Laura C. Rosella PhD, MHSc
- Epidemiologic methods
- Applied biostatistics
- Population and public health
- Population-based risk tools to support public health planning
- Social determinants of health
- Premature mortality
- Diabetes and obesity
- Public health policy
Scientist, Public Health Ontario
Adjunct Scientist, Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences (ICES)
Member, Banting and Best Diabetes Centre, Vulnerable Populations/Population Health
Primary Teaching Responsibilities
• Methods in epidemiology and applied biostatistics
• Categorical Data Analysis for Epidemiologic Studies (CHL5407)
• Research Methods II (CHL5408)
• Supervise graduate students
Current Research Projects
- Rosella, L.C., Population health analytics in action: Improving impact, sustainability & equity of the health care system. Foundation Scheme: Canadian Institutes of Health Research (Funded: 2016-2021)
- Rosella, L.C. (NPA), Henry, D., (Co-PI), Bornbaum, C., Donnelly, P., Frank, J., Gershon, A., Guttman, A., Jha, P., Urquia, M., Manuel, D., Mowat, D., Schull, M., Tepper, J., Tu, J., Turnbull, J., Urquia, M., Veillard, J., Walker, J., Wodchis, W. Using comprehensive multi-linked mortality files to evaluate health system functioning and inform health system planning in Ontario. Operating Grant: Canadian Institutes of Health Research (Funded: 2015-2018)
- Rosella, L.C. (NPA), Fransoo, R., Mowat,D., Hayes, A., Booth, G., Peirson, L., Bornbaum, C., Stukel, T., O’Reilly, D. Supporting decision making for the prevention of chronic disease and reduction of high health care utilization. Operating Grant: Canadian Institutes of Health Research – PHSI (Funded 2015- 2018)
- Rosella, L.C. (PI), Bornstein, S., Harper, S., Booth, G., Manuel, D.G.,O’Reilly, D., Stukel, T.S., Wodchis, W., Maximizing population benefit by applying population risk tools: A new direction for diabetes prevention in Canada. Operating Grant: Canadian Institutes of Health Research (Funded: 2014-2015)
- Rosella, L.C. (PI), Harper, S.,Booth, G., Manuel, D.G.,O’Reilly, D., Stukel, T.S., Maximizing population benefit by applying population risk tools: A new direction for diabetes prevention in Canada. Operating Grant: Canadian Institutes of Health Research (Funded: 2014-2015)
- Rosella, L. C (PI), Mowat, D. (KU-PI), Bruce, S., Caetano, P. (KU), Fransoo, R., Johnson, I., Manuel, D.G, Martens, P., Gardner, C. (KU), Supporting diabetes population health risk tools in practice: Partnerships to guide adaption, implementation and evaluation. Operating Grant: Canadian Institutes of Health Research (Funded: 2013-2015)
- Rosella, L. C (PI), Manuel, D.G., Booth, G., Wodchis, W., O’Reilly, D., Harper, S., Stukel, T.S., Quantifying future risk and burden of type 2 diabetes in Canada: tools to inform the prevention of obesity and diabetes. Operating Grant: Canadian Institutes of Health Research (Funded: 2013-2014)
- Rosella, L.C. (PI), Wodchis, W., Manson, H., Goel, V.G. High-users of Ontario’s health care system: A comprehensive look at the characteristics and upstream determinants of high cost users in Ontario. (Funded: 2013-2014)
Selected recent publications (** Students under my supervision)
- **Khan, A.M., Urquia, M., Kornas, K., Henry, D., Cheng, S.Y., Bornbaum, C., Rosella, L.C. Socioeconomic gradients in all-cause, premature and avoidable mortality using among immigrants and long-term residents using linked deaths records in Ontario, Canada. Journal of Epidemiology & Community Health. 2017. In Press.
- Rosella L.C., Calzavara A., Frank J., Fitzpatrick T., Donnelly P. Henry D. The narrowing mortality gap between men and women over two decades: A registry based study in Ontario, Canada. In Press: BMJ Open. 2016; 6(11): e012564.
- Rosella L.C., Bowman C., Pach B., Morgan S., Fitzpatrick T., Goel V. The development and validation of a meta-tool for quality appraisal of public health evidence: Meta Quality Appraisal Tool (MetaQAT). Public Health. 2016 Jul;136:57-65.
- Manuel D.G.M., Perez R., Sanmartin C., Taljaard M., Hennessy D., Wilson K., Tanuseputro P., Manson H., Bennett C., Tuna M., Rosella L.C. Measuring burden of unhealthy behaviours using a multivariable predictive approach: life expectancy lost in Canada from smoking, alcohol, physical inactivity. PLoS Medicine. 2016; 13(8): e1002082.
- Rosella, L.C. Lebenbaum, M, Fitzpatrick, T., O’Rielly, D., Wang, J., Booth, G.L., Wodchis, W. The impact of diabetes on health care costs in a population-based cohort: A cost analysis. Diabetic Medicine. 2016; 33(3): 395-403.
- Rosella, L.C., Lebenbaum, M., Fitzpatrick, T., Zuk, A., Booth, G.L. The prevalence of undiagnosed diabetes in Canada (2007-2011): Diabetes screening according to fasting plasma glucose and HbA1c screening criteria. Diabetes Care. 2015; 38(7): 1299-1305.
- Fitpatrick, T., Rosella, L.C., Calzavara, A., Petch, J., Pinto, A., Manson, W., Goel, V., Wodchis, W. Looking beyond income and education: Socioeconomic gradients among future high cost users of healthcare. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. Online First: May 8, 2015
- Rosella, L.C., FItzpatrick, T., Calzavara, A., Manson, H., Wodchis, W., Goel, V. High-users of Ontario’s health care system: Applying a population perspective to the determinants of high cost use. BMC Health Services Research. 2014; 14: 532.
- Rosella, L.C., Lebenbaum, M., Wang, J., Li, Y., Manuel, D., Risk distribution and its influence on the population targets for diabetes prevention. Preventive Medicine. 2014; 58: 17-21.
- Rosella, L.C. ,Peirson L, Bornbaum C, et al. Supporting collaborative use of the Diabetes Population Risk Tool (DPoRT) in health-related practice: a multiple care study research protocol. Implementation Science. 2014; 9:35
- Rosella L.C. , Rivera L, Lebenbaum M. Implications of Clinical Targets for Diabetes Prevention. Annals of Epidemiology 2013; 23(9):587-588.
- Rosella L.C. , Lebenbaum LM. Applying A Population Risk Tool to Identify Impaired Fasting Glucose in the U.S. Population. Annals of Epidemiology 2013; 23(9):593.
- Rosella, L.C., Manuel, D.G, Burchill, C., Stukel, T.A. A population based risk algorithm for the development of diabetes: Development and validation of the Diabetes Population Risk Tool (DPoRT). Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health. 2011; 65(11): 613-20.
- Rosella, L.C., Corey, P., Stukel, T.A., Mustard, C., Hux, J., Manuel, D.G. The influence of measurement error on calibration, discrimination, and overall estimation of a risk prediction model. Population Health Metrics. 2012, 10:20
- Rosella, L.C., Corey, P., Stukel, T.A., Mustard, C., Hux, J., Roos, L., Manuel, D.G. The role of ethnicity in predicting diabetes risk at the population level. Ethnicity and Health. 2012, 17 (4): 419-437
- Manuel, D.M., Rosella, L.C., Hennessy, D., Sanmartin, C., Wilson, K. Predictive risk algorithms in a population setting: an overview. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health. (In Press)
- Rosella, L.C., Groenwold, R.H.H., Crowcroft, N.S. Assessing the impact of confounding (measured and unmeasured) in a case control study to examine the increased risk of pandemic A/H1N1 associated with receipt of the 2008-9 seasonal influenza vaccine. Vaccine 2011;29(49):9194-200
- Rosella L.C., Wilson K., Crowcroft N.S., Chu A., Upshur R., Willison D., Deeks S.L., Schwartz B, Tustin J, Sider D, Goel V. Pandemic H1N1 in Canada and the use of evidence in developing public health policies-a policy analysis. Social Science and Medicine 2013 83:1-9.
- Kwong J.C., Campitelli M.A., Rosella L.C. Obesity and respiratory hospitalizations during influenza season in Ontario, Canada, a cohort study. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2011; 53: 413-42.
- Campitelli M.A., Rosella L.C., Stukel T.A., Kwong J.C. Influenza vaccination and all-cause mortality in community-dwelling elderly in Ontario, Canada, a cohort study Vaccine 2010; Dec 16; 29(2):240-6.
- Wilson SE, Rosella L.C., Lipscombe LL, et al. The effectiveness and efficiency of diabetes screening in Ontario, Canada: a population-based cohort study BMC Public Health 2010;10.
- Manuel D.G., Rosella L.C., Stukel T.A. Importance of accurately identifying disease in studies using electronic health records. British Medical Journal 2010;341.
- Skowronski D.M., De Serres G., Crowcroft N.S., Janjua N.Z., Boulianne N, Hottes T.S., Rosella L.C., Dickinson J.A., Gilca R, et al.. Association between the 2008-09 seasonal influenza vaccine and pandemic H1N1 illness during Spring-Summer 2009: four observational studies from Canada. PLoS Medicine 2010; Apr 6;7(4):e1000258.
- Guller, U., Rosella, L., Karanicolas, P.J., Adamina, M., Hahnloser, D. Laproscopic sigmoid resection: Population-based trend analysis of 2,813 patients. British Journal of Surgery 2010; 97:79-85.