Concepts in Safety Management
- Course Number
- 5900 (Occupational & Environmental Health)
- Course Instructor(s)
- Anna Bortolus
- This course provides an overview of the principles of safety management including a discussion of common occupational hazards, human factors affecting safety in the workplace, assessment of risk and the design of systems to manage them.
- The course provides opportunities for participants to learn from safety practioners from a broad range of industries and observe and evaluate hazards and risk in actual workplace settings.
At the end of this course the participants should:
- Understand the principles and theories of accident causation;
- Understand common workplace hazards and be able to assess risk;
- Be conversant with key regulated requirements for workplace safety in Ontario;
- Be able to apply various approaches to safety management;
- Appreciate the importance of assurance and understand approaches to auditing; and
- Through interactive sessions and site visits be able to apply this knowledge in the workplace setting.