Cameron D. Norman Ph.D. (Public Health), P-Doc (Systems Thinking), MDes (Strategic Foresight & Innovation)
- Email Address(es)
- cameron.norman(at)utoronto.ca, cdnorman(at)cense.ca
- Office Address
- Dalla Lana School of Public Health, University of Toronto 155 College Street Toronto, ON M5T 3M7
- Cense Ltd. , Censemaking Blog
- Curriculum Vitae
- Social & Behavioural Health Sciences Division
- Adjunct Professor
- SGS Status
- Associate Member
- Admin Faculty Appointment
- Social & Behavioural Health Science
- Innovation in health systems
- Systems thinking & complexity science
- Design thinking and developmental evaluation
- Program design and evaluation
- Knowledge translation & exchange
- Health behaviour change
- eHealth / Public eHealth and eLearning
- Health Communications & health literacy
- Strategic foresight & Innovation in human systems
NOTE: ** Currently not accepting trainees for supervision, new membership on graduate committees or recruiting for research-related employment **
Education & Training History
2013: Master of Design (MDes): Strategic Foresight & Innovation – OCAD University, Toronto, ON Canada
2006: Post-Doctoral Fellow: Systems Thinking & Knowledge Translation – Centre for Clinical Epidemiology & Evaluation, Vancouver Coastal Health Research Institute and Department of Health Care & Epidemiology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC & Centre for Global eHealth Innovation, University Health Network, Toronto, ON
2005: Doctor of Philosophy (PhD): Public Health Sciences – University of Toronto, Toronto, ON
2001: Post-Graduate Teaching Certificate: Health Sciences – Institute of Medical Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON
1998: Master of Arts (MA): Community Psychology – Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo, ON
1996: Bachelor of Arts (BA (Hons)): Psychology – University of Regina, Regina, SK
Additional Training & Education
2012: Credentialed Evaluator Designation (CE) — Canadian Evaluation Society
2012: Post-graduate Certificate in Developmental Evaluation – Social Innovation Generation, University of Waterloo School of Environment, Enterprise and Development
2010: NCI Charrette System Certification – Graduate School of Design, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
2009 & 2011: Accredited Practitioner ( Knowledge management & organizational development) – Cognitive Edge Systems
2016 – present: Sessional Instructor/Faculty, Faculty of Design, OCAD University
2012 – 2017: President – Public Health Alumni Association of the University of Toronto (PHAA)
Primary Teaching Responsibilities
No primary courses.
Professional Summary & Appointments
Principal & President, Cense Ltd.
Honours & Awards
2017: University of Toronto Arbor Award for Alumni Excellence
2013: Canadian Community Psychology Award, Canadian Psychological Association (Recognizing distinguished service and leadership)
2012: Robin Badgley Teaching Excellence Award – Early Stage (Awarded to the most outstanding teacher and educational scholar in public health at the University of Toronto)
2008: Best Paper of the Year, International Medical Informatics Association (for Norman, C.D.& Skinner, H.A. (2006). eHEALS: The eHealth Literacy Scale. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 8, 4, e27.)
2006: Volunteer Service Award, Ontario Physical Health and Education Association
2006: Best Conference Paper with Practical Application Award, 5th International Conference on Organizational Behaviour in Health Care. Aberdeen, Scotland (for: Best, A., Trochim, W., Moor, G., Haggerty, J., Norman, C.D., Cabrera, D. & Logan, H. (2006, April). Systems thinking for knowledge integration: New models for policy research collaboration)
Current Research Projects
04/19 – 06/22: Future-proofing young people with disabilities. Funded by: Social Science & Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC): $247,361. Investigators: Jetha, A., Gignac, M., Bultmann, U., Smith, P., Tompa, E., Bonaccio, S., Banks, C., Tucker, L., & Norman, C.D.
Note: ** Currently not accepting trainees for supervision, new membership on graduate committees or recruiting for research-related employment **
Representative Publications (last 5 years)
- Knight, A. T., Cook, C. N., Redford, K. H., Biggs, D., Romero, C., Ortega-Argueta, A., Norman, C.D., Parson, B., Reynolds, M., Eoyang, G., Keene, M. (2019). Improving conservation practice with principles and tools from systems thinking and evaluation. Sustainability Science,
- Silva, D. S., Smith, M. J., & Norman, C. D. (2018). Systems thinking and ethics in public health: a necessary and mutually beneficial partnership. Monash Bioethics Review, 36(0123456789), 54–67.
- Baskerville, N. B., Struik, L. L., Guindon, G. E., Norman, C. D., Whittaker, R., Burns, C., … Brown, K. S. (2018). Effect of a Mobile Phone Intervention on Quitting Smoking in a Young Adult Population of Smokers: Randomized Controlled Trial. JMIR MHealth and UHealth, 6(10), e10893.
- Ungar, T., Knack, S. & Norman, C.D. (2017). Re: Suicide on TV: minimising the risk to vulnerable viewers. Editorial Letter. BMJ, 358.
- Ungar, T., Norman, C. D., & Knaak, S. (2017). Think You Can Shrink? A Proof-of-Concept Study for Men’s Health Education Through Edutainment. Journal of Technology in Behavioral Science, 1–6.
- Norman, C.D., Haresign, H., Mehling, C., & Bloomberg, H. (2016). Exploring the Feasibility and Potential of Virtual Panels for Soliciting Feedback on Nutrition Education Materials. JMIR Public Health and Surveillance, 2 (1), e18.
- Calvasina, P., Lawrence, H.P., Hoffman-Goetz, L., & Norman, C.D. (2016). Brazilian immigrants’ oral health literacy and participation in oral health care in Canada. BMC Oral Health, 1–7. *
- van der Tempel, J., Noormohamed, A., Schwartz, R., Norman, C. D., Malas, M., & Zawertailo, L. (2016). Vape, quit, tweet? Electronic cigarettes and smoking cessation on Twitter. International Journal of Public Health, 1–8.
- Baskerville, N.B., Struik, L.L., Hammond, D., Norman, C.D., Guindon, E., Whittaker, R., Burns, C.M., Grindrod, K.A., Brown, K.S. (2015). Effect of a mobile phone intervention on quitting smoking in a young adult population of smokers: Randomized controlled trial study protocol. JMIR Research Protocols, 4 (1), e10.
- Norman, C.D. (2013). Teaching systems thinking and complexity theory in health sciences. Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice, 19,(6) 1087.
- Norman, C.D. & Yip, A.L. (2013). Designing for health promotion, social innovation and complexity: The CoNEKTR Model for Wicked Problems, pp.581-594. In JP Sturmburg & C Martin (Eds). Handbook of Systems and Complexity in Health. New York, NY: Springer.
- Norman, C.D. (2012). Social media and health promotion. Global Health Promotion, 19 (4), 3-6.
- Norman, C.D. & Yip, A.L. (2012). eHealth promotion and social innovation with youth: Using social and visual media to engage diverse communities. Studies in Health Technology Informatics, 172, 54-70.
- Riley, B., Norman, C.D. & Best, A. (2012). Knowledge Integration in Public Health: A Rapid Review using Systems Thinking. Evidence & Policy, 8, (4), 417-431.