Peter Wong MBBS, MPH, PhD, FRCPC, FAAP, FACPM
- Email Address(es)
- Office Phone
- P: 416.743.8063 F: 416.743.0101
- Office Address
- 722-115 Humber College Blvd., Toronto, ON, Canada M9V OA8
- Academic Clinician | Paediatric Community Medicine, Project Investigator | SickKids Research Institute
- Clinical Public Health Division
- Assistant Professor
- SGS Status
- Associate Member
- Appointment Status
- Status Only
Early life exposures
Childhood lipid screening and surveillance
Infant and child nutrition
Peter D. Wong MBBS, MPH, PhD, FRCPC, FAAP FACPM graduated from the University of the West Indies before obtaining postgraduate training in Paediatric Medicine, Critical Care and Cardiology at SickKids. His experience in public health extends from an MPH/PhD (epidemiology) to leadership and governance. He is Academic Clinician – Community Paediatric Medicine, Division of Paediatric Medicine and Project Investigator, Child Health Evaluative Sciences, Research Institute at SickKids. He is Associate Professor, Department of Paediatrics and cross appointed at the Dalla Lana School of Public Health, University of Toronto. His researcher interests are in early life exposures, child health and health policy funded by PSI Foundation and the SickKids Family Heart Centre and SickKids Foundation. Dr. Wong’s advocacy focuses on neighbourhood structures that promote health equity. He served on the Board of Health City of Toronto; Board director Association of Local Public Health Agencies; and Advisory Committees of the Ontario Human Milk Bank and SickKids Centre for Healthy Active Kids. He has been recognized for his service by the American College of Preventive Medicine, Canadian Paediatric Society and Ontario Medical Association.
Honours & Awards
2018 Fellow, American College of Preventive Medicine
2017 Certificate of Merit, Canadian Paediatric Society, Canada
2017 Community Paediatrics Section Service Award, OMA, Canada
2015 Glenn Sawyer Community Service Award, Ontario Medical Association, Canada
- Anderson LN, van den Heuvel M, Omand JA, Wong PD. Practical tips for pediatricians: baby-led weaning. Paediatr Child Health 2019, 1-2. doi: 10.1093/pch/pxz069.
- Wong PD, Al-Hashmi I, Agnihotri R, Moodie RG. Iron deficiency in young children: surveillance versus screening. Paediatrics & Child Health, 2019, 1–1. doi: 10.1093/pch/pxz062.
- Wong JP, Venu I, Moodie RG, Arivudainambi VC, Stewart H, Schroth RJ, Nicolae A, Zweig KN, van den Heuvel M, Ford-Jones EL, Wong PD. Keeping caries at bay in breastfeeding babies. J Fam Pract. 2019 Apr; 68(3):E1-E4.
- Wong PD, Parkin PC, Moodie RG, Dai DWH, Maguire JL, Birken CS, Borkhoff CM. Total Breastfeeding Duration and Household Food Insecurity in Healthy Urban Children. Acad Pediatr. 2019 Mar 01.
- Wong PD, Thadani SH, Brown LL, Moodie RG. Consider the full spectrum of household food insecurity. CMAJ. 2019 Jan 07; 191(1):E20.
- Borkhoff CM, Dai DWH, Jairam JA, Wong PD, Cox KA, Maguire JL, Birken CS, Macarthur C, Parkin PC. Breastfeeding to 12 mo and beyond: nutrition outcomes at 3 to 5 y of age. Am J Clin Nutr. 2018 08 01; 108(2):354-362.
- Wong PD, Bowry A, Moodie RG. Energy and sports drinks in children and adolescents. Paediatr Child Health. 2018; 23(4):30-31.
- Jacob G, van den Heuvel M, Jama N, Moore AM, Ford-Jones L, Wong PD. Adverse childhood experiences: Basics for the paediatrician. Paediatr Child Health. 2019 Feb; 24(1):30-37.
- Wong PD, Anderson LN, Dai DDW, Parkin PC, Maguire JL, Birken CS. The Association of Breastfeeding Duration and Early Childhood Cardiometabolic Risk. J Pediatr. 2018 01; 192:80-85.e1.
- Nicolae A, Levin L, Wong PD, Dave MG, Taras J, Mistry C, Ford-Jones EL, Wong M, Schroth RJ. Identification of early childhood caries in primary care settings. Paediatr Child Health. 2018 Apr; 23(2):111-115.
- Jacob G, Ford-Jones L, Wong PD, Warman D, Lovett MW. Literacy promotion by health care professionals: A comprehensive biomedical and psychosocial approach. Paediatr Child Health. 2018 Feb; 23(1):6-11.
- Wong PD, Denburg A, Dave M, Levin L, Morinis JO, Suleman S, Wong J, Ford-Jones E, Moore AM. Early life environment and social determinants of cardiac health in children with congenital heart disease. Paediatr Child Health. 2018 Apr; 23(2):92-95.
- Venu I, van den Heuvel M, Wong JP, Borkhoff CM, Moodie RG, Ford-Jones EL, Wong PD. The breastfeeding paradox: Relevance for household food insecurity. Paediatr Child Health. 2017 Jul; 22(4):180-183.
- Wong PD, Birken CS, Parkin PC, Venu I, Chen Y, Schroth RJ, Maguire JL. Total Breast-Feeding Duration and Dental Caries in Healthy Urban Children. Acad Pediatr. 2017 04; 17(3):310-315.
- Wong PD, Wong JP, van den Heuvel M, Feller AE, Silver-Cohen J, Talarico S, Humphreys J, Ford-Jones L. The paediatrician and middle childhood parenting. Paediatr Child Health. 2017 Mar; 22(1):26-29.
- Wong P, Denburg A, Moore A, Ford-Jones E. Social determinants of health: integral to developmental risk assessment in congenital heart disease. J Pediatr. 2017 04; 183:201.
- Wong PD, Dave MG, Tulloch T, Feldman ML, Ford-Jones EL, Parkin PC, Tetley A, Moodie RG. Community health centres: Potential opportunities for community paediatrics. From interprofessional clinical care to board governance. Paediatr Child Health. 2015 Jan-Feb; 20(1):12-4.