Onyenyechukwu Nnorom MD, CCFP, MPH, FRCPC
Dr. Onye Nnorom is a family doctor and public health specialist. Dr. Nnorom is the Associate Program Director of the Public Health & Preventive Medicine Residency Program at the University of Toronto, Black Health Theme Lead for the Faculty of Medicine and Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Lead within the Department of Family and Community Medicine at the University of Toronto, host of the podcast Race, Health and Happiness, and she is the Past President of the Black Physicians’ Association of Ontario.
Education & Training History
BSc – Concordia University, 2003
MDCM – McGill University, 2007
CCFP – University of Toronto, 2009
MPH – University of Toronto, 2010
FRCPC – University of Toronto, 2012
Primary Teaching Responsibilities
Associate Program Director, Public Health and Preventive Medicine Residency Program
Black health and anti-racist medical education in Canada
- Osei-Twum JA, Gedleh S, Lofters A, Nnorom O. Differences in Breast Cancer Presentation at Time of Diagnosis for Black and White Women in High Resource Settings. J Immigr Minor Health. 2021 Dec;23(6):1305-1342. doi: 10.1007/s10903-021-01161-3. Epub 2021 Mar 8. PMID: 33721146; PMCID: PMC8599379.
- Nnorom O, Sappong-Kumankumah A, Olaiya OR, Burnett M, Akor N, Shi N, Wright P, Gebreyesus A, Gebremikael L, Lofters A. Afrocentric screening program for breast, colorectal, and cervical cancer among immigrant patients in Ontario. Can Fam Physician. 2021 Nov;67(11):843-849. doi: 10.46747/cfp.6711843. PMID: 34772714; PMCID: PMC8589122.
- Eissa A, Lofters A, Akor N, Prescod C, Nnorom O. Increasing SARS-CoV-2 vaccination rates among Black people in Canada. CMAJ. 2021 Aug 9;193(31):E1220-E1221. doi: 10.1503/cmaj.210949. PMID: 34373272; PMCID: PMC8367428.
- Dryden O, Nnorom O. Time to dismantle systemic anti-Black racism in medicine in Canada. CMAJ. 2021 Jan 11;193(2):E55-E57. doi: 10.1503/cmaj.201579.
- Mpalirwa, Joseph MD; Lofters, Aisha MD, PhD; Nnorom, Onye MD, MPH; Hanson, Mark D. MD, FRCPC Patients, Pride, and Prejudice: Exploring Black Ontarian Physicians’ Experiences of Racism and Discrimination, Academic Medicine: November 2020 – Volume 95 – Issue 11S – p S51-S57 doi: 10.1097/ACM.0000000000003648
- Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Lead, DFCM, Temerty Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto
- Black Health Theme Lead, MD Program, Temerty Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto
- Clinical Consultant, Nicotine Dependence Clinic, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health
- Co-Lead, Black Health Education Collaborative (BHEC)
- Host, Race, Health and Happiness Podcast
- Faculty Affiliate, The Centre for Research & Innovation for Black Survivors of Homicide Victims (The CRIB)