Caroline Bennett-Abuayyash MSc, PhD
- Email Address(es)
- Office Address
- Sinai Health System Office of Human Rights & Health Equity 60 Murray Street, L2-416A Toronto, ON M5T 3L9
- Measuring Health Equity in Toronto
- Social & Behavioural Health Sciences Division
- Assistant Professor
- SGS Status
- Associate Member
- Appointment Status
- Status Only
- Opportunities and challenges in building organizational capacity to collect and use patient/client demographic data
- Embedding equity in health care quality conversations, metrics, and reports
- Building organizational and system-level accountability on health equity
- Evaluating interventions for reducing health inequities
- Systemic discrimination and prejudice in health care
- Creating inclusive and respectful environments in health care
Education & Training History
PhD- Social Psychology, University of Western Ontario (2011)
MSc- Social Psychology, University of Western Ontairo (2006)
BA- Political Science & Public Administration, American University of Beirut (2000)
Certificate- Disparities Leadership Program, Massachusetts General Hospital & Harvard Medical School (2015)
Health Equity Specialist, Office of Human Rights & Health Equity, Sinai Health System
Tan-McGrory, A., Bennett-AbuAyyash, C., Gee, S., Dabney, K., Cowden, J. D., Williams, L, Rafton, S., Nettles, A. Pagura, S., Homes, L., Goleman, J., Caldwell, L., Page, J., Oceanic, P., McMullen, E., Lopera, A., Beiter, S., & Lopez, L. (2018). Identifying Disparities in Pediatrics: Sample Practices for Data Collection. BMC Pediatrics, 8. https://bmcpediatr.biomedcentral.com/track/pdf/10.1186/s12887-018-0997-y?site=bmcpediatr.biomedcentral.com
Esses, V. M., Bennett-AbuAyyash, C., & Lapshina, N. (2014). How discrimination against ethnic and religious minorities contributes to the underutilization of immigrants’ skills. Policy Insights from the Behavioral and Brain Sciences, 1, 55-62.
Wray. R., Agic, B., Bennett-AbuAyyash, C., Kanee, M., Lam, R., & Mohamed, A., & Tuck, A. (2013, September). We ask because we case: The tri-hospital + TPH health equity data collection project. Toronto, ON: Health Equity Data Collection Project Committee.
Esses, V.M., Bennett-AbuAyyash, C., & Medianu, S. (2011). Attitudes toward asylum seekers and refugees. In D.J. Christie (Ed), Encyclopedia of peace psychology. Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell.
Esses, V. M., Hamilton, L., Bennett-AbuAyyash, C., & Burstein, M. (2010). What is a welcoming community? Research report prepared for the Integration Branch of Citizenship and Immigration Canada.
Esses, V.M., Jackson, L.M., & Bennett-AbuAyyash, C. (2010). Intergroup competition. In J.F. Dovidio, M. Hewstone, P. Glick, & V.M. Esses (Eds.), Handbook of prejudice, stereotyping, and discrimination. Sage: London, England.