Flora I. Matheson BA, MA, PhD (Sociology)
- Email Address(es)
- Office Phone
- 416-864-6060 x 77482
- Office Address
- Centre for Urban Health Solutions, St. Michael's Hospital 30 Bond Street Toronto, ON M5B 1W8
- St. Michael's Hospital, Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences
- Office of Global Public Health Education & Training
Social & Behavioural Health Sciences Division
- Associate Professor
- SGS Status
- Associate Member
- Appointment Status
- Status Only
- Prisoner Health
- Gender inequities health
- Mental Health
- Substance & Problem Gambling Addictions
- Women’s Health
- Mixed methods
Education & Training History
Post-Doctoral Studies (Medical Sociology), 2002-2005
- Structural Stresss and Gender Differences in Psychiatric and Physicial Health
Doctorate of Philosophy (Sociology), 2002
- Dissertation: “Hostile Women, Sullen Men and the Social-Psychological Consequences of Power, Control, and the Occupational Personality.”
- Supervisory Committee: Dr. A.R. Gillis, Dr. Blair Wheaton, Sociology, Dr. Patricia Erickson, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health.
Master of Arts in Sociology, University of Toronto, 1990
- Crime, Deviance, and Socio-legal Studies
Honours Bachelor of Arts, University of Toronto, 1989
- Specialist Sociology, Major, Crime and Deviance
Primary Teaching Responsibilities
- Dalla Lana School of Public Health, University of Toronto
- Undergraduate Medical Education, University of Toronto
- The ACHIEVE Research Partnership: Action for Health Equity Interventions, Centre for Research on Inner City Health, St. Michael’s Hospital
Professional Summary & Appointments
- Research Scientist, Centre for Urban Health Solutions, St. Michael’s Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, February
- Assistant Professor, Dalla Lana School of Public Health, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario
- Scientist, Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences, Toronto, Ontario
- Associate Graduate Faculty Member, Centre for Criminology & Socio-legal Studies, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario
Honours & Awards
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, St. Michael’s Hospital, 2002-2005
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Summer Institute in Interdisciplinary Health Research, Canadian Institutes of Health Research, 2003
- Open Doctoral Fellowship, University of Toronto, 1990-1992
- Open Master’s Fellowship, University of Toronto, 1989-1990
- Lois Spiegel Book Prize, University of Toronto, 1989
- Dean’s Honor List and Faculty Scholar, University of Toronto, 1987-1989
- Full Tuition Scholarship, University of Prince Edward Island, 1986-1987
- Dean’s Honor List, University of Prince Edward Island 1985-87
Current Research Projects
- Engaging the Community to Respond to Problem Gambling among People Experiencing Poverty. Ontario Problem Gambling Research Centre.
- Problem Gambling and Housing Instability. Ontario Problem Gambling Research Centre.
- Gambling Research Exchange Ontario (GREO) Knowledge HUB: Program of Research on Complexity and Problem Gambling.
- The relationship between traumatic brain injury, incarceration and prison misconduct: identifying opportunities to break the cycle. Social Sciences & Humanities Research Council of Canada.
- From prison to community: developing a Transition Intervention Program for formerly incarcerated persons with HIV. St. Michael’s Foundation Translational Innovation Fund.
- Does subsidized housing improve mental health and healthy child development? GTA West Housing and Health Study Renewal. Canadian Institutes of Health Research.
- The urban built environment and health: Implications for diabetes prevention. Canadian Institutes of Health Research.
- Effects of Housing Redevelopment on Mental Health, Child Development and Community Life in Toronto’s Regent Park. John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation.
Guilcher SJT, Hamilton-Wright S, Skinner W, Woodhall-Melnik J, Ferentzy P, Wendaferew A, Hwang SW, Matheson FI. Talk with me: Perspectives on services for men with problem gambling and housing instability. BMC Health Services Research.
Matheson FI., Dunn JR, Smith K, Moineddin R, Glazier RH. “Development of the Canadian Marginalization Index: a new tool for the study of inequality.” Canadian Journal of Public Health, 2012: 103(Supplement 2): S12-S16.
van der Maas, M., Mann, R.E., Turner, N.E., Matheson, FI, McCready, J. Problem gambling in a sample of older adult casino gamblers: Associations with gambling participation and motivations. Accepted June 2016, Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry and Neurology.
Kirst M, Aery A, Matheson FI, and Stergiopoulos V. Provider and consumer perceptions of trauma informed practices and services for substance use and mental health problems. International Journal of Mental Health and Addiction.
Barker L, Kurdyak P, Fung K, Matheson FI, Vigod, S. Postpartum psychiatric emergency visits: a nested case-control study. Archives of Women’s Mental Health.
Woodhall-Melnik J, Hamilton-Wright S, Daoud, N, Matheson FI, Dunn JR, O’Campo P. Establishing Stability: Exploring the Meaning of ‘Home’ for Women who Have Experienced Intimate Partner Violence. Journal of Housing and the Built Environment.
Murphy KE, Park AL, Matheson FI, Gozdyra P, Bartsch E, Creatore MI, Ray JG. Preterm delivery in relation to neighbourhood-level adult premature mortality. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Canada, 2016;38(3):258-264.
Woodhall-Melnik J, Matheson FI. More than Convenience: The Role of Habitus in Understanding the Food Choices of Fast Food Workers. Employment, and Society. DOI: 10.1177/0950017016648255
Ray JG, Turner L, Gozdyra P, Matheson FI, Bartsch E, Park, AL. (2015). On-premise alcohol establishments and ambulance calls for trauma, assault and intoxication. Medicine.
Baxter, A, Salmon, C, Dufresne, K, Carasco-Lee, A, Matheson, FI. (2016). Gender differences in felt stigma and barriers to help-seeking for problem gambling. Addictive Behaviors Reports.
Creatore MI, Glazier RH, Moineddin R, Fazli GS, Johns A, Gozdyra P, Matheson FI, Kaufman‐Shriqui V, Rosella LC, Manuel D, Booth GL. Association of Neighborhood Walkability with Change in Overweight, Obesity, and Diabetes. JAMA.
Schuler A, Ferentzy P, Turner NE, Skinner W, McIsaac KE, Ziegler CP, Matheson FI. Gamblers Anonymous as a recovery pathway: A scoping review. Journal of Gambling Studies.
Devotta KA, Woodhall-Melnik JR, Pedersen C, Wendaferew A, Dowbor TP, Guilcher SJ, Hamilton-Wright S, Ferentzy P, Hwang SW, Matheson FI. Enriching qualitative research by engaging peer interviewers: A case study. Qualitative Research.
Kouyoumdjian FG, Schuler A, Matheson FI, Hwang SW. The health status of prisoners in Canada: A narrative review. Canadian Family Physician, Can Fam Physician 2016;62:215-22.
Kouyoumdjian FG, Schuler A, McIsaac KE, Pivnick L, Matheson FI, Brown G, Kiefer L, Silva D, Hwang SW. Using a Delphi process to define priorities for prison health research in Canada. BMJ open 6, no. 1 (2016): e010125.
Velonis A, Daoud N, Matheson FI, Woodhall-Melnik J, Hamilton-Wright S, O’Campo P. Strategizing Safety –Theoretical Frameworks to Understand Women’s Decision Making in the Face of Partner Violence and Social Inequities. Journal of Interpersonal Violence.
Kouyoumdjian FG, Schuler A, Hwang SW, Matheson FI. Research on the health of people who experience detention or incarceration in Canada: A scoping review. BMC Public Health, 2015: 15, 419.
Matheson FI, Daoud N, Hamilton-Wright S, Borenstein H, O’Campo P. Where did she go? The transformation of self-esteem, self-identity and mental well-being among women who have experienced intimate partner violence. Women’s Health Issues.