Anne E. Rhodes Ph.D. in Epidemiology
- Email Address(es)
- firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Office Phone
- Office Address
- The Offord Centre for Child Studies McMaster Innovation Park – Suite 201A, at 175 Longwood Road South Hamilton, ON L8P 0A1
- Epidemiology Division
- Associate Professor
- SGS Status
- Full Member
- Appointment Status
- Status Only
- Child Maltreatment
- Fatal and Non-fatal Suicide-related Behaviours
- Mental Health Service Use
- Sex/Gender Differences
- Epidemiologic Methods
Primary Teaching Responsibilities
Lecturer: The Epidemiology of Chronic (Non-Communicable) Disease – Modules on Depression and/or Suicidal Behaviours (2005+)
Lecturer: Population Health Perspectives on Mental Health – Suicidal Behaviours in Children and Youth (2011+)
Supervisor and Committee Member, PhD Students in Epidemiology -Past: Jennifer Bethell, Dianna Clarke; Current: Sarah Goodday; Travis Salway Hottes
Professional Summary & Appointments
2015 – present Associate Member, The Offord Centre for Child Studies, Hamilton, Ontario
2015 – present Adjunct Lecturer, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioural Neurosciences, McMaster University
2011 – present Full Member, School of Graduate Studies, University of Toronto
2009 – present Associate Professor, Psychiatry, University of Toronto
2003 – present Adjunct Scientist, Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences, Toronto
2000 – 2014 Research Scientist, Suicide Studies Research Unit, St. Michael’s Hospital, Toronto
Honours & Awards
- 2013 CIHR Best Brains Travel Exchange Award for ‘Sex and Gender Based Analysis in Suicide Prevention Policy’ January 31st, 2013 $1671
- 2003-2008 – The population-based care of depressed and suicidal individuals. Career Scientist Award, Ontario Ministry of Health and Long Term Care Health Research Personnel Development Program, $250,00 + benefits
Current Research Projects
2014 March -2015 Feb Principal Investigator. Gender Differences in Youth Suicide – Implications for Suicide Prevention. Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR). Operating Grant. Collaborator(s): Boyle M, Bennett K, Bethell J, Carlisle C, Cheung C, Katz L, Links P, Newton A, Skinner R, Tonmyr L, Sinyor M, Skinner R, Sundar P, Tonmyr L. 100,000 CAD
2015 June-2020 June Co-Invesgitator. Integrated Collaborative Care Teams (ICCT’s) versus usual outpatient care in youth with mental illness. PI: Szatmari P Co-PIs: Henderson J, Cheung A, Cleverly K, Chaim G. Co-Is: Andrade B, Bartha C, Barwick M, Campbell M, Carlisle C, Charach A, Courey L, de Oliveira C, Doan K, Fainer C, Ferguson E, Gladstone B, Heffernan O, Herzog T, Kurdyak P, Lemke K, Levy M, Lin E, McCullum T, McDonald H, McKenzie K, McKenzie S, Mehta K, Monga S, O’Brien D, Pignatiello T, Rhodes AE, Rotem A, Young L, Zaretsky A, Abelson J, Moher D, Moretti M, Saskin R, Turner L, Waddell C, Willan A, OSSU Impact Awards, Ontario SPOR Support Unit 1,795,051.45 CAD
2015 Jan – 2019 Dec Co-InvestigatorUnderstanding health risks and promoting resilience in male youth with sexual violence experience. Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR). Team Grant Boys and Men’s Health -CIHR/PHAC. PI: Wekerle, Christine. Collaborator(s): Ungar, Michael; Bennett, ML; Black TL; Boyle MH; Collin-Vezina D, Gonzalez A; Hebert M; Macmillan HL; Musquash CJ; Rhodes AE; Romano E, Saewyc EM; Smith AM; Stewart SH 1,495,020 CAD.
2015 March-2017 June Co-Invesgitator. Death by Suicide within a Year after a Mental Health Related Emergency Department Visit or Hospital Admission: A Linkage Study of Adults in the Province of Ontario. Ontario Mental Health Foundation Type A Grant. PI: Schaffer A, Collaborator(s): Sinyor M, Kurdyak P, Sareen J, Bolton J, Vigod S, Rhodes AE, Cheung A, Grigoriadis S, Levitt AJ, Yatham LN. $150,000 CAD
2013 Jan-2017 Jan Co-Invesgitator. Ontario Child Health Sequel. Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR). PI: Boyle M; Georgiades K Collaboratorss: Afifi TO, Avison WR, Bennett K; Boylan K; Butt M; Cairney J; Cleverley K, Cunningham, C, Davies, S; Dirks MA; Dunn J; Ferro M; Gonsalez A; Magdalena, J; Jenkins J; Lipman E; Louise E; MacMillan H; Manion I; McLennan J, Petitclerc, A; Rhodes AE, Rosenblum P; Roberto S; Shepherd C; Szatmari P, .$5,312,446
2012 May – 2013 Jan Co-Investigator. Suicide Prevention in Canadian Youth: Options and Evidence. Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR). PI: Bennett, Kathy. Collaborators: Braunberger PI; Cheung A, Dobbins M; Kutcher S; Links P; Lipman E; Manassis K; Manion I; McKibbon K; Mcleannan J; Mushquash C; Petermann L; Rhodes AE, Schuhenmann H; Szatmari P, Thabane L. 100,000 CAD.
2011 Oct – 2013 Sep Principal Investigator. Suicide-Related Behaviours in Children and Youth – Time Trends in Alberta and Ontario. Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR). Operating Grant. Collaborators: Newton A (Co-principle applicant), Bethel J, Carlisle C, Rosychuk R. 89,052 CAD. Secondary analysis of databases.
2011 Jun – 2012 Jun Co-Investigator. Suicide in the Perinatal Period: Further Steps Toward Prevention. Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR). Catalyst Grant. PI: Grigoriadis, S. Collaborators: Cheung A, Kurdyak PA, Levitt AJ, Rhodes AE, Vigod SN. 93,193 CAD. Maternal Health: From pre-conception to the empty nest.
2010 Mar – 2011 Mar Principal Investigator. Access to Care for Suicidal Boys and Girls. Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR). Catalyst Grant. Collaborators: Bethell J, Boyle M, Goodman D, Tonmyr L, Wekerle C. 99,997 CAD. Methods and Measures for Gender, Sex and Health Research.
2009 Jul – 2010 Jun Principal Investigator. The Feasibility of Individually Linking Children’s Mental Health Service Records. Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR). Catalyst Grant: Maternal and Child. Collaborators: Barwick M (Co-PI), Diana Urajnik D, Bethell J. 25,000 CAD.
2008 Jan – 2011 Mar Principal Investigator. Child maltreatment and the risks of deliberate self-harm. Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR). Strategic Initiative Operating Grant. Collaborators: Wekerle C (Co-principle applicant), Leung E, Boyle M, Goodman D. 265,000 CAD. Partnerships for Child and Youth Indicators Supporters & Partners: The Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences; Child Welfare League of Canada; The Ontario Association for Children’s Aid Societies; The Provincial Centre of Excellence for Child and Youth Mental Health at the Children’s Hospital in Eastern Ontario; The Injury and Child Maltreatment Section, Health Surveillance and Epidemiology Division, Public Health Agency of Canada and the Centre of Excellence for Child Welfare.
1. Rhodes AE, Boyle MH, Bridge JA, Sinyor M, Links PS, Tonmyr L, Skinner R, Bethell JM, Carlisle C, Goodday S, Salway Hottes T, Newton A, Bennett K, Sundar P, Cheung AH, Szatmari P. Antecedents and sex/gender differences in youth suicidal behavior. World Journal of Psychiatry. 2014 Dec;22(4):120-132. Senior Responsible Author.
2. Rhodes AE, Lu H, Skinner R. Time Trends in Medically Serious Suicide-Related Behaviours in Boys and Girls. Can J Psychiatry. 2014 Oct;59(10):556-560. Senior Responsible Author.
3. Bennett K, Rhodes AE, Duda S, Cheung A, Manassis K, Szatmari P, Links P, Mushquash C; Bruanberger P, Bridge J, Kutcher S, Santos R, Manion I, McLennan J, Newton A, Bagnell A, Lipman E, Rice M. A Youth Suicide Prevention Plan for Canada: A Systematic Review. Can J Psychiatry. 2015 June:60(6):.245-257 Coauthor or Collaborator.
4. Rhodes AE, Bethell J, Carlisle C, Rosychuk R, Lu H, Newton A. Time Trends in Suicide-Related Behaviour in Girls and Boys. Can J Psychiatry. 2014 Mar;59(3):152-159. Senior Responsible Author.
5. Salway Hottes T, Ferlatte O, Gesink D. Suicide and HIV as leading causes of death among gay and bisexual men: a comparison of estimated mortality and published research. Critical Public Health. 2014:1-14. Available from: DOI:10.1080/09581596.2014.946887 (Trainee publication). Acknowledged in Publication (Not Author).
6. Sampasa-Kanyinga H, Roumeliotis P, Xu H. Associations between cyberbullying and school bullying victimization and suicidal ideation, plans and attempts among Canadian schoolchildren. PLoS One. 2014;9(7):1-9. Acknowledged in Publication (Not Author).
7. Rhodes AE, Skinner R, McFaull S, Katz L. Canada wide effect of regulatory warnings on antidepressant prescribing and suicide rates in boys and girls. Can J Psychiatry. 2013 Nov;58(11):640-645. Senior Responsible Author.
8. Bethell J, Bondy S, Lou W, Guttmann A, Rhodes AE. Child and adolescent emergency department presentations for self-harm: Data from Ontario. Canadian Journal of Public Health. 2013;104(2):124-130 (Trainee publication). Co-Principal Author.
9. Rhodes AE, Khan S, Boyle MH, Bethell J, Wekerle C, Tonmyr L, Goodman D, Leslie B, Lam K, Manion I. Sex differences in suicides among children and youth – the potential impact of help-seeking behavior. Canadian Journal of Psychiatry. 2013;58(5):274-282. Senior Responsible Author.
10. Rhodes AE, Bethell J, Tonmyr L. Child sexual abuse and youth suicide: A review of the evidence with implications for future research. International Journal of Child, Youth and Family Studies. 2013;1:113-130. Senior Responsible Author.
11. Rhodes AE, Bethell J, Newton A, Antony J, Tonmyr L, Banji F, Chaulk D, Curtis S, Guoin S, Greenstone I, Joubert GI, Porter R, Silver N, Spruyt J, Thompson G, Turner T. Developing measures of quality for the emergency department management of pediatric suicide-related behaviors. Pediatric Emergency Care. 2012 28(11):1124-8. Senior Responsible Author.
12. Rhodes AE, Boyle MH, Bethell J, Wekerle C, Tonmyr L, Goodman D, Leslie B, Lam K, Manion I. Child maltreatment and repeat emergency department presentations for suicide-related behaviours. Child Abuse and Neglect. 2012;37(2-3):139-149. Senior Responsible Author.
13. Putnam-Hornstein E, Needell B, Rhodes AE. Understanding Risk and Protective Factors: An Argument for Population-Based Data Linkages. Child Abuse and Neglect. 2012;37(2-3):116-119. Coauthor or Collaborator.
14. Rhodes AE, Boyle MH, Bethell J, Wekerle C, Goodman D, Tonmyr L, Leslie B, Lam K, Manion I. Child maltreatment and the onset of emergency department presentations for suicide-related behaviors. Child Abuse and Neglect. 2012 36(6):542-551. Senior Responsible Author.
15. Rhodes AE, Khan S, Boyle M, Wekerle C, Goodman D, Tonmyr L, Bethell J, Leslie B, Manion I. Sex differences in suicides among children and youth – the potential impact of misclassification. Canadian Journal of Public Health. 2012 103(3): 213-17. Senior Responsible Author.
16. Mironova P, Rhodes AE, Bethell J, Tonmyr L, Boyle MH, Wekerle C, Goodman D, Leslie B, Manion I. Childhood physical abuse and suicide-related behaviour: A systematic review. Vulnerable Children and Youth Studies. 2011;6(1):1-7 (Trainee publication). Senior Responsible Author.
17. Rhodes AE, Boyle MH, Tonmyr L, Wekerle C, Goodman D, Leslie B, Mironova P, Bethell J, Manion I. Sex differences in childhood sexual abuse and suicide-related behaviors. Suicide and Life-Threatening Behavior. 2011 41(3):235-254. Senior Responsible Author.
18. Newton A, Hamm MP, Bethell J, Rhodes AE, Bryan CJ, Ali S, Logue E. Pediatric Suicide-Related Presentations: A Systematic Review of Mental Health Care in the Emergency Department. Annals of Emergency Medicine. 2010 56(6): 649-59. Coauthor or Collaborator.
19. Bethell J, Rhodes AE, Bondy SJ, Lou W, Guttmann A. Repeat self-harm: An application of hurdle models. British Journal of Psychiatry. 2010;196(3):243-244 (Trainee publication).