Cameron D. Norman Ph.D. (Public Health), P-Doc (Systems Thinking), MDes (Strategic Foresight & Innovation)
- Email Address(es)
- email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Office Address
- Dalla Lana School of Public Health, University of Toronto 155 College Street Toronto, ON M5T 3M7
- CENSE Research + Design, Censemaking Blog
- Curriculum Vitae
- Social & Behavioural Health Sciences Division
- Adjunct Professor
- SGS Status
- Associate Member
- Systems thinking & complexity science
- Design thinking and developmental evaluation
- Program design and evaluation
- Knowledge translation & exchange
- Health behaviour change
- eHealth / Public eHealth and eLearning
- Health literacy
- Strategic foresight & Innovation in human systems
NOTE: ** Currently not accepting trainees for supervision, new membership on graduate committees or recruiting for research-related employment **
Education & Training History
2013: Master of Design (MDes): Strategic Foresight & Innovation – OCAD University, Toronto, ON Canada
2006: Post-Doctoral Fellow: Systems Thinking & Knowledge Translation – Centre for Clinical Epidemiology & Evaluation, Vancouver Coastal Health Research Institute and Department of Health Care & Epidemiology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC & Centre for Global eHealth Innovation, University Health Network, Toronto, ON
2005: Doctor of Philosophy (PhD): Public Health Sciences – University of Toronto, Toronto, ON
2001: Post-Graduate Teaching Certificate: Health Sciences – Institute of Medical Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON
1998: Master of Arts (MA): Community Psychology – Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo, ON
1996: Bachelor of Arts (BA (Hons)): Psychology – University of Regina, Regina, SK
Additional Training & Education
2012: Credentialed Evaluator Designation (CE) — Canadian Evaluation Society
2012: Post-graduate Certificate in Developmental Evaluation – Social Innovation Generation, University of Waterloo School of Environment, Enterprise and Development
2010: NCI Charrette System Certification – Graduate School of Design, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
2009 & 2011: Accredited Practitioner ( Knowledge management & organizational development) – Cognitive Edge Systems
2012 – present: President – Public Health Alumni Association of the University of Toronto (PHAA)
Primary Teaching Responsibilities
No primary courses.
Professional Summary & Appointments
04/14 – 03/15: Scientific Advisory Committee Member, Healthy Kids Community Challenge Scientific Advisory Council, Public Health Ontario
09/10 – present: Resource Centre Advisory Committee Member, Public Health Ontario
01/10 – present: Editorial Board Member, Journal of Complexity and Health / Journal of Evaluation and Clinical Practice Complexity & Health Forum
08/08 – present: Global Health Affiliated Scholar, Peter A. Silverman Centre for International Health
03/01 – present: Investigator, Ontario Tobacco Research Unit, Toronto, ON
Honours & Awards
2013: Canadian Community Psychology Award, Canadian Psychological Association (Recognizing distinguished service and leadership)
2012: Robin Badgley Teaching Excellence Award – Early Stage (Awarded to the most outstanding teacher and educational scholar in public health at the University of Toronto)
2008: Best Paper of the Year, International Medical Informatics Association (for Norman, C.D.& Skinner, H.A. (2006). eHEALS: The eHealth Literacy Scale. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 8, 4, e27.)
2006: Volunteer Service Award, Ontario Physical Health and Education Association
2006: Best Conference Paper with Practical Application Award, 5th International Conference on Organizational Behaviour in Health Care. Aberdeen, Scotland (for: Best, A., Trochim, W., Moor, G., Haggerty, J., Norman, C.D., Cabrera, D. & Logan, H. (2006, April). Systems thinking for knowledge integration: New models for policy research collaboration)
Current Research Projects
06/13 – present; Effect of a Smartphone Intervention on Quitting Smoking in a Young Adult Population of Smokers: A Randomized Controlled Trial
Funded by: Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) ($326,000)
Investigators: Baskerville, N.B. & Hammond, D.G. (Co-PI’s) Brown, K., Burns, C., Guindon, G., Norman, C.D., Whittaker, R.
04/11 – present: Design thinking for complex problem solving.
Funded by: Social Science & Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC): ($35,810)
Investigator: Norman, C.D.
Note: ** Currently not accepting trainees for supervision, new membership on graduate committees or recruiting for research-related employment **
- Norman, C.D., Haresign, H., Mehling, C., & Bloomberg, H. (2016). Exploring the Feasibility and Potential of Virtual Panels for Soliciting Feedback on Nutrition Education Materials. JMIR Public Health and Surveillance, 2 (1), e18.
- Calvasina, P., Lawrence, H.P., Hoffman-Goetz, L., & Norman, C.D. (2016). Brazilian immigrants’ oral health literacy and participation in oral health care in Canada. BMC Oral Health, 1–7. *
- van der Tempel, J., Noormohamed, A., Schwartz, R., Norman, C. D., Malas, M., & Zawertailo, L. (2016). Vape, quit, tweet? Electronic cigarettes and smoking cessation on Twitter. International Journal of Public Health, 1–8.
- Baskerville, N.B., Struik, L.L., Hammond, D., Norman, C.D., Guindon, E., Whittaker, R., Burns, C.M., Grindrod, K.A., Brown, K.S. (2015). Effect of a mobile phone intervention on quitting smoking in a young adult population of smokers: Randomized controlled trial study protocol. JMIR Research Protocols, 4 (1), e10.
5. Norman, C.D. (2013). Teaching systems thinking and complexity theory in health sciences. Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice, 19,(6) 1087-9.
6. Norman, C.D. & Yip, A.L. (2013). Designing for health promotion, social innovation and complexity: The CoNEKTR Model for Wicked Problems, pp.581-594. In JP Sturmburg & C Martin (Eds). Handbook of Systems and Complexity in Health. New York, NY: Springer.
7. Norman, C.D. (2012). Social media and health promotion. Global Health Promotion, 19 (4), 3-6. .
8. Norman, C.D. & Yip, A.L. (2012). eHealth promotion and social innovation with youth: Using social and visual media to engage diverse communities. Studies in Health Technology Informatics, 172, 54-70.
9. Ahmad, F., Norman, C.D., & O’Campo, P. (2012). What is needed to implement a computer-assisted health risk assessment tool? An exploratory concept mapping study. BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making, 12, e149.
10. Ahmad F, Shakya Y, Li J, Karyan K, Norman C.D., Lou W, Abuelaish I, Ahmadzi M (2012) Primary Care as a Setting to Integrate Medical and Social Refugee Care: A Pilot with of Computer-assisted Psychosocial Risk–assessment. BMC Public Health, 12, e71.
11. Riley, B., Norman, C.D. & Best, A. (2012). Knowledge Integration in Public Health: A Rapid Review using Systems Thinking. Evidence & Policy, 8, (4), 417-431.
12. Cheng, H.-M., Norman, C. D., & Koo, M. (2012). Psychometric evaluation of Chinese version of the eHealth Literacy Scale (eHEALS) in school age children. International Electronic Journal of Health Education, 15, 29-36.
13. Baumwol, K., Mortimer, S., Huerta, T.R., Norman, C.D., & Buchan, A.M.J. (2011). Promoting interdisciplinarity in the life sciences: a case study. Research Evaluation, 20 (4), 283-292.
14. Norman, C.D. (2011). Consumer directed telehealth. Otolaryngological Clinics of North America, 44, (6), 1289-1296.
15. Norman, C.D., (2011). EHealth literacy 2.0 Problems and opportunities with an evolving concept. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 13 (4), e125.
16. Norman, C.D. (2011). Bridging online and offline social networks to promote health innovation: The CoNEKTR Model. In Biswas, R., & Martin, C. (Eds.) . Utilizing Collaborative Social Networks and Technologies. IGI Books.
17. Krupinski, E.A., Patterson, T., Norman, C.D., Roth, Y., Elnasser, Z., Abdeen, Z., Noyek, A., Sriharan, A., Ignatieff, A., Black, S., Freedman, M., (2011). Successful models for telehealth. Otolaryngological Clinics of North America, 44, (6), 1275-1288.
18. Hamdani, Y., Jetha, A., & Norman, C.D. (2011). Systems thinking perspectives applied to healthcare transition for youth with disabilities: a paradigm shift for practice, policy and research. Child Care Health Development, 37, (6), 806-814. *
19. De Pinho Campos, K., Norman, C.D., Jadad, A.R. (2011). Product development private-public partnerships for public health: A systematic review using qualitative data. Social Science & Medicine, 73, (7), 986-994. *
20. Norman, C.D., Huerta, T.R., Mortimer, S., & Buchan, A. (2011). Evaluating the science of discovery in complex health systems. American Journal of Evaluation, 32, (1), 70-84.
21. Norman, C.D., Charnaw-Burger, J., Yip, A., Saad, S., & Lombardo, C. (2010). Designing health innovation networks using complexity science and systems thinking: The CoNEKTR Model. Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice, 16, 1016-1023.
22. Ho, K., Jarvis-Sellinger, S., Norman, C.D., Li, L., Olatunbosun, T., Cressman, C., & Nguyen, A. (2010). Electronic Community of Practice: Guidelines from a project. Journal of Continuing Education in the Health Professions, 30 (2), 139-143.
23. Best, A., Terpstra, J., Moor, G., Riley, B., Norman, C.D., & Glasgow, R. (2009). Building knowledge integration systems for evidence-informed decisions. Journal of Health Organization Management, 23 (6), 627-641.
24. Norman, C.D. (2009). Health promotion as a systems science and practice. Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice, 15 (5), 868-872.
25. Norman, C.D., Maley, O., Li, X., & Skinner, H.A. (2008). Using the Internet to initiate and assist smoking prevention in schools: A randomized controlled trial. Health Psychology, 27 (6), 799-810.
26. Best, A., Hiatt, R. & Norman, C.D. (2008). Knowledge integration: Conceptualizing Communications in Cancer Control Systems. Patient Education & Counselling, 71 (3), 319-327.