Projects
- Work collaboratively and internationally on several research, evaluation, and community-based projects related to mental health, addiction, and wellness.
- Ontario Ministry of Health + Long Term Care Health System Research Fund Health System Performance Research Network (Overall PI: W. Wodchis). Subproject: “Caregiver burden, support and enablement” (PI: E. Lin; Co-Is: J. Durbin, W. Ungar, D. Morisano). Role: Subproject Co-I. Dates: 04/2013-03/2016
- Schippers M, Scheepers A, Morisano D, Locke EA, Peterson JB (2016, i). Enhancing student retention and academic performance through guided reflection on goals.
- Travers C, Morisano D, & Lock, E. A. (2015). Growth goals and academic achievement: A qualitative study. British Journal of Educational Psychology, 85(2), 224-241.
- Morisano D, Babor TF, Robaina KA (2014) Co-occurrence of substance use disorders with other psychiatric disorders: Implications for treatment services. Nordic Studies on Alcohol and Drugs 31(1), 5-25.
- Morisano D, Wing VC, Sacco KA, Arenovich T, George TP (2013) Effects of tobacco smoking on neuropsychological function in schizophrenia in comparison to other psychiatric disorders and non-psychiatric controls. Am J Addict, 22, 46–53.
- Morisano D (2013) Goal setting in the academic arena. In EA Locke & G Latham (Eds), New Developments in Goal Setting and Task Performance (495-506). NY: Routledge.
- Morisano D & Locke EA (2012) Goal setting and academic achievement in college students. In JAC Hattie & EM Anderman (Eds.), International Handbook of Student Achievement (45-48). NY: Routledge.
- Morisano D, Hirsh JB, Peterson JB, Pihl RO, Shore BM (2010) Personal goal setting improves academic performance in university students. J Appl Psychol, 95, 255-64.
- Morisano D & Shore BM (2010) Can personal goal setting tap the potential of the gifted underachiever? Roeper Rev, 32(4), 1–10.
- Hirsh JB, Guindon A, Morisano D, Peterson JB (2010) Positive mood effects on delay discounting. Emotion, 5, 717-21.
- Morisano D, Bacher I, Audrain-McGovern J, George TP (2009). A review of mechanisms underlying the co-morbidity of tobacco use in mental health and addictive disorders. Can J Psychiatry, 54, 356-67.
- Rush BR & Morisano D (2009) Going off the rails for “love or money”: Implementation issues related to payment of research participants in an addiction-research project (43-52). In DL Streiner & S Sidani (Eds), When research goes off the rails. NY: Guilford Press.
- Morisano D, Babor, TF, Winstanley EL, Morojele N (2008) Getting started: Publication issues for doctoral students, postdoctoral fellows, and other novice addiction scientists. In TF Babor & K Stenius (Eds), Publishing addiction science (2nd ed., 50-69). London, UK: ISAJE.
- Hirsh JB, Morisano D, Peterson JB (2008) Delay discounting: Interactions between personality and cognitive ability. J Res Pers, 42, 1646-50.
- Babor TF, & Morisano D (2008) Practical procedures for determining authorship. In TF Babor & K Stenius (Eds) Publishing addiction science (2nd ed, 10-123). London, UK: ISAJE.
- Babor TF, Morisano D, Stenius K, Winstanley EL & O’Reilly J (2008) How to choose a journal: Scientific and practical considerations. In TF Babor & K Stenius (Eds) Publishing addiction science (2nd ed, 12-36). London, UK: ISAJE.