Elizabeth M Badley Ph.D.
- Epidemiology of chronic/disabling conditions
- Musculoskeletal conditions; arthritis & related disorders
- Models of functioning & disability, quality of life
- Variations in health & health outcomes related to socioeconomic status, gender, age, etc.
- Provisions relating to services for arthritis and for rehabilitation
1989- Member, School of Graduate Studies, Department of Public Health Sciences Community Health, University of Toronto; (Associate Member, 1989 – 1993)
1995- Member, Graduate Department of Rehabilitation Science, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto
1996- Member, Graduate Faculty, Institute of Medical Sciences, University of Toronto
2001 Adjunct Scientist, Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences (ICES), Toronto
Primary Teaching Responsibilities
- Epidemiology Research Methods II (CHL 5405H) Course Coordinator
- Epidemiology of Non-Communicable Disease, Lecture on Arthritis (CHL 5403H)
Professional Summary & Appointments
1989- Professor, Dalla Lana School of Public Health (formerly Department of Public Health Sciences, Faculty of Medicine), University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario (Professor from July 1997; Associate Professor from October 1989 – June 30, 1997)
1989- Senior Scientist & Epidemiologist, The Toronto Western Research Institute and the Arthritis and Autoimmunity Research Centre Foundation, University Health Network, Toronto.
1991- Director, The Arthritis Community Research and Evaluation Unit, University Health Network Hospital (from July 1, 1998), Toronto, Ontario (The Wellesley Hospital Research Institute from July 1991 to June 30, 1998)
1999- Division Head, Division of Outcomes and Health Care Research, Toronto Western Research Institute, University Health Network.
1988 Visiting Associate Professor, Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Faculty of Health Sciences, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada (January – June)
1979-89 Deputy Director, Arthritis and Rheumatism Council Epidemiology Research Unit, University of Manchester Medical School, UK
1977-89 University Teacher (part-time), University of Manchester Faculty of Medicine, Department of Community Medicine, UK
1974-79 Scientific Officer, ARC Epidemiology Research Unit, Manchester, UK
1973-74 Research Officer, ARC Epidemiology Research Unit, Manchester, UK
Honours & Awards
- March 2006 The Anthony Miller Award for Excellence in Research in Public Health, awarded by the University of Toronto, Department of Public Health Sciences.
Current Research Projects
- 2009-2012 – Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR). Which patients are most likely to benefit from total joint arthroplasty and what do they need to know? (Co-I)
- 2009-2013 – Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR). (New Emerging Team Grant). Models of Care in Arthritis (MOCA). (Co-PI)
- 2010 – 2013 Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR). Striking a Balance: Health and Employment Outcomes Related to Role Overload and Role Balance Among People with Arthritis. (Co-I)
- 2011 -2012 – Canadian Arthritis Network (CAN) Does the pattern of recovery in the first year following total joint replacement surgery for osteoarthritis of the hip and knee predict long-term outcomes? (Co-I)
- 2011-2013 – Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR). In sickness or in health? How well are they baby boomers aging compared to older generations: an analysis of age, period and cohort effects. (PI)
- 2011-2013 – Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR). Do different provincial and territorial government vision health insurance policies generate different vision health outcomes? A cross-sectional and longitudinal study. (Co-I)
- 2012 – 2014 – The Arthritis Society. Getting a Grip on Arthritis: Inter-professional Online Learning. (Co-I)
- Badley,E.M. (2008). Enhancing the conceptual clarity of the activity and participation components of the International Classification of Functioning, Disability, and Health. Social Science & Medicine.66(11):2335-45.
- Badley,E.M., & Ansari,H. (2010). Arthritis and arthritis-attributable activity limitations in the United States and Canada: a cross-border comparison. Arthritis care & research.62(3):308-15.
- Badley,E.M., Canizares,M., Mahomed,N., Veinot,P., & Davis,A.M. (2011). Provision of orthopaedic workforce and implications for access to orthopaedic services in Ontario. Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery – American Volume.93(9):863-70.
- Badley,E.M., & Davis,A.M. (2012). Meeting the challenge of the ageing of the population: issues in access to specialist care for arthritis. [Review]. Best Practice & Research in Clinical Rheumatology.26(5):599-609.
- Bollegala,D., Perruccio,A.V., & Badley,E.M. (2011). Combined impact of concomitant arthritis and back problems on health status: results from a nationally representative health survey. Arthritis care & research.63(11):1584-91.
- Canizares,M., & Badley,E.M. (2012). Comparison of health-related outcomes for arthritis, chronic joint symptoms, and sporadic joint symptoms: a population-based study. Arthritis care & research.64(11):1708-14.
- Canizares,M., MacKay,C., Davis,A.M., Mahomed,N., & Badley,E.M. (2009). A population-based study of ambulatory and surgical services provided by orthopaedic surgeons for musculoskeletal conditions. BMC Health Services Research.9:56.
- Davis,A.M., Perruccio,A.V., Ibrahim,S., Hogg-Johnson,S., Wong,R., & Badley,E.M. (2012). Understanding recovery: changes in the relationships of the International Classification of Functioning (ICF) components over time. Social Science & Medicine.75(11):1999-2006.
- Davis,A.M., Perruccio,A.V., Ibrahim,S., Hogg-Johnson,S., Wong,R., Streiner,D.L., Beaton,D.E., Cote,P., Gignac,M.A., Flannery,J., Schemitsch,E., Mahomed,N.N., & Badley,E.M. (1919). The trajectory of recovery and the inter-relationships of symptoms, activity and participation in the first year following total hip and knee replacement. Osteoarthritis & Cartilage.(12), 1413-1421.
- Davis,A.M., Wong,R., Badley,E.M., & Gignac,M.A. (2009). There’s more to life than everyday function: the challenge of measuring social role participation in ankylosing spondylitis. [Review] [33 refs]. Nature Clinical Practice Rheumatology.5(1):46-51.
- Gignac,M.A., Backman,C.L., Davis,A.M., Lacaille,D., Cao,X., & Badley,E.M. (2013). Social role participation and the life course in healthy adults and individuals with osteoarthritis: are we overlooking the impact on the middle-aged? Social Science & Medicine.81:87-93.
- Gignac,M.A., Backman,C.L., Kaptein,S., Lacaille,D., Beaton,D.E., Hofstetter,C., & Badley,E.M. (2012). Tension at the borders: perceptions of role overload, conflict, strain and facilitation in work, family and health roles among employed individuals with arthritis. Rheumatology.51(2):324-32.
- Gignac,M.A., Cao,X., Lacaille,D., Anis,A.H., & Badley,E.M. (2008). Arthritis-related work transitions: a prospective analysis of reported productivity losses, work changes, and leaving the labor force. Arthritis & Rheumatism.59(12):1805-13.
- Hawker,G.A., Badley,E.M., Croxford,R., Coyte,P.C., Glazier,R.H., Guan,J., Harvey,B.J., Williams,J.I., & Wright,J.G. (2009). A population-based nested case-control study of the costs of hip and knee replacement surgery. Medical Care.47(7):732-41.
- Kaptein,S.A., & Badley,E.M. (2012). Sex differences, age, arthritis, and chronic disease: influence on physical activity behaviors. Journal of Physical Activity & Health.9(4):540-8.
- Kaptein,S.A., Gignac,M.A., & Badley,E.M. (2009). Differences in the workforce experiences of women and men with arthritis disability: a population health perspective. Arthritis & Rheumatism.61(5):605-13.
- MacKay,C., Canizares,M., Davis,A.M., & Badley,E.M. (2010). Health care utilization for musculoskeletal disorders. Arthritis care & research.62(2):161-9.
- Perruccio,A.V., Badley,E.M., Hogg-Johnson,S., & Davis,A.M. (2010). Characterizing self-rated health during a period of changing health status. Social Science & Medicine.71(9):1636-43.
- Perruccio,A.V., Davis,A.M., Hogg-Johnson,S., & Badley,E.M. (2011). Importance of self-rated health and mental well-being in predicting health outcomes following total joint replacement surgery for osteoarthritis. Arthritis care & research.63(7):973-81.
- Slater,M., Perruccio,A.V., & Badley,E.M. (2011). Musculoskeletal comorbidities in cardiovascular disease, diabetes and respiratory disease: the impact on activity limitations; a representative population-based study. BMC Public Health.11:77.