Solomon (Solly) Robert Benatar MBChB, DSc (Med), FFA (SA), FRCP (Lond), FACP(Hon)
- Email Address(es)
- Office Address
- Joint Centre for Bioethics 155 College Street, Room 754 Toronto, Ontario , Ontario M5T 1P8
- Curriculum Vitae
- Clinical Public Health Division
Office of Global Public Health Education & Training
- Adjunct Professor
- SGS Status
- Associate Member
- International Research Ethics
- Public Health Ethics
- Global Health Ethics
- Global Health
- Health services in South Africa and funding for HIV/AIDS
- Human Rights
Education & Training History
1965 MBChB University of Cape Town
1967-1968 General Practice, Port Elizabeth
1969-1971 Anaesthetic Registrar, Groote Schuur Hospital.
1972 Medical Registrar, Groote Schuur Hospital.
1973 Research Fellow, Northwick Park Hospital (British MRC), London.
1973-1974 Research Fellow & Honorary Registrar Brompton Hospital/Cardiothoracic Institute, London.
Emeritus Professor of Medicine, University of Cape Town
Past Founding Director, Centre for Bioethics, University of Cape Town
Primary Teaching Responsibilities
- Bioethics to medical students at the University of Cape Town (UCT)
- Module in International Research Ethics MHSc (Bioethics) University of Toronto
- Global Health and Global Health Ethics (JCB and DLSPH)
Professional Summary & Appointments
Professor and Head, Department of Medicine, University of Cape Town & Groote Schuur Hospital (1980-1999)
Professor of Medicine University of Cape Town (1980-2007)
Vice-President, (1989-1992); Senior Vice-President (1992-1995): Colleges of Medicine of South Africa.
Chief Physician Groote Schuur Hospital (1980-2007)
Founding Director, University of Cape Town Bioethics Centre (1992-2012)
Visiting Professor in Medical Ethics University College/Royal Free Medical School London (1997-)
South African Representative – The Novartis Foundation Scientific Advisory Panel (1998-2007)
President International Association of Bioethics (2001-2003)
Principal Investigator & Director IRENSA – A US NIH Fogarty International Center Capacity Building Program (2003-2011)
Annual Visiting Professor in Medicine & Publc Health Sciences. Univesity of Toronto (2000-2007)
Member of Faculty, McLaughlin Centre for Global Health, University of Toronto (2008-2011)
Professor, Dalla Lana School of Public Health (1/3 FTE, 1/4 FTE), University of Toronto (2008-2012)
Honorary/Guest member National Academy of Sciences’ Committee on Human Rights (1989-)
Member Advisory Board Global Physicians and Lawyers for Human Rights (2000-)
Ethics Advisor to Medecins Sans Frontieres (2001-)
Ethics Advisor to the Nelson Mandela Foundation (2003 -)
Member Canadian Institutes of Health Research Standing Committee on Ethics (2006-13)
Honours & Awards
- Elected Foreign Associate Member, U.S. National Academy of Sciences’ Institute of Medicine, 1989.
- Hans Snyckers Memorial Award 1990 (For creative contributions to Medicine in South Africa)
- Elected Honorary Fellow American College of Physicians 1993.
- Elected Founder Member South African Academy of Science 1994
- Fellow Program in Ethics and the Professions, Harvard University 1994/95
- Visiting Professor Harvard Medical School 1994/95
- Elected Life Fellow University of Cape Town 1994
- Elected Honorary Foreign Member American Academy of Arts and Sciences 1996.
- Elected Fellow Royal Society of South Africa 1997
- Elected Honorary Fellow South African Thoracic Society 2001
- Elected Honorary Fellow College of Physicians of South Africa 2001
- Elected Honorary Member Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society, California 2002.
- Elected Fellow of the Hastings Center, New York 2004
- Elected Fellow Imperial College London 2005
- Paul B Beeson Visiting Professor Yale University School of Medicine 2005
- Golden Jubilee Award Colleges of Medicine of South Africa 2005
- Elected Fellow of ETHOX Centre, Oxford University 2009
- Mayor of Cape Town`s Medal for Social Affairs & Services for contributions to the study of Medicine in South Africa. 2011
- Henry Knowles Beecher Award. Hastings Center, New York. 2013
- Hatter Award. University of Cape Town/University College London 2015
Current Research Projects
Benatar S R. Ethics and research on global health: contrasting perspectives from different world views
Benatar S R. Health in Developing Countries. For: Encyclopedia of Social and Behavioural Sciences
Benatar S R. Living, Dying & Suffering in a Globalising World (in press)
Benatar S R. Health: Global. Encyclopedia of Global Health Ethics (In press)
Benatar S R. Ashcroft R. Resource allocation in an international perspective. Encylopedia of Biological Sciences (in press)
Benatar S R, Poland B. Lessons for health from insights into the environmental crisis
Moosa R, Benatar S R. Using the ‘Accountability for Reasonableness’ approach to improve fairness in accessing dialysis in a middle-income country
Benatar S R. The future of health and health care in South Africa
Benatar S R. Advancing the global health agenda
Benatar S R. Medical Education in S Africa in the 21st century: Some personal thoughtsl health
Benatar S R, Pogge T. Defining poverty: How and Why?
- Benatar S.R. Global disparities in health and human rights: a critical commentary. Amer J Public Health. 1998; 88: 295-300.
- Benatar S R, Daar A, Singer P A. Global health ethics: the rationale for mutual caring. International Affairs. 2003; 79: 107-138.
- Benatar S R. Health care reform and the crisis of HIV/AIDS in South Africa. New Engl J Med; 2004; 351: 81-92.
- Benatar S R Towards progress in resolving dilemmas in international research ethics. Journal of Law, Medicine and Ethics. 2004; 32: (4) 574-582
- Benatar S R. Moral imagination: the missing component in global health. Public Library of Science Medicine. 2005: 2 (12) e400.
- Benatar S R, Upshur R. Dual loyalty of physicians in the military context and in civilian life. American J Public Health 2008; 98: 2161-2167
- Benatar S R. Ethics and tropical diseases: some global considerations. Manson’s Textbook of Infectious Diseases. 21st Edition 2003, 22nd & Edition 2008
- Benatar S R, Doyal L. Human Rights Abuses: Balancing two perspectives. International Journal of Health Services. 2009; 39 (1) 139-159)
- Benatar S R, Gill S, Bakker I. Making progress in global health: the need for a new paradigm. International Affairs 2009. 85 (2) 347-371.
- Benatar S R, Upshur R. Poverty & Tuberculosis: what could (and should) be done? International Journal of Tuberculosis & Lung Diseases. 2010; 14 (10) 1215-1221.
- Benatar S R, Gill S, Bakker I C. Global health and the global economic crisis, American Journal of Public Health 2011. 101 (4) 646-653.
- Nixon S, Benatar S R. A critical public health ethics analysis of Canada’s international response to HIV Global Public Health. First published on line 9th March 2011.
- Benatar S R. Some oxygen please for poverty alleviation strategies. International Journal of Tuberculosis & Lung Diseases. 2011; 14 (11) 1425
- Benatar S, Brock G. (Editors) Global Health and Global Health Ethics, Cambridge University Press 2011
- Benatar S R. Ethical challenges for health care in South Africa. In: Health Care in South Africa. HCJ Van Rensburg (Ed). 2nd Edition Van Schaik, Pretoria. 2012 Pp 653-700
- Benatar S R. Global leadership, ethics & global health: The seaarch for new paradigms. In: Global Crises & the Crisis of Global Health. Gill S (Ed) CUP 2011 pp127-143
- Benatar S R. Global Health, Vulneable Populations and the Law. Journal of Law Medicine and Ethics. Spring 2013
- Kevany S. Benatar S, Fleischer T. Imptoving resource allocation decisions for health & HiV programmes in S Africa: Bioethical, cost-effectiveness & health diplomacy considerations. Global Public Health 2013
- Mayosi BM, Benatar S R. Health and health care in South Africa: 20 years after Mandela.N Engl J Med 2014; 371: 1344-1353
- Benatar SR, Upshur R. Virtue and Values in Medicine Revisited: Individual Health & Global Health. Clinical Medicine 2014: 14: (5) 495-9
- Benatar S R. Explaining and responding to the Ebola epidemic. Philosophy, Ethics, and Humanities in Medicine (2015) 10:5 DOI 10.1186/s13010-015-0027-8
- Benatar SR. Bioethics in South Africa. Encyclopedia of Bioethics. 4th Edition. Jennings B (Ed) Farmington Hills MI, Gale Cengage Learning. 2014 pp 116-120