Can I enter the CoPAS program if I am not a registered student in the School of Graduate Studies, University of Toronto?

No, CoPAS is not a degree program or a continuing education or certificate program. To be eligible for admission to CoPAS, students must first apply to and register in one of the collaborating graduate departments. Through the collaborating department, students can then apply for admission to CoPAS.

If I am not registered in a program in the School of Graduate Studies, University of Toronto, where can I get additional training in addictions?

There are a number of addictions certificate programs and continuing education courses offered by a variety of organizations in Ontario and elsewhere. Two possibilities to explore include:

The Master of Science Community Health (MScCH) in the Dalla Lana School of Public Health, University of Toronto. The MScCH degree program is intended for and limited to established health professionals who wish to enhance their professional knowledge and skills, while being able to remain employed/in practice. The MScCH differs substantially from the other Masters Public Health Science programs in its emphasis and content, intended audience and methods of delivery. /page/masters-degrees

The Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH) offers courses and certificate programs in the areas of addiction and mental health.

I am a registered student in the School of Graduate Studies, University of Toronto – when can I apply to the CoPAS Program?

The CoPAS program accepts applications throughout the year. There are no set application periods, and you are welcome to submit an application at any time during your program. Note that you need to ensure adequate time from the submission of your application to meet the CoPAS program requirements.

Is there a cost for applying to the CoPAS program in addition to my academic fees?

No, there are no fees for applying and being accepted into CoPAS.

How do CoPAS course requirements (the core course – PAS3700H + one approved elective course) fit with my regular program course load?

CoPAS students take the two CoPAS required courses as part of their regular course load. For example, if your program offers two elective courses, you would use these electives to take the CoPAS core course plus one CoPAS-approved elective course.

Where can I find more information about CoPAS-approved elective courses?

Check the SGS calendar for course offerings and the individual departmental websites for sessions in which courses are offered and specific dates and times. Refer to the list of CoPAS courses for course names and numbers.

I want to take a CoPAS course that is being offered outside my home department. How do I enrol?

In order to enrol in courses offered outside your home department, you need to complete a School of Graduate Studies Add/Drop Course form, and have it signed by the course instructor.

The form can be found here:

None of the approved CoPAS elective courses fit into my course schedule – can I still enrol in the CoPAS program?

Yes, you can elect to do a Directed Reading Course in the area of addictions, jointly negotiated with a faculty supervisor (check with your faculty advisor in your home department for more information and guidance on Directed Reading courses).

How do I apply for the CoPAS program?

Complete the CoPAS Application Form, and have it signed by your CoPAS Departmental Representative (or by your faculty advisor, if your department does not have a CoPAS Representative). Then forward your application, along with a copy of your resume, to the CoPAS Program Director for final approval. The Director then sends your application to the School of Graduate Studies where your enrolment is registered on ROSI. (Note that letters of confirmation are not sent to students – please check your registration on the ROSI system approx. 12 weeks after submitting your application).

Can I apply to CoPAS if I am from a non-collaborating department?

Yes, but you need to complete a Non-standard Collaborative Program Enrolment form, and send it directly to the CoPAS Program Director, with a copy of your resume.

If I am currently registered in a professional program that includes counseling/therapy, will completion of CoPAS certify me as an addiction counselor?

No, completion of the CoPAS program indicates a concentration in the area of addictions during your graduate program. If you wish to pursue professional addiction counseling certification you would need to do this independently through a national certifying body or organization.

How is my completion of the CoPAS program recognized?

Upon graduation, you receive a notation on your official transcript that you have completed the Collaborative Program in Addiction Studies. Effective 2010, you also receive an official parchment (certificate) from the University of Toronto School of Graduate Studies. Parchments are distributed by the CoPAS Program Director.