Tony Panzarella MSc
- Clinical trials, including analysis and reporting of equivalence trials
- Survival analysis
- Effective consultation
Education & Training History
Master of Science in Applied Statistics
University of Toronto.
Honour’s Bachelor of Science with a double major – statistics and mathematics,
University of Toronto.
Member, Statistical Society of Canada and Society for Clinical Trials
Primary Teaching Responsibilities
- Director and Lead Instructor for Lab Course CHL5207Y / CHL5208Y
- Instructor, Categorical Data Analysis
Tony Panzarella is currently an Assistant Professor and the MSc Program Director in the Division of Biostatistics, Dalla Lana School of Public Health. He is also currently President of the Southern Ontario Regional Association of the Statistical Society of Canada and the Southern Ontario Chapter of the American Statistical Association (2019-2022). Previously, Tony worked at Princess Margaret Cancer Centre, where he was the Manager of the Biostatistics Department since January 1998. He first joined Princess Margaret as a biostatistician in 1985. Tony graduated from the University of Toronto in 1985 with an MSc in Applied Statistics, and an Honours BSc in 1984, with majors in Statistics and Mathematics. Tony has co-authored more than 150 publications in clinical cancer research. He has been an active member of the Society for Clinical Trials since 1986 and is designated as a Professional Statistician (PStat) by the Statistical Society of Canada. His professional interests include teaching statistics, survival analysis, randomized clinical trials and effective statistical consulting.
Honours & Awards
- Clinical Teacher Award 2005, Radiation Medicine Program, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre
Current Research Projects
- A Randomized Pilot Trial comparing Anti-Thymocyte Globulin (ATG) with ATG plus Post Transplant Cyclophosphamide for Prophylaxis against Acute and Chronic Graft Versus Host Disease in Matched Donor Hematopoietic Cell Transplants.
- Prospective Cohort Study Comparing Perioperative Outcomes In Women Undergoing Robotic, Laparoscopic and Open Surgery for Endometrial Cancer
- Pre-consultation Educational Group Intervention to Improve Shared Decision Making for Post-mastectomy Breast Reconstruction.
- A Randomized Trial of Thymoglobulin to Prevent Chronic Graft versus Host Disease in Patients Undergoing Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation from Unrelated Donors.
- Yap ML, Tieu M, Sappiatzer J, Panzarella T, Cuartero J, McCready D, Fyles A.
Outcomes in Patients Treated with Post-mastectomy Chest Wall Radiotherapy without
the Routine Use of Bolus. Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol). 2018 Mar 23. pii:
S0936-6555(18)30165-1. doi: 10.1016/j.clon.2018.03.005. [Epub ahead of print]
PubMed PMID: 29580696.
- Spiegel JY, McNamara C, Kennedy JA, Panzarella T, Arruda A, Stockley T, Sukhai
M, Thomas M, Bartoszko J, Ho J, Siddiq N, Maze D, Schimmer A, Schuh A, Sibai H,
Yee K, Claudio J, Devlin R, Minden MD, Kamel-Reid S, Gupta V. Impact of genomic
alterations on outcomes in myelofibrosis patients undergoing JAK1/2 inhibitor
therapy. Blood Adv. 2017 Sep 8;1(20):1729-1738. doi:
10.1182/bloodadvances.2017009530. eCollection 2017 Sep 12. PubMed PMID: 29296819;
PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5728340.
- Pan H, Gray R, Braybrooke J, Davies C, Taylor C, McGale P, Peto R, Pritchard
KI, Bergh J, Dowsett M, Hayes DF; EBCTCG. 20-Year Risks of Breast-Cancer
Recurrence after Stopping Endocrine Therapy at 5 Years. N Engl J Med. 2017 Nov
9;377(19):1836-1846. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa1701830. PubMed PMID: 29117498; PubMed
Central PMCID: PMC5734609.
- Kariminia A, Ivison S, Ng B, Rozmus J, Sung S, Varshney A, Aljurf M, Lachance
S, Walker I, Toze C, Lipton J, Lee SJ, Szer J, Doocey R, Lewis I, Smith C,
Chaudhri N, Levings MK, Broady R, Devins G, Szwajcer D, Foley R, Mostafavi S,
Pavletic S, Wall DA, Couban S, Panzarella T, Schultz KR. CD56(bright) natural
killer regulatory cells in filgrastim primed donor blood or marrow products
regulate chronic graft-versus-host disease: the Canadian Blood and Marrow
Transplant Group randomized 0601 study results. Haematologica. 2017
Nov;102(11):1936-1946. doi: 10.3324/haematol.2017.170928. Epub 2017 Sep 21.
PubMed PMID: 28935847; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5664398.
- Bartoszko J, Panzarella T, McNamara CJ, Lau A, Schimmer AD, Schuh AC, Sibai H,Maze D, Yee KWL, Devlin R, Gupta V. Distribution and Impact of Comorbidities on
Survival and Leukemic Transformation in Myeloproliferative Neoplasm-Associated
Myelofibrosis: A Retrospective Cohort Study. Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk. 2017
Nov;17(11):774-781. doi: 10.1016/j.clml.2017.06.031. Epub 2017 Jun 29. PubMed