Meghan Walker PhD
- Email Address(es)
- meghan.walker(at)ontariohealth.ca, meghan.walker(at)utoronto.ca
- Office Phone
- Office Address
- Ontario Health 505 University Avenue Toronto, ON M5G 2L7
- Epidemiology Division
- Assistant Professor
- SGS Status
- Associate Member
- Appointment Status
- Status Only
• Cancer screening behaviours and outcomes
• Early detection and diagnosis of cancer
• High risk populations
• Risk-tailored cancer prevention
• Health behaviours
Education & Training History
Doctor of Philosophy (Epidemiology), University of Toronto
Master of Science (Epidemiology), York University
Honours Bachelor of Science, University of Toronto
- Manager – Evidence & Evaluation, Cancer Screening, Ontario Health
Primary Teaching Responsibilities
- Co-Director, CHL 5409: Cancer Epidemiology
Current Research Projects
- 2018-2022: Personalized risk assessment for prevention and early detection of breast cancer: Integration and implementation (PERSPECTIVE I&I). Genome Canada/CIHR/Genome Quebec/Ontario Research Fund (Co-Investigator)
- Walker MJ, Meggetto O, Gao J, Espino-Hernandez G, Jembere N, Bravo CA, Rey M, Aslam U, Sheppard AJ, Lofters AK, Tammemagi MC, Tinmouth J, Kupets R, Chiarelli AM, Rabeneck L. Measuring the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on organized cancer screening and diagnostic follow-up care in Ontario, Canada: A provincial, population-based study. Prev Med 2021; 151:106586.
- Chiarelli AM, Walker MJ, Espino-Hernandez G, Gray N, Salleh A, Adhihetty C, Gao J, Fienberg S, Rey MA, Rabeneck L. Adherence to guidance for prioritizing higher risk groups for breast cancer screening during the COVID-19 pandemic in the Ontario Breast Screening Program: a descriptive study. CMAJ Open 2021; 9(4):E1205-12.
- Meggetto O, Jembere N, Gao J, Walker MJ, Rey M, Rabeneck L, Murphy KJ, Kupets R, the Ontario Cervical Screening Program/Colposcopy COVID-19 Working Group. BJOG 2021; 128(9):1503-10.
- Walker MJ, Hartman K, Majpruz V, Leung YW, Fienberg S, Rabeneck L, Chiarelli AM. The impact of radiologist screening mammogram reading volume on performance in the Ontario Breast Screening Program. Can Assoc Radiol J 2021. doi:10.1177/08465371211031186.
- Dubé C, Yakubu M, McCurdy BR, Lischka A, Koné A, Walker MJ, Peirson L, Tinmouth J. Risk of advanced adenoma, colorectal cancer and colorectal cancer mortality in people with low-risk adenomas at baseline colonoscopy: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Gastroenterol 2017; doi:10.1038.ajg.
- Walker MJ, Mirea L, Cooper K, Nabavi M, Glendon G, Andrulis IL, Knight JA, O’Malley FP, Chiarelli AM. Impact of familial risk and mammography screening on prognostic indicators of breast disease among women from the Ontario site of the Breast Cancer Family Registry. Fam Cancer 2014; 13(2):163-72.
- Walker MJ, Mirea L, Glendon G, Ritvo P, Andrulis IL, Knight JA, Chiarelli AM. Does perceived risk predict breast cancer screening use? Findings from a prospective cohort study of female relatives from the Ontario site of the Breast Cancer Family Registry. Breast 2014; 23(4):482-8.
- Walker MJ, Chiarelli AM, Knight JA, Mirea L, Glendon G, Ritvo P. Perceived risk and adherence to breast cancer screening guidelines among women with a familial history of breast cancer: a review of the literature. Breast 2013; 22(4), 395-404.
Honours & Awards
- 2018 ReCCOgnition Award, Unified in Purpose – Cancer Care Ontario
- 2013 Trainee Travel Award – Canadian Society for Epidemiology and Biostatistics
- 2012 A.H. Sellers Travel Award – Cancer Care Ontario
- 2012 Junior Investigator Award – National Cancer Institute/International Cancer Screening Network
- 2011 A.H. Sellers Travel Award – Cancer Care Ontario
- 2011-2013 Doctoral Fellowship – Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation
- 2005 Millennium Excellence Award – Government of Canada