Skip to content

SGS Financial Aid & Advising How to apply for OSAP
How to apply for UTAPS

What is PhD Student funding?

a) What is the funding policy for PhD students?

The PHS Funding Policy for PhD students can be found on the website here:

b) What is considered student support?

  • Awards from external agencies such as SSHRC, NSERC, CIHR
  • Internal awards such as OGS, OGSST, Connaught, some OSOTFs
  • Government, International Agency and other awards for the express purpose of education
  • Stipends from supervisors and training grants to support your program (T4A income)
  • Teaching and Research Assistantships (T4 income)
  • Employer financial/tuition support

c) What is not student support?

  • Casual jobs outside of the university

d) Are there any terms or conditions for holding awards?

Students must be registered as a full-time degree candidate for a minimum of fourteen weeks in any term during which they hold an award. Repayment of an award is required if a student is in full-time attendance fewer than 14 weeks in any term, transfers to another graduate unit, has flex-time status or withdraws from the program.

All PhD students (and their supervisors) are required to complete an annual academic Progress Review and confirm “satisfactory academic progress.”

PhD students in the funded cohort are required to complete an annual Funding Declaration. Any changes to this funding agreement must be reported to the Graduate Office in writing.

What kinds of financial support are available to Master’s students?

Some of the external granting agencies will provide 1 or 2 years of funding for Master’s students and most full-time Master’s students are eligible to apply for OGS.

The Dalla Lana Scholarship is offered to select Master’s students upon admission.

Master’s students are often paid by their employer/supervisor in their practicum placements.

Master’s students can apply for needs-based funding, and OSAP, and may be eligible for a student line of credit through Scotiabank.

What bursaries are available?

Professional Master’s Student Bursary – Application instructions are emailed to students.
Professional Master’s Financial Aid – Students are automatically assess for PMFA; applications are not required.
Master’s Completion Bursary – Offered in each academic session. See SGS website for details.

Are part-time or flex-time students eligible for awards or bursaries?

Generally, no. Part-time students may be eligible for the Professional Master’s Bursary and some OSOTFs. Some external granting agencies offer awards to doctoral flex-time students.

How do I find out about awards?

We send out all award notices by Email to our student listservs, and post them on the DLSPH website.

Can I have more than one award at a time?

It depends on the awarding body. Some award agencies permit students to hold other awards worth, perhaps up to a maximum amount. The School encourages students to accept external awards first. UTF top-up funds are  calculated after all other sources of funding are secured.

You must provide the Graduate Office with a copy of the award letter showing the amount, source and duration of awards which you receive.

Does the award go to me or is it used to pay my fees?

Awards administered outside the university are paid directly to students, who are then expected to pay the appropriate University tuition fees prior to the fee payment deadlines.

For funds administered within U of T, payments are directed to student fees accounts or are paid directly to students according to the Award Payment Schedule.

Who selects awards recipients?

An Awards Committee, consisting of DLSPH faculty, reviews all award applications.

I’ve already applied for three awards this year: do I need to do more?

Yes. Apply, apply, and apply. Believe it or not, there are some awards which remain unused.

What if I have support from my supervisor?

A number of students will receive a student stipend from their supervisor. The amount and duration of this will vary for each individual. In some cases the supervisor will be able to provide the minimum funding threshold, in other cases the stipend may be supplemented with funds from other sources including competitive awards and departmental funding (UTF).

Supervisors are expected to incorporate student stipends into their grant proposals, as appropriate.