Kevin E Thorpe M.Math
- Clinical trials
- Survival analysis
- Statistical computing
- Statistical education
Primary Teaching Responsibilities
- CHL 5201H Introduction to Biostatistics I
- CHL 5225H Advanced Statistical Methods in Clinical Trials
- HAD 5303H Controlled Clinical Trials
- CHL 5202H Introduction to Biostatistics II
Current Research Projects
- 30-Day cardiac event monitor belt for recording atrial fibrillation after a cerebral ischemic event (EMBRACE): a randomized controlled trial (PI: Gladstone D).
- A Virtual Ward to Reduce Readmissions after Hospital Discharge (PI: Laupacis A/Dhalla I).
- Efficacy of Virtual Reality Exercises using Wii gaming technology in Stroke rehabilitation. (PI: Saposnic G).
- OptEC: Optimizing Early Child Development in the Primary Care Practice Setting: Pragmatic Randomized Trial of Iron Treatment for Young Children with Non-anemic Iron Deficiency (PI: Parkin P).
- Initiation of Cooling by Emergency medical services to Promote the Adoption of In-hospital therapeutic hypothermia in Cardiac arrest Survivors: the ICE-PACS Randomized Controlled Trial (PI: Scales D).
- DOIT Trial: vitamin D Outcomes and Interventions in Toddlers (PI: Maguire J).
- The METS (Measurement of Exercise Tolerance before Surgery) Study: An International Multicentre Prospective Cohort Study of Cardiopulmonary Exercise Testing For Improving Preoperative Risk Stratification for Major Non-Cardiac Surgery (PI: Wijeysundera D/Cuthbertson B).
- Sartans to Slow Alzheimer’s Disease – A Randomized Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Proof of Concept Study to see if Ventricular Enlargement can be reduced over one year in Hypertensive Mild-Moderate AD Patients treated with Angiotensin Receptor Blockers Versus ACE Inhibitors (Sartan – AD) (PI: Black S).
Selected Publications (from 73 total)
- Maguire JL, Birken CS, Khovratovich M, DeGroot J, Carsley S, Thorpe KE, Mamdani M, Parkin PC. Modifiable Determinants of Serum 25-Hydroxyvitamin D Status in Early Childhood. JAMA Pediatr 2013; doi:10.1001/2013.jamapediatrics.226
- Witt CM, Aickin M, Baca T, Cherkin D, Haan MN, Hammerschlag R, Hao JJ, Kaplan GA, Lao L, McKay T, Pierce B, Riley D, Ritenbaugh C, Thorpe K, Tunis S, Weissberg J, Berman BM. Effectiveness Guidance Document (EGD) for acupuncture research – a consensus document for conducting trials. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine 2012; 12.
- Laupacis A, Lillie E, Dueck A, Straus S, Perrier L, Burton JM, Aviv R, Thorpe K, Feasby T, Spears J. Association between chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency and multiple sclerosis: a meta-analysis. Can Med Assoc J 2011; 183:16; doi:10.1503/cmaj.111074
- Saposnik G, Teasell R, Mandani M, Hall J, McIlroy W, Cheung D, Thorpe KE, Cohen LG, Bayley M. Effectiveness of Virtual Reality Using Wii Gaming Technology in Stroke Rehabilitation. A Pilot Randomized Clinical Trial and Proof of Principle. Stroke 2010; 41: 1477-1484.
- Steinhart B, Thorpe KE, Bayoumi AM, Moe G, Januzzi JL (Jr), Mazer CD. Improving the Diagnosis of Acute Heart Failure Using a Validated Prediction Model. J Am Coll Cardiol 2009; 54; 1515-1521.
- Thorpe KE, Zwarenstein M, Oxman AD, Treweek S, Furberg CD, Altman DG, Tunis S, Bergel E, Harvey I, Magid DJ, Chalkidou K. A pragmatic-explanatory continuum indicator summary (PRECIS): a tool to help trial designers. Can Med Assoc J 2009; 180(10).
- Thorpe KE, Zwarenstein M, Oxman AD, Treweek S, Furberg CD, Altman DG, Tunis S, Bergel E, Harvey I, Magid DJ, Chalkidou K. A pragmatic-explanatory continuum indicator summary (PRECIS): a tool to help trial designers. Journal Clin Epidemiol 2009; 62: 464-475.
- Taylor DW, Barnett HJM, Haynes RB, Ferguson GG, Sackett DL, Thorpe KE, Simard D, Silver FL, Hachinski V, Clagett GP, Barnes R, Spence JD, for the ASA and Carotid Endarterectomy (ACE) Trial Collaborators. Low-dose and high-dose acetylsalicylic acid for patients undergoing carotid endarterectomy: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet 1999; Vol. 353 No. 9171.
- Barnett HJM, Taylor DW, Eliasziw M, Fox AJ, Ferguson GG, Haynes RB, Rankin RN, Clagett GP, Hachinski VC, Sackett DL, Thorpe KE, Meldrum HE for the North American Symptomatic Carotid Endarterectomy Trial Collaborators. Benefit of Carotid Endarterectomy in Patients with Symptomatic Moderate or Severe Stenosis. N Engl J Med 1998; 339:1415-1425.