Philip Ellison MD, MBA
- Email Address(es)
- Office Phone
- Office Address
- Family and Community Medicine 500 University Ave., Ste. 339 Toronto, ON M5G 1V7
- Clinical Public Health Division
- Associate Professor
- SGS Status
- Associate Member
- Appointment Status
- Status Only
- Quality Improvement
- Health System Integration
Education & Training History
1992 – 1997 MBA, Master of Business Administration (Full Program – Part-time), Rotman School of Business, University of Toronto
1974 – 1978 MD, Doctor of Medicine, University of Toronto
Qualifications, Certifications and Licenses
1997 Fellow (FCFP), College of Family Physicians of Canada
1989 – 1990 Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety (DOHS), McMaster University
1978 – 1980 Certification in Family Medicine (CCFP), College of Family Physicians of Canada, University of Toronto
Primary Teaching Responsibilities
- Quality Improvement in Community Practices – CHL5613
- Management and Leadership – Concepts and Cases in Leading Small Health Organizations – CHL5623
Postgraduate Medical Education, Faculty Development, and Continuing Education
- Quality Improvement and the Leadership of QI Teams
Professional Summary & Appointments
Dr. Philip Ellison is a staff Family Physician in the Department of Family and Community Medicine (DFCM) at the University Health Network (UHN), and an Associate Professor in the Department of Family and Community Medicine, University of Toronto where he is Director of the Quality Improvement Program. He is a physician advisor to the Toronto Central Local Health Integration Network (TC LHIN) and the TC LHIN Community Care Access Centre.
Dr. Ellison has been a practicing family physician in downtown Toronto since completing his undergraduate and postgraduate training at the University of Toronto. Throughout he has been associated with academic family medicine at the University of Toronto, first joining the Toronto General Hospital in 1980. His professional practice has included obstetrics, inpatient medicine, emergency medicine, long-term care, and occupational medicine, practicing both in the community and within hospital sites.
Dr. Ellison also holds a Master of Business Administration from the Joseph L. Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto, where he is cross-appointed to the Department of Health Policy, Management, and Evaluation. He is also cross appointed to the Graduate Department of Public Health Sciences at the Dalla Lana School of Public Health, where in the Graduate Studies Program he teaches a Masters level courses in Leadership and Management of Small Health Organizations, and Improving Health Care in the Community.
Honours & Awards
3. HONOURS AND CAREER AWARDS
Distinctions and Research Awards
2007 Award of Excellence, College of Family Physicians of Canada. (Distinction)
1989 – 1990 Postgraduate Study Award, College of Family Physicians of Canada.
PROVINCIAL / REGIONAL
2010 Certificate of Recognition, Ontario Chapter, College of Family Physicians of Canada.
For service on Board of Directors from 2004-2010.
2003 Certificate of Recognition, Ontario Chapter, College of Family Physicians of Canada.
“For his years of outstanding service and commitment to Family Medicine”.
2013 Excellence in Continuing Education and Professional Development, University of Toronto, Department of Family and Community Medicine In recognition of leadership of the QI Curriculum Development Group.
2010 Excellence in Leadership, University of Toronto, Department of Family and Community Medicine.
2008 (UHN) – Toronto Western Hospital, Medical Staff Association Physician of the Year (Inaugural), University Health Network.
2007 Certificate of Appreciation, University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine.
For service as Chair, Faculty Council 2004 – 2007.
2003 Excellence in Leadership, University of Toronto, Department of Family and Community Medicine.
2002 University of Toronto Plaque, University of Toronto, Faculty of Medicine.
For service as Interim Chair, DFCM 2001-2002.
PROVINCIAL / REGIONAL
2010 PAIRO Resident Advocate Award, Dept of Family & Community Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Professional Association of Interns and Residents of Ontario.
2010 Excellence in Faculty Development, Dept of Family & Community Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Department of Family and Community Medicine.
2010 Postgraduate Educational Achievement Award for Program Leadership, Dept of Family & Community Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Department of Family and Community Medicine.
2010 Sarita Verma Award for Advocacy and Mentorship in Postgraduate Education (Inaugural), Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Faculty of Medicine.
2006 Postgraduate Educational Achievement Award for Resident Advocacy, Dept of Family & Community Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Department of Family and Community Medicine.
1980 Dr. Gerry Fishbein Award. University of Toronto, Department of Family and Community Medicine (Resident Academic Project)
1. PEER-REVIEWED PUBLICATIONS
- Pojskic, N MacKeigan L, Boon H, Ellison P, Breslin N. Ontario Family Physician Readiness To Collaborate With Community Pharmacists On Drug Therapy Management. Research in Social and Administrative Pharmacy. Research in Social and Administrative Pharmacy 2010. (Trainee publication, Graduate Student). Coauthor or Collaborator.
- Pojskic, N MacKeigan L, Boon H, Ellison P, Breslin N. Ontario Family Physician Readiness To Collaborate With Community Pharmacists On Drug Therapy Management: Lessons for Pharmacists. Canadian Pharmacists Journal. CPJ/RPC July/August 2009 Vol 142, No 4. (Trainee publication, Graduate Student). Coauthor or Collaborator.
- T.Oliver, M.Brouwers, J. Crawford, P. Ellison, W. Evans, A. Gagliardi, J. Lacourciere, V. Mai, S. McNair, T. Minuk, L. Rabeneck, C. Rand, J. Ross, D. Lo, J. Smylie, J. Srigley, H. Stern, M. Trudeau. Cancer Diagnostic Assessment Programs: Standards for the Organization of Care in Ontario. Current Oncology. Current Oncology. 2009; 16(6): 29-41. Coauthor or Collaborator.
- Ellison P, Hodgson K, Whittaker M, Bucknam M, Darling M. Family Medicine Curriculum in Quality Improvement, Management and Leadership. MedEdPORTAL. Available from: www.mededportal.org/publication/9229. Principal Author.
2. NON-PEER-REVIEWED PUBLICATIONS
- Ellison, Philip. Proceedings of the Symposium on Improving Access to Family Practice Services in the Home for the Frail Elderly in Toronto. Jointly with the Toronto Central Local Health Integration Network and the Toronto Central Community Access Centre 2009. Coauthor or Collaborator.
- Melissa Brouwers (Chair), Dr. Bill Evans, Dr. Hartley Stern, Dr. Verna Mai, Dr. Philip Ellison, Dr. Terry Minuk, Dr. Linda Rabeneck, Ms. Jennifer Smylie, Dr. Maureen Trudeau, Ms. Carol Rand, Ms. Jill Ross, Dr. Anna gagliardi, Dr. Dorothy Lo, Ms. Joanne Lacourciere Ms. Donnal Holmes, Dr. John Srigley, Sheila McNair, Ms. Joanne Crawford, Mr. To Oliver, Ms. Robinne Hauck. Organizational Standards for Diagnostic Assessment Programs – Expert Panel Report to Cancer Care Ontario. January 2007. Coauthor or Collaborator.
- Ellison, Philip. Proceedings of the Symposium on the Integration of Family Practices and the Cancer Care System. Jointly with Ontario College of Family Physicians and Cancer Care Ontario Jan Kasperski, ED OCFP Philip Ellison (Chair) 2007. Co-Principal Author.
- Committee Chair: Cathy Paul; Staff – Scott Dudgeon, Nadia Lalani; Members – Philip Ellison, Sheree Davis, Shelly Jamieson, Andreas Laupacis, Louise Lemieux-Charles, James Maclean, Hume Martin, Barry Monaghan, Jean Simpson, Catherine Szabo, Mario Tino. System Alignment Task Force: Working Paper for the Toronto Health System Framework – Toronto District Health Council. 2004. Coauthor or Collaborator.
- Ellison, Philip. Family Medicine – The Next Generation – a blueprint for QI in the Department of Family and Community Medicine. Report to the Chair 2010. Principal Author.
- Philip Ellison (Chair) Ann Schrager (Program Consultant Ontario’s Wait Time Strategy); Panel Members – Family Physicians – Leonard Kelly, Lewis O’Brien, Brent Elsey, Kendall Noel, Mike Green, Randy Lee, Darren Larsen, Shelley Smith, Ker Leggatt, Leslie Solomon, Ken Babey, Peter Englert, Marguerite Chevalier, Antoni Basinski, Primary Care Nurse Practitioners – Sharon Jaspers, Michelle Clifford-Middel, Bonnie Sparrow, Patti Groom. Report of the Wait Times Expert Panel Primary Care – Family Practice to the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care. Principal Author.