- Sexual and reproductive health
- Family Planning
- Qualitative Methods; Ethnographic approaches
- Humanitarian Crisis
- Role of social, political, and religious ideologies on health decision making
- Geographic focus on Pakistan
Selected Representative Publications:
- Ataullahjan, A., Ahsan, H., Soofi, S., Habib, M. A., & Bhutta, Z. A. (2021). Eradicating Polio in Pakistan: A systematic review of programs and policies. Expert Review of Vaccines, 1-18.
- Ataullahjan, A., Vallianatos, H., & Mumtaz, Z. (2021). Violence and precarity: A neglected cause of large family sizes in Pakistan. Global public health, 1-10.
- Singh, N. S., Ataullahjan, A., Ndiaye, K., Das, J. K., Wise, P. H., Altare, C., … & Wise, P. (2021). Delivering health interventions to women, children, and adolescents in conflict settings: what have we learned from ten country case studies?. The Lancet.
- Ataullahjan, A., Samara, M., Betancourt, T.S., & Bhutta, Z. A. (2020). Mitigating toxic stress in children affected by conflict and displacement. The British Medical Journal
- Ataullahjan, A., Mumtaz, Z., & Vallianatos, H. (2020). The diverse meanings of side-effects: Contraceptive use in Pakistan. Studies in Family Planning https://doi.org/10.1111/sifp.12137
- Ataullahjan, A., Gaffey, M. F., Tounkara, M., Diarra, S., Doumbia, S., Bhutta, Z. A., & Bassani, D. G. (2020). “C’est vraiment compliqué”: a case study on the delivery of maternal and child health and nutrition interventions in the conflict-affected regions of Mali. Conflict and Health 14, 1-17.
- Ahmed, Z., Ataullahjan, A., Gaffey, M. F., Osman, M., Umutoni C., Bhutta, Z. A., & Dalmar A. A. (2020). Understanding the Factors affecting Humanitarian Health and Nutrition Response for Women and Children in Somalia since 2000: a Case Study. Conflict and Health. 14, 1-15.
- Ataullahjan, A., Mumtaz, Z., & Vallianatos, H. (2019). Family planning in Pakistan: A site of resistance. Social Science & Medicine, 230, 158-165.
- Ataullahjan, A., Mumtaz, Z., & Vallianatos, H. (2019). Family planning, Islam and sin: Understandings of moral actions in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan. Social Science & Medicine, 230, 49-56.
PhD. in Public Health (2018)
University of Alberta
Thesis: Family Planning in Pakistan: Unraveling the Complexities
MSc. in Demography and Health (2008)
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
Thesis: Common Mental Disorders and Violence in Refugee and Asylum Seeking Women in Belgium
Hon. BSc., Major in Human Biology & Religion (2007)
University of Toronto
Senior Research Associate
Centre for Global Child Health, The Hospital for Sick Children