(Last updated July 14, 2020)
- Targeted research on COVID-19 Rapid Response Call has posted a list of funded projects – https://cihr-irsc.gc.ca/e/51908.html.
2. The CRC Program will temporarily revert to a two-cycle model (June and November).
- The results of the 2019-20 cycle IAC results are expected June 2020
- Convergence (the new application platform) is still planned for June 2020.
- The annual reports deadline has been changed to September 2020
- Submission of financial reporting forms 300 and 301 (2019-2020 Annual Reconciliation) is now due September 30. This applies to CIHR, SSHRC and NSERC awards.
4. The Canada First Research Excellent Fund’s midterm reports are postponed to Fall 2020 with panel site visits pushed to Winter 2021. The annual reports will be due September 30, 2020 and all summits have been cancelled for the year.
5. New Frontiers in Research Fund
- The Exploration stream – All NFRF Exploration grants are eligible for a one-year automatic extension. Award holders may request an additional extension up to 12 months, if needed. 2020 Competition: NOI due by noon August 11th (internal deadline) both the MRA and documents uploaded to the Convergence portal. Full application (Oct 13th by noon).
July 7th – 2020 Exploration NOI – 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Eastern Time
Meeting link – Event password: SWrPUuX93C8
- The Transformation Stream deadline for letter of intent has been extended to July 15, with an application deadline that has yet to be determined.
- The International Stream has also seen changes in their deadlines. Please refer to the NFRF 2020 Horizon Global Platform website for updates.
- No Cost Grant Extensions, can be approved by institutions, for up to 12 months, for grants ending between Feb 1 2020 – March 31, 2021. COVID-19 and other exceptional expenses may also be eligible. Note: Insight Development grants with automatic extension years ending on May 31, 2021 are also eligible for this 12-month extension. Please request the extension by emailing the appropriate UofT contact.
2. SSHRC Partnership Engage Grants Special call was launched April 24, next deadline September 15.
3. A provision to federal granting councils will be available to help support students and postdoctoral researchers by extending federal graduate research scholarships, postdoctoral fellowships and providing supplements to existing federal grants. Other possible requests may include; deferral of start date (up to 4 months), unpaid interruption (up to 4 months), and to hold awards part-time with no extension (to be paid at full amount until end date).
- The recently reinstated CIHR Spring 2020 Projects Grant is expected to be completed before the Fall 2020 competition begins. For researchers who wish to have their grants reviewed there will be no option to update grants. PIs offered extensions for expiring grants will need to choose either to keep the extension with no ability to re-apply until Spring 2021, or decline the extension and have their grant reviewed. If you have a second grant, eligibility for the fall competition will be decided on a per case basis.
2. Impact on other programs
- Strategic programs will be suspended (with some exceptions) with a placeholder date of December 31, 2021. Deadlines will be updated at least two months in advance to allow time to prepare applications.
- Fall Project Grants registration is September 15, with a full application deadline tentatively set for Oct 15and panel reviews in January 2021
- Spring 2021 competition is also expected to be delayed. A return to regular scheduling may occur in time for Fall 2021 or Spring 2022.
- Additional funds for CIHR for researchers/current grantees who have been impacted by COVID-19. Scholarships with funds ending March – August 2020, will be eligible for extension. Reimbursements to cover the cost of staff during COVID-19 closures will also be considered. Federal support for researchers may also be available to eligible institutions, although details are pending.
- All active Discovery Grant holders can elect to receive a one year extension with funds at their current funding level. NSERC will advise on how to request the extension.
- Upcoming deadlines: Discovery grants – NOI August 1st, Application (Nov)