Tony Panzarella MSc
- Email Address(es)
- Office Phone
- Office Address
- DLSPH 6th Floor, Room 632 155 College St Toronto, ON M5T 3M7
- Dalla Lana School of Public Health
- Biostatistics Division
- Assistant Professor
- SGS Status
- Associate Member
- Appointment Status
- Clinical trials, including analysis and reporting of equivalence trials
- Survival analysis
- Effective consultation
Education & Training History
Master of Science in Applied Statistics
University of Toronto.
Honour’s Bachelor of Science with a double major – statistics and mathematics,
University of Toronto.
Member, Statistical Society of Canada and Society for Clinical Trials
Primary Teaching Responsibilities
- Director and Lead Instructor for Lab Course CHL5207Y / CHL5208Y
- Instructor, Categorical Data Analysis
Tony Panzarella is currently an Assistant Professor and the MSc Program Director in the Division of Biostatistics, Dalla Lana School of Public Health. He recently retired from Princess Margaret Cancer Centre, where he was the Manager of the Biostatistics Department since January 1998. He first joined Princess Margaret as a biostatistician in 1985. Tony graduated from the University of Toronto in 1985 with an MSc in Applied Statistics, and an Honours BSc in 1984, with majors in Statistics and Mathematics. Tony has co-authored more than 140 publications in clinical cancer research. He is currently a statistical reviewer for the journal Biology of Blood and Marrow Transplantation. He has been an active member of the Society for Clinical Trials since 1986 and is designated as a Professional Statistician by the Statistical Society of Canada. His professional interests include teaching statistics, survival analysis, randomized clinical trials and effective statistical consulting.
Honours & Awards
- Clinical Teacher Award 2005, Radiation Medicine Program, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre
Current Research Projects
- Pre-consultation Educational Group Intervention to Improve Shared Decision Making for Post-mastectomy Breast Reconstruction.
- A Randomized Trial of Thymoglobulin to Prevent Chronic Graft versus Host Disease in Patients Undergoing Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation from Unrelated Donors.
- Yap ML, Tieu M, Sappiatzer J, Panzarella T, Cuartero J, McCready D, Fyles A.
Outcomes in Patients Treated with Post-mastectomy Chest Wall Radiotherapy without
the Routine Use of Bolus. Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol). 2018 Mar 23. pii:
S0936-6555(18)30165-1. doi: 10.1016/j.clon.2018.03.005. [Epub ahead of print]
PubMed PMID: 29580696.
- Spiegel JY, McNamara C, Kennedy JA, Panzarella T, Arruda A, Stockley T, Sukhai
M, Thomas M, Bartoszko J, Ho J, Siddiq N, Maze D, Schimmer A, Schuh A, Sibai H,
Yee K, Claudio J, Devlin R, Minden MD, Kamel-Reid S, Gupta V. Impact of genomic
alterations on outcomes in myelofibrosis patients undergoing JAK1/2 inhibitor
therapy. Blood Adv. 2017 Sep 8;1(20):1729-1738. doi:
10.1182/bloodadvances.2017009530. eCollection 2017 Sep 12. PubMed PMID: 29296819;
PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5728340.
- Pan H, Gray R, Braybrooke J, Davies C, Taylor C, McGale P, Peto R, Pritchard
KI, Bergh J, Dowsett M, Hayes DF; EBCTCG. 20-Year Risks of Breast-Cancer
Recurrence after Stopping Endocrine Therapy at 5 Years. N Engl J Med. 2017 Nov
9;377(19):1836-1846. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa1701830. PubMed PMID: 29117498; PubMed
Central PMCID: PMC5734609.
- Kariminia A, Ivison S, Ng B, Rozmus J, Sung S, Varshney A, Aljurf M, Lachance
S, Walker I, Toze C, Lipton J, Lee SJ, Szer J, Doocey R, Lewis I, Smith C,
Chaudhri N, Levings MK, Broady R, Devins G, Szwajcer D, Foley R, Mostafavi S,
Pavletic S, Wall DA, Couban S, Panzarella T, Schultz KR. CD56(bright) natural
killer regulatory cells in filgrastim primed donor blood or marrow products
regulate chronic graft-versus-host disease: the Canadian Blood and Marrow
Transplant Group randomized 0601 study results. Haematologica. 2017
Nov;102(11):1936-1946. doi: 10.3324/haematol.2017.170928. Epub 2017 Sep 21.
PubMed PMID: 28935847; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5664398.
- Bartoszko J, Panzarella T, McNamara CJ, Lau A, Schimmer AD, Schuh AC, Sibai H,Maze D, Yee KWL, Devlin R, Gupta V. Distribution and Impact of Comorbidities on
Survival and Leukemic Transformation in Myeloproliferative Neoplasm-Associated
Myelofibrosis: A Retrospective Cohort Study. Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk. 2017
Nov;17(11):774-781. doi: 10.1016/j.clml.2017.06.031. Epub 2017 Jun 29. PubMed