Cornelia J. Baines M.D., M.Sc., FACE
- Email Address(es)
- Office Phone
- (416) 978-1458
- Office Address
- Faculty of Public Health Health Sciences Building, 155 College Street, Room 576 Toronto, ON M5T 3M7
- Epidemiology Division
- Professor Emerita
- SGS Status
- Member Emerita
- Appointment Status
- Efficacy of breast cancer screening
- Influence of conflicts of interest on health policy
- Effect on health of wind turbines
Education & Training History
MD University of Toronto, Toronto
MSc in Design, Measurement and Evaluation, McMaster University, Hamilton.
- Continuing Senior Fellow, Massey College, University of Toronto
- Fellow, Senior College, University of Toronto
- Fellow, American College of Epidemiology
- Member Emerita, College Physicians and Surgeons, Ontario
Primary Teaching Responsibilities
CHL7001H: Health: An engine for the journey to peace – one lecture annually
Intermittent invited lectures: “How conflicts of interest influence health policy” and “Examining the wind turbine controversy”
Professional Summary & Appointments
Professor Emerita, Dalla Lana Faculty of Public Health, University of Toronto
Advisor to Evidence.Network.ca 2012 –
Expert Witness at Environmental Review Tribunal hearings in 2011 and 2013 appraising adverse health effects of wind turbines.
Member, Task Force on Environmental Health (Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care) 2016-
Current Research Projects
- 1981 until present: Participation in continuing analysis of results of the Canadian National Breast Screening Study
- 2011 until present: reviewing evidence relating to adverse health effects attributed to wind turbines.
- Jorgensen KJ, Kalager M, Barratt A, Baines CJ et al. Overview of guidelines on breast screening: Why recommendations differ and what to do about it. The Breast. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.breast./2016.08.002
- Baines CJ, To T, Miller AB. Revised estimates of overdiagnosis from the Canadian National Breast Screening Study. Preventive Medicine. http://dx./dpo./prg/10.1016/y.pmed.2016.06.033
- Bleyer A, Baines C, Miller AB. Impact of screening mammography on breast cancer mortality. International Journal of Cancer. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ijc/29925/abstract (2015)
- To T, Wall C, Baines CJ, Miller AB. Carcinoma in situ, a precursor lesion of invasive cancer. International Journal of Cancer 2014. 20;135:1646-52.
- Miller AB, Wall C, Baines CJ et al. Twenty-five year follow-up of the Canadian National Breast Screening Study. BMJ 2014;348:g366 doi: 10.1136/bmj.g366 (Feb 11, 2014).
- Baines CJ. An Overview of Breast Screening. in Epidemiology of Women’s Health (ed) Senie R. Jones and Bartlett. NYC, 2013.
- Baines CJ. Unpacking the great mammography debate. The Canadian Women’s Health Network. http://www.cwhn.ca/en/tothepoint/unpackingmammography December 18, 2012.
- Baines CJ. Unnecessary Uncertainty is Unacceptable. Can Med Assoc J. July 3, 2012, doi: 10.1503/cmaj.120437.
- Baines CJ. Frank words about breast screening. Open Medicine 2011;5:E132
- Baines CJ. Rational and irrational issues in breast cancer screening. Cancers 2011. http://www.mdpi.com/journal/cancers/index
- Baines CJ. Mammography Screening. It’s Time to Accept the Evidence. HuffPost Social News. 01/23/2012
- Celebrating CE&B/HEI’s 50th anniversary: a DME Grad remembers! David Braley Health Science Center, McMaster University, Hamilton. Sept 7, 2017.
External Committees and Working Groups:
- Member, Task Force on Environmental Health, Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-term Care (2016-2019)
- Hu H, Baines CJ. Recent insights and opportunities for three under-recognized conditions; myalgic encephalitis-chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia and environmental sensitivities- multiple chemical sensitivity. Invited and submitted to Can Med Assoc J, November 2017
- Baines CJ, To T, Miller AB. Revised estimates of overdiagnosis from the Canadian National Breast Screening Study. Preventive Medicine 2016. http://dx.doi,org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2016.06.033
- Jorgensen KJ, Kalager M, Barratt A, Baines CJ et al. Overview of guidelines on breast screening: Why recommendations differ and what to do about it. The Breast. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/jbreast.21016.08.002
- Bleyer A, Baines C, Miller AB. Impact of screening mammography on breast cancer mortality. Int J Cancer 2015. DOI: 1002/ijc.29925
Other Professional Activities
- Invited to review by Oxford Bibliographies 2017.
- Invited to review the draft of breast screening guidelines for 2018 by the Canadian Task Force on Preventive Health Services.