Tony Panzarella MSc
- Email Address(es)
- Office Phone
- Office Address
- DLSPH 6th Floor, Room 632 155 College St Toronto, ON M5T 3M7
- Personal website
- Biostatistics Division
- Assistant Professor
- SGS Status
- Associate Member
- Appointment Status
- Admin Position
- Director for the Biostatistics MSc program
- Phase III clinical trials
- Survival analysis
- Effective consultation
Education & Training History
Master of Science in Applied Statistics
University of Toronto.
Honour’s Bachelor of Science with a double major – statistics and mathematics,
University of Toronto.
Member, Statistical Society of Canada, American Statistical Association, and Society for Clinical Trials
Primary Teaching Responsibilities
- Director and Lead Instructor for Lab Course CHL5207Y / CHL5208Y
- Instructor, Categorical Data Analysis
Tony Panzarella is currently an Assistant Professor and the MSc Program Director in the Division of Biostatistics, Dalla Lana School of Public Health. He is also currently President of the Southern Ontario Regional Association of the Statistical Society of Canada and the Southern Ontario Chapter of the American Statistical Association (2019-2022). Previously, Tony worked at Princess Margaret Cancer Centre, where he was the Manager of the Biostatistics Department since January 1998. He first joined Princess Margaret as a biostatistician in 1985. Tony graduated from the University of Toronto in 1985 with an MSc in Applied Statistics, and an Honours BSc in 1984, with majors in Statistics and Mathematics. Tony has co-authored more than 150 publications in clinical cancer research. His professional interests include teaching statistics, randomized clinical trials, survival analysis, and effective statistical consulting.
Honours & Awards
- Awarded $5,000.00 from Statistical Society of Canada in 2019 for my proposal “For Today’s Graduate, Just One Word: Statistics”. This proposal calls for a 1-day event at the University of Toronto for STEM girls and their teachers from throughout Southern Ontario to introduce them to careers in statistics through the lens of successful women statisticians.
- 2016 Canadian Hematology Society Paper of the Year Award for “Pretreatment with anti-thymocyte globulin versus no anti-thymocyte globulin in patients with hematological malignancies undergoing haemopoietic cell transplantation from unrelated donors: a randomised, controlled, open-label, phase 3, multicentre trial” published in Lancet Oncology
- Clinical Teacher Award 2005, Radiation Medicine Program, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre
Current Research Projects
- A Randomized Pilot Trial comparing Anti-Thymocyte Globulin (ATG) with ATG plus Post Transplant Cyclophosphamide for Prophylaxis against Acute and Chronic Graft Versus Host Disease in Matched Donor Hematopoietic Cell Transplants.
- Prospective Cohort Study Comparing Perioperative Outcomes In Women Undergoing Robotic, Laparoscopic and Open Surgery for Endometrial Cancer
- Pre-consultation Educational Group Intervention to Improve Shared Decision Making for Post-mastectomy Breast Reconstruction.
- Walker I, Panzarella T, Popradi G. Addition of anti-thymocyte globulin to standard graft-versus-host disease prophylaxis – Authors’ reply. Lancet Haematol. 2020 May; 7(5) e364-e365.
- Walker I, Panzarella T, Couban S, Couture F, Devins G, Elemary M, Gallagher G, Kerr H, Kuruvilla J, Lee SJ, Moore J, Nevill T, Popradi G, Roy J, Schultz KR, Szwajcer D, Toze C, Foley R; Cell Therapy Transplant Canada. Addition of anti-thymocyte globulin to standard graft-versus-host disease prophylaxis versus standard treatment alone in patients with haematological malignancies undergoing transplantation from unrelated donors: final analysis of a randomised, open-label, multicentre, phase 3 trial. Lancet Haematol. Feb 2020
- Bender JL, Feldman-Stewart D, Tong C, Lee K, Brundage M, Pai H, Robinson J, Panzarella T. Health Related Internet Use among Men with Prostate Cancer in Canada: A Cancer Registry Survey. J Med Internet Res. 2019 Nov 19;21(11)
- Chung P, O’Malley ME, Jewett MAS, Bedard PL, Panzarella T, Sturgeon J, Moore MJ, Hamilton R, Hansen AR, Anson-Cartwright L, Gospodarowicz M, Warde P. Detection of Relapse by Low-dose Computed Tomography During Surveillance in Stage I Testicular Germ Cell Tumours. Eur Urol Oncol. 2019 Jul;2(4):437-442.
- Fatemeh Fekrmandi, Tony Panzarella, Robert Dinniwell, Joelle Helou, Wilfred Levin; Predictive Factors for Persistent and Late Radiation Complications in Breast Cancer Survivors. Clinical and Translational Oncology May 23, 2019