Anthony B. Miller MD, FRCP, FRCP (C), FFPH, FACE
- Email Address(es)
- Office Phone
- (905) 885-0253
- Office Address
- 136 Charles Street Port Hope, ON L1A 1T3
- Centre for Global Health
- Professor Emeritus
- SGS Status
- Member Emeritus
- Appointment Status
- Epidemiology of Breast Cancer, and relationship to preclinical abnormalities
- Evaluation of Screening for Cancer (especially breast, cervix, colon, lung and prostate)
- Impact of nutrition, radiation (ionizing and electrical and magnetic fields) and occupation on cancer
- Environmental aspects of cancer etiology
- Control of cancer
- Non-communicable disease control
Education & Training History
B.A. (Cantab) (Pathology) 1952; M.B. (Cantab) 1956; B.Chir. (Cantab) 1955; M.R.C.P. (London) (Internal Medicine) 1964; M.F.C.M. (U.K.) (Community Medicine) 1972; F.R.C.P.(C) (Medical Science) 1972; Fellow, Faculty of Community Medicine (now Public Health), UK, 1977; Fellow, American College of Epidemiology, 1985; Fellow, Royal College of Physicians of London, England, 1987; National Health Scientist, Health and Welfare Canada, 1988-93; M.A. (Cantab), 2002; M.D. (Cantab), 2006.
Member of Scientific Staff, Medical Research Council, Tuberculosis and Chest Diseases Unit, Brompton Hospital, London, October 1962 – April 1971. Honorary Senior Lecturer, Institute of Diseases of the Chest, Brompton Hospital, London, January 1970 – April 1971.
Assistant Executive Director (Epidemiology), National Cancer Institute of Canada, April 1971-76; Director, National Cancer Institute of Canada Clinical Trials Group, Toronto, April 1971 – March 1980; Director, Epidemiology Unit, National Cancer Institute of Canada, Toronto, April 1971 – June 1986; Associate Clinical Professor, Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, April 1972 – June 1976; Associate Professor, Department of Preventive Medicine and Biostatistics, University of Toronto, June 1972 – June 1977; Professor, Department of Preventive Medicine and Biostatistics, University of Toronto, July 1977 – June 1997; Director, M.Sc./Ph.D. Programme in Epidemiology, Graduate Dept. of Community Health, University of Toronto, July 1986 – June 1991; Chairman, Department of Preventive Medicine and Biostatistics, University of Toronto, July 1992 – June 1996; Professor Emeritus, Dalla Lana School of Public Health, University of Toronto, August 2008-; Associate Director, Research, Dalla Lana School of Public Health, University of Toronto, January 2009-December, 2010.
Honours & Awards
First O Harold Warwick Prize (Eli Lilly-National Cancer Institute of Canada) for Leadership in Cancer Control, 1993.
Distinguished Achievement Award, American Society for Preventive Oncology, 1994.
Anthony B Miller Award for Excellence in Research Established, Graduate Department of Community Health, University of Toronto, 1997
Lilienfeld Award, American College of Epidemiology, Epidemiology Section American, Public Health Association, Canadian Society of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, 2001.
Medal of Honour, International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, 2003.
First Geoffrey R. Howe Distinguished Contributions Award, Canadian Society of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, 2009
26th International Papillomavirus Conference Honour Award, 2010.
Current Research Projects
- 2007 – present – Canadian National Breast Screening Study – final analysis
- Taylor KL, Luta G, Miller AB, Church TR, Kelly SP, Muenz LR, Davis KM, Dawson DL, Edmond S, Reding D, Mabie JE, Riley TL. Long-Term Disease-Specific Functioning Among Prostate Cancer Survivors and Noncancer Controls in the Prostate, Lung, Colorectal, and Ovarian Cancer Screening Trial. J Clin Oncol 2012, 10.1200/JCO.2011.41.2767.
- Miller AB, Baines CJ. The role of clinical breast examination and breast self-examination. Prev. Med. 2011; 53:118-120. doi:10.1016/j.ypmed.2011.05.001
- Johnson KC, Miller AB, Collishaw NE, Palmer JR, Hammond SK, Salmon AG, Cantor KP, Miller MD, Boyd NF, Millar J, Turcotte F. Active smoking and secondhand smoke increase breast cancer risk: the report of the Canadian Expert Panel on Tobacco Smoke and Breast Cancer Risk (2009). Tobacco Control 2011; 20:e2.doi:10.1136/tc.2010.035931
- Howlett RI, Miller AB, Pasut G, Mai V. Defining a strategy to evaluate cervical cancer prevention and early detection in the era of HPV vaccination. Prev. Med 2009; 48: 432-7.
- Hakama M, Auvinen A, Day NE, Miller AB. Sensitivity in cancer screening. J Med Screen 2007; 14:74-177.
- Miller AB, Altenburg H-P, Bueno de Mesquita B, et al. Fruits and vegetables and lung cancer: Findings from the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition. Int J Cancer 2004; 108:269-276.
- Miller AB, To T, Baines CJ, Wall C. The Canadian National Breast Screening Study-1: Breast cancer mortality after 11 to 16 years of follow-up. A randomized screening trial of mammography in women age 40 to 49 years. Ann Intern Med 2002; 137:305-312.
- MIller AB, Madalinska JB, Church T, et al. Review: Health-related quality of life and cost-effectiveness studies in the European randomised study of screening for prostate cancer and the U.S. Prostate, Lung, Colon and Ovary trial. Eur J Cancer 2001; 37:2154-2160.
- Miller AB, To T, Baines CJ, Wall C. Canadian National Breast Screening Study-2: 13-year results of a randomized trial in women age 50-59 years. J Natl Cancer Inst 2000;94:1490-1499.
- Miller AB, Nazeer S, Fonn S, et al. Report on consensus conference on cervical cancer screening and management. Int J Cancer 2000;86:440-447.
- Miller AB, To T, Agnew DA, Wall C, Green LM. Leukemia following occupational exposure to 60-Hz electric and magnetic fields among Ontario electric utility workers. Am J Epidemil 1996;144:150-160.
- Miller, A.B., Howe, G.R., Sherman, G.J., et al. Mortality from breast cancer radiation during fluroscopic examination in patients being treated for tuberculosis. New Engl. J. Med. 1989;321:1285-1289.
- Miller, A.B., Howe, G.R., Jain, M., Craib, K.J.P., Harrison, L. Food items and food groups as risk factors in a case-control study of diet and colo-rectal cancer. Int. J. Cancer 1983;32:155-161.
- Miller AB, Kelly A, Choi NW et al. A Study of Diet and Breast Cancer. Am J Epidemiol 1978: 107:499-509.