This workshop is being facilitated by the Toronto Initiative for Diversity & Excellence (TIDE). TIDE is a grassroots service group consisting of University of Toronto faculty members from across disciplines with a focus on supporting equity, diversity, and inclusion across U of T.
This workshop is open to faculty only. Participants are strongly recommended to have either attended TIDE’s “Unconscious Bias 101” workshop or to have worked through TIDE’s Unconscious Bias Education Modules 1 & 2 on SuccessFactors (see https://www.toronto-tide.ca/resources/ for a link to these modules).
The purpose of the “Bias and Inclusion 102” workshop is to provide concrete guidance to faculty on advancing equity and inclusion, by making change at both the individual and structural levels. This is an online event, which will take place in two parts:
Part 1: Monday, Nov 21st 2022, 2.00pm-4.00pm EST
• Case studies on individual and structural biases
• The importance of individual responsibility in an academic landscape
• Advancing equity and inclusion through individual actions and practices
Part 2: Monday, Nov 28th 2022, 2.00pm-4.00pm EST
• Advancing equity and inclusion through structural changes to institutional culture and policies
• Mitigating bias and cognitive errors in peer assessment and in recruitment/hiring
• Concepts of privilege, anti-racism, intersectionality, and allyship
Both sessions will also involve interactive group work conducted in breakout rooms. The sessions will be facilitated by Professor Bryan Gaensler (Dunlap Institute for Astronomy and Astrophysics) and Professor Julie MacArthur (Historical Studies). Maximum benefit to attendees will come from attending both sessions.
To register, please visit: https://www.toronto-tide.ca/workshops
If you have any issues registering, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org