Amanda J. Sheppard PhD, MSc, BSc
- Email Address(es)
- Office Address
- Indigenous Cancer Control Unit Cancer Care Ontario 505 University Avenue Toronto, Ontario M5G 2L7
- Indigenous Cancer Care Unit, ,
- Epidemiology Division
- Assistant Professor
- SGS Status
- Associate Member
- Appointment Status
- Status Only
- Indigenous health
- Cancer control
- Addressing health inequities
Education & Training History
2010 Postdoctoral Fellowship (Epidemiology), University of Toronto
2004-2010 Doctor of Philosophy (Medical Sciences Research), University of Toronto
2001-2004 Masters of Health Science (Epidemiology), University of Toronto
1996-2000 Bachelor of Science (Biology and Anthropology), Trent University
Scientist, Indigenous Cancer Control Unit, Ontario Health, Toronto, Ontario
Adjunct Appointment, Faculty of Health Sciences, Ontario Tech University, Toronto, Ontario
Current Research Projects
- 2020-2022 Project Grant. Canadian Partnership Against Cancer. Accelerating Lung Cancer Screening Program Development and Implementation Initiative. Title: Building pathways to an Inuit informed lung cancer screening initiative in Ontario. Co-PIs: Sheppard AJ, Siedule C. Collaborators: Tammemagi M, Gambhri I, Jamal S, Tobias J.($234,500)
- 2020-2021 SARS CoV-2/COVID-19 funding competition. Queen’s University. Title: Indigenous peoples living with chronic health issues during the COVID-19 era – examining experiences in Katarokwi (Kingston, Ontario area). PI: Roy A. Collaborators: Sheppard AJ, Nolan D, Claus L, Lapointe M, Funnell S, Grady C, Bayoumi I, Green M. ($25,000).
- 2019-2022 Operating Grant. Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR). Title: Link, monitor, strategize: First Nations, Inuit, Métis peoples’ cancer burden in Canada. PI: Sheppard AJ. Principal Knowledge User: Letendre A. Co-Applicants: Jamal S, Jiang H, Ng C, Tjepkema M. Knowledge Users: Hutchinson P, Kewayosh A ($99,137).
- 2019-2023 Project Grant. Canadian Partnership Against Cancer. Title: Tobacco-Wise Cessation Services Project for First Nations, Inuit and Metis in Ontario and Saskatchewan. Co-PIs: Flynn S (Canadian Cancer Society), Steiner R. Co-Investigator: Sheppard AJ. ($1,267,000)
- 2019-2024 Project Grant. CIHR. Title: Improving Indigenous cultural safety in Ontario’s cancer screening programs. PI: Tinmouth JM. Co-PI of Aims 1-3: Sheppard AJ, Berta WB, Jull JE, Jumah NA, Kewayosh A, Llovet DN, Stewart SL. ($1,510,875).
- 2018-2022 Operating Grant. CIHR. Title: Catching cancers early? How well do Ontario’s organized screening programs perform for First Nations and Métis persons? Co-PIs: Tinmouth JE, Sheppard AJ. Co-Is: Chiarelli AM, Jiang H, Kewayosh A, Kupets R, Mazereeuw M, Senese L, Sutradhar R, Tammemagi M. ($75,000)
- 2017-2019 Catalyst Grant. CIHR. Indigenous Approaches to Wellness Research. Title: Indigenous knowledge, western research, and cancer statistics: Braiding information together to understand a community’s cancer journey. Nominated PI: Kewayosh A. PI: Sheppard AJ. Co-Investigators: Plain S, Black Mohar P, Jamal S, Palmer AL. ($143,256)
Walker MJ, Meggetto O, Gao J, Espino-Hernández G, Jembere N, Bravo CA, Rey M, Aslam U, Sheppard AJ, Lofters AK, Tammemägi MC, Tinmouth J, Kupets R, Chiarelli AM, Rabeneck L. Measuring the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on organized cancer screening and diagnostic follow-up care in Ontario, Canada: A provincial, population-based study. Preventive Medicine. 2021 Oct;151:106586. doi: 10.1016/j.ypmed.2021.106586.
Shapiro GD, Sheppard AJ, Mashford-Pringle A, Bushnik T, Kramer MS, Kaufman JS, Yang S. Housing conditions and adverse birth outcomes among Indigenous people in Canada. Canadian Journal of Public Health. 2021. doi.org/10.17269/s41997-021-00527-2
Jamal S, Jones C, Walker J, Mazereeuw M, Sheppard AJ, Henry D, Marrett LD. Cancer in First Nations people in Ontario, Canada: Incidence and mortality, 1991 to 2010. Health Reports. 2021:32(2)14-28. doi.org/10.25318/82‑003‑x202100600002‑eng
Habash M, Sheppard AJ, Steiner R. An evaluation of Indigenous Tobacco Program Smoking prevention workshops with First Nations youth in Ontario, Canada. Canadian Public Health Association 2021;112(4):697-705. doi.org/10.17269/s41997-021-00493-9
Jull J, Sheppard AJ, Hizaka A, Inuit Medical Interpreter Team, Barton G, Doering P, Dorschner D, Edgecombe N, Ellis M, Graham ID, Habash M, Jodouin G, Kilabuk L, Koonoo T, Roberts C, Mamisarvik Healing Centre Team. Experiences of Inuit in Canada who travel from remote settings for cancer care and impacts on decision making. BMC Health Services Research. 2021;21:328. doi.org/10.1186/s12913-021-06303-9
Larsen K, Black P, Palmer AL, Sheppard AJ, Jamal S, Plain S, Peters C. Screening-level assessment of cancer risk associated with ambient air exposure in Aamjiwnaang First Nation. International Journal of Environmental Health Research. 2020; https://doi.org/10.1080/09603123.2020.1827226
Jamal S, Sheppard AJ, Cotterchio M, Gallinger S. Association between known risk factors and colorectal cancer risk among Indigenous people participating in the Ontario Familial Colon Cancer Registry. Current Oncology. Current Oncology. 2020;27(4):e395-e398.
Sheppard AJ, Chiarelli AM, Hanley AJG, Marrett LD. Influence of pre-existing diabetes on survival after a breast cancer diagnosis in First Nations women in Ontario, Canada. JCO Global Oncology no. 6 (2020) 99-107. doi: 10.1200/JGO.19.00061.
Sheppard AJ, Antone, C, Logan A, Kewayosh A. “In a good way”: Going beyond Patient Navigation to ensure culturally safe care in the cancer system for First Nations, Inuit, Métis, and urban Indigenous patients in Ontario. International Journal of Indigenous Health. 2019;14(2), 293 – 307. DOI 10.32799/ijih.v14i2.31995
Rand M, Sheppard AJ, Jamal S, Kewayosh A, Mashford-Pringle A. Evaluation of the Aboriginal Relationship and Cultural Competency courses among a sample of Indigenous Services Canada nurses. International Journal of Indigenous Health. 2019;14(1):29-41.
Jull J, Hizaka A, Sheppard AJ, Kewayosh A, Doering P, Macleod BA, Joudain G, Plourde J, Dorscher D, Akulukjuk L, Iqqaqsaq M, Shoo O, Manning N, Oolayou H, Rand M, Habash M, Graham ID. An integrated knowledge translation approach to facilitate collaborative research processes for a peer-support strategy that promotes shared decision making of Inuit in decisions about their cancer care. Current Oncology 2019;26(3):192-204.
Chan J, Polo A, Zubizarrea E, Bourque J, Sheppard AJ, Olson R, Dennis K, Brundage M, Slotman B, Abdel-Wahab M. Disparities in access to radiation therapy for regions inhabited by a higher proportion of First Nations, Inuit and Métis populations in Canada, and its association with cancer outcomes. Applied Radiation Oncology. June 2019:34-40.
Cawley C, Mazereeuw MV, Jamal S, Sheppard AJ, Marrett LD. Commercial tobacco exposure in First Nations, Inuit and Métis in Ontario: results from population-based health surveys and implications for cancer control. Cancer Health Disparities. 2018 ;1:e12. doi:10.9777/chd.2017.10006
Jull J, Mazereeuw MV, Sheppard AJ, Kewayosh A, Steiner R, Graham ID. Tailoring and field-testing the use of a knowledge translation peer support shared decision making strategy with First Nations, Inuit and Metis people making decisions about their cancer care: a study protocol. Research Involvement and Engagement. 2018:4:6 https://doi.org/10.1186/s40900-018-0085-3
Sheppard AJ, Shapiro GD, Bushnik T, Wilkins R, Perry S, Kaufman JS, Kramer MS, Yang S. Birth outcomes among First Nations, Inuit, Métis populations. Health Reports. 2017;28(11):11-16.
Shapiro GD, Bushnik T, Sheppard AJ, Kramer MS, Kaufman JS, Yang S. Paternal education and adverse birth outcomes in Canada. Journal of Epidemiology & Community Health. 2016; 0:1–6. doi:10.1136/jech-2015-206894.
Shapiro GD, Bushnik, T, Sheppard AJ, Kramer MS, Kaufman JS, Yang S. Missing paternal data and adverse birth outcomes in Canada. Health Reports. 2016;27(12):3-9.
McKinnon B, Yang S, Kramer MS, Bushnik T, Sheppard AJ, Kaufman JS. Comparison of black-white disparities in preterm birth between Canada and the United States. Canadian Medical Association Journal. 2016;188(1):E19-26.
ED Nishri, Sheppard AJ, Withrow D Marrett LD. Cancer survival among First Nations people of Ontario, Canada (1968-2007). International Journal of Cancer. 2015 136(3):639-45.
Chiarelli AM, Edwards SA, Sheppard AJ, Mirea L, Chong N, Paszat L, Shumak RS, O’Malley FP, and the Breast Screening Study Group. Favourable prognostic factors of subsequent screen detected breast cancers among women 50 to 69. European Journal of Cancer Prevention. 2012 Nov;21(6):499-506.
Sheppard AJ, Salmon C, Balasubramaniam P, Parsons J, Singh G, Jabbar A, Zaida Q, Scott A, Nisembaum R, Dunn J, Ramsay J, O’Campo P. Are residents of downtown Toronto influenced by their urban neighbourhoods: Using concept mapping to examine neighbourhood characteristics and their perceived impact on self-rated mental well-being. International Journal of Health Geographics.2012: Aug 3; 11-31.
Sheppard AJ, Hetherington R. A decade of research in Inuit children, youth, and maternal health in Canada: Areas of concentrations and scarcities? International Journal of Circumpolar Health. 2012:71;1-13.
Sheppard AJ, Chiarelli AM, Marrett LD, Nishri ED, and Trudeau ME. Stage at diagnosis and comorbidity influence breast cancer survival in First Nations women in Ontario, Canada. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention. 2011;20(10):2160-7.
Sheppard AJ, Chiarelli AM, Marrett LD, Mirea L, Nishri ED, Trudeau ME, and the Aboriginal Breast Cancer Study Group. Detection of later stage breast cancer in First Nations women in Ontario, Canada. Canadian Journal of Public Health. 2010;101(1):101-5.
Sheppard AJ, Chiarelli AM, Stewart L, Marrett LD, Trudeau M, Lidstone-Jones C, Chua-Alamag R, Hey A, Nishri D, Madarnas Y, Warner D. Aboriginal Breast Cancer Care Workshop Report: Strategies to improve First Nations cancer care in Ontario. International Journal of Circumpolar Health. 2010(7 Suppl):168-73.
Sheppard AJ. Circumpolar Dissertation: Influence of stage at diagnosis on detection and survival of breast cancer in First Nations women in Ontario, Canada. International Journal of Circumpolar Health. 2010;69(2):208-9.