Skip to content

SGS Financial Aid & Advising How to apply for OSAP

What is PhD Student funding?

a) What is full funding?

PhD students who started in the program prior to September 2017:

Click here for pre 2017 Funding Policy

PhD students who start in September 2017 or later:

Click here for 2017-18 Funding Policy

b) What is considered student support?

  • Awards from external agencies such as SSHRC, NSERC, CIHR
  • Internal awards such as OGS, OGSST, Connaught, some OSOTFs
  • Government, International Agency and other awards for the express purpose of education
  • Stipends from supervisors and training grants to support your program (T4A Income)
  • Teaching and Research Assistantships
  • Employer financial/tuition support

c) What is not student support?

Casual jobs outside of the university

d) Are there any terms or conditions for holding awards?

Students must be registered as a full-time degree candidate for a minimum of fourteen weeks in any term during which they hold an award. Repayment of an award is required if a student is in full-time attendance fewer than 14 weeks in any term, transfers to another graduate unit, changes to part-time status or withdraws from the program.

All PhD students (and their supervisors) are required to complete an annual academic Progress Review and confirm “satisfactory academic progress.”

PhD students in the funded cohort are required to complete an annual Funding Declaration. Any changes to this funding agreement must be reported to the Graduate Office in writing.

What kinds of financial support are available to Master’s students?

The Dalla Lana Scholarship is offered to select Master’s students upon admission.
Some of the external granting agencies will provide 1 or 2 years of funding for Master’s students and most full-time Master’s students are eligible to apply for OGS.

Some supervisors may support/or provide employment for master’s students and MPH students are often paid by their employer/supervisor for practicum work.

Master’s students can apply for needs-based funding, and OSAP, and may be eligible for a student line of credit through Scotiabank.

What bursaries are available?

Professional Master’s Student Bursary – Application instructions are emailed to students.
Master’s Completion Bursary – Offered in each academic session. See SGS website for details.

Are part-time or flex-time students eligible for awards or bursaries?

Generally, no. Part-time students may be eligible for the Professional Master’s Bursary and some OSOTFs. Some external granting agencies offer awards to flex-time students.

How do I find out about awards?

We send out all award notices by Email, and post them on the DLSPH website.

Can I have more than one award at a time?

Generally, no. Some award agencies permit students to hold other awards worth < $15,000. This is OK if both are external to U of T. The School encourages students to accept external awards first. You cannot hold a full UTO with any other external or internal award.

You must provide the Graduate Office with a copy of the award letter showing the amount, source and duration of awards which you receive.

Does the award go to me or is it used to pay my fees?

External awards are often paid directly to students, who are then expected to pay the appropriate University tuition fees.

September payments of UTO funds and any other U of T-administered awards are paid directly to students. If you owe university tuition fees, January and May payments will be applied to your outstanding balance.

Who selects awards recipients?

An Awards Committee, consisting of DLSPH faculty, reviews all award applications.

I’ve already applied for three awards this year: do I need to do more?

Yes. Apply, apply, and apply. Believe it or not, there are some awards which remain unused.

What if I have support from my supervisor?

A number of students will receive a student stipend from their supervisor. The amount and duration of this will vary for each individual. In some cases the supervisor will be able to provide the total annual stipend, in other cases the stipend may be supplemented with funds from other sources including external awards and departmental base funding.

Supervisors are expected to incorporate student stipends into their grant proposals, as appropriate.