Peter Selby MBBS, CCFP, FCFP, MHSc, Dip ABAM
- Email Address(es)
- Office Phone
- 416-535-8501 x 36933
- Office Address
- Nicotine Dependence Clinic/Centre for Addiction and Mental Health 100 Stokes St. Toronto, ON M6J 1H4
- Clinical Public Health Division
- SGS Status
- Full Member
- Appointment Status
- Non budgtry Crss
- Tobacco dependence
- Web assisted smoking cessation
- Smoking cessation in patients with mental illness
- Smoking cessation in patients with other addictions
- Health behaviour change
- Chief, Addictions, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Toronto
- Clinician Scientist, Addictions, Research Program, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Toronto
- Clinic Head, Nicotine Dependence Clinic, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Toronto
- Medical Consultant, MotheRisk Program, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto
Primary Teaching Responsibilities
- Health Behaviour Change
Honours & Awards
- 2012 – Physician Achievement Award – Ontario Medical Association, Section on Addiction Medicine
- 2011 – President’s Shield Award – Addictions Ontario
- 2007 – Colin R. Woolf Award for Excellence/Course Coordination – Office of Continuing Education, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto
- 2007 – Award of Excellence – Ontario College of Family Physicians
- 2006 – Certificate of Appreciation – Volunteer Canada – The Jean Tweed Centre
- 2006 – Certificate of Appreciation – Toronto Public Health, City of Toronto
- 2006 – Smoke-Free Champion Award – Ontario Public Health Association
- 2005 – Certificate of Recognition – Centre for Addiction and Mental Health
- 2003 – Investigator Research Award – Ontario Tobacco Research Unit
Current Research Projects
- The STOP (Smoking Treatment for Ontario Patients) Study: The effectiveness of nicotine replacement therapy in Ontario smokers.
- Training Enhancement in Applied Counselling and Helping: A Program to Enhance Capacity for Delivery of Smoking Cessation Interventions in Ontario (TEACH)
- Quit 360
Selby P, Brosky G, Oh PI, Raymond V, Ranger S. How pragmatic or explanatory is the randomized, controlled trial? The application and enhancement of the PRECIS tool to the evaluation of a smoking cessation trial. BMC Med Res Methodol. 2012 Jul 23;12(1):101.
Zawertailo, L., Dragonetti, R., Bondy, SJ, Victor, JC, Selby, P. Reach and effectiveness of mailed nicotine replacement therapy for smokers: 6-month outcomes in a naturalistic exploratory study, tobaccocontrol.bmj.com, 10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2011-050303, Online April, 2012
Jones, H.E., Kaltenbach, K., Heil, S.H., Stine, S.M., Coyle, M.G., Arria, A.M., O’Grady, K.E., Selby, P., Martin, P.R., Fischer, G. Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome following methadone or buprenorphine exposure. N Engl J Med. 2010 Dec 9;363(24):2320-31.
Selby, P., Voci S, Zawertailo, L, George, TP, Brands, B., Individualized Smoking Cessation Treatment in an Outpatient Setting: Predictors of Outcome in a Sample with Psychiatric and Addictions Co-Morbidity, Addictive Behaviours, 2010;35(9):811-817.
Bader P, McDonald P, Selby P., An algorithm for tailoring pharmacotherapy for smoking cessation: Results from a Delphi panel of international experts. Tobacco Control 2009;18(1):34-42.