Xiaolin Wei MBBS, MPH, PhD
- Email Address(es)
- Office Phone
- 416 978 2020
- Office Address
- 582-155 College Street, Toronto, ON M5T 3M7, Canada
- Clinical Public Health Division
Office of Global Public Health Education & Training
- Associate Professor
- SGS Status
- Associate Member
- Appointment Status
- Health service delivery in antibiotics resistance, tuberculosis and diabetes/ hypertension control: Primary care based interventions to improve antibiotic rational use, diabetes/ hypertension care and tuberculosis control. Health policy evaluations
- Operational research, clustered randomised controlled trials
- Primary care reforms and policy evaluation: Primary care reforms, public private models, patient evaluations, vulnerable groups
education & training history
PhD, University of Toronto, Canada
MPH, Peking University, China
MD, Jining Medical School, China
Fellow, Faculty of Public Health, UK
Secretary-General, The International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease
PRIMARY TEACHING RESPONSIBILITIES
• CHL5631H: Tuberculosis Control and Public Health Foundations
• CHL5005H (PhD stream): Introduction to Public Health
- HAD 7001H-S1: Comparative Health Systems and Policy
• Supervising Master and PhD students
CURRENT RESEARCH PROJECTS
- Principle investigator Promoting treatment supporters for patients who have type 2 diabetes and hypertension: a pilot study, by Diabetes Action Canada
(Selected recent publications)
- Wei, X, Zhang, Z, Walley JD, Hicks, JP, Zeng J, Deng S, Zhou Y, Yin J, Newell JN, Sun Q, Zou G, Guo Y, Upshur REG, Lin M. Effect of a training and educational intervention for physicians and caregivers on antibiotic prescribing for upper respiratory tract infections in children at primary care facilities in rural China: a cluster-randomised controlled trial. Lancet Glob Health. 2017 http://www.thelancet.com/journals/langlo/article/PIIS2214-109X(17)30383-2/fulltext
- Wei X,* Yin J, Walley JD, Zhang Z, Hicks JP, Zhou Y, et al. Impact of China’s essential medicines scheme and zero-mark-up policy on antibiotic prescriptions in county hospitals: a mixed methods study. Tropical medicine & international health : TM & IH. 2017.
- Zhang Z, Hu Y, Zou G, et al and Wei X*. Antibiotic prescribing for upper respiratory infections among children in rural China: a cross-sectional study of outpatient prescriptions. Glob Health Action 2017;10:1287334.
- Zou G, Wei X*: A qualitative study of two management models of community health centres in two Chinese megacities. Glob Health Action 2017, 28:1-13
- Li H, Wei X*, Wong MCS: Changes of the perceived quality of care for older patients with hypertension by community health centers in shanghai. BMC family practice 2017, 18(1):114.
- Walker IF, Baral SC, Wei X, et al. Multidrug-resistant tuberculosis treatment programmes insufficiently consider comorbid mental disorders. The international journal of tuberculosis and lung disease : the official journal of the International Union against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease 2017;21:603-9
- Gong W, Wei X, Liang Y, et al. Urban and Rural Differences of Acute Cardiovascular Disease Events: A Study from the Population-Based Real-Time Surveillance System in Zhejiang, China in 2012. PloS one 2016; 11(11): e0165647.
- Wei X,* Yin J, Wong SY, Griffiths SM, Zou G, Shi L. Private ownership of primary care providers associated with patient perceived quality of care: A comparative cross-sectional survey in three big Chinese cities. Medicine 2017; 96(1): e5755.
- Ge E, Zhang R, Li D, Wei X,* Wang X, Lai PC. Estimating Risks of Inapparent Avian Exposure for Human Infection: Avian Influenza Virus A (H7N9) in Zhejiang Province, China. Sci Rep 2017; 7: 40016.
- Zou G, Wei X*, Hicks JP, Hu Y, Walley J, Zeng J, Elsey H, King R, Zhang Z, Deng S, Huang Y, Blacklock C,Yin J, Sun Q, Lin, M. Protocol for a pragmatic cluster randomised controlled trial for reducing irrational antibiotic prescribing among children with upper respiratory infections in rural China. BMJ Open. 2016;6(5):e010544. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2015-010544.
- Hu Y, Walley J, Chou R, Tucker JD, Harwell JI, Wu X, Yin J, Zou G, Wei X*. Interventions to reduce childhood antibiotic prescribing for upper respiratory infections: systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health. 2016. doi: 10.1136/jech-2015-206543
- Wei X*, Li H, Yang N, Wong YSS, Chong MCK, Shi, L, Wong MCS, Xu J, Zhang D, Tang J, Li DKT, Meng Q, Griffiths S, Changes of primary care quality in two megacities of China between 2011 and 2013: a multivariate difference-in-difference analysis, Bulletin of the World Health Organisation. 2015;93:407-16
- Li H, Wei X, * Wong MC, Yang N, Wong SY, Lao X, et al. A Comparison of the Quality of Hypertension Management in Primary Care Between Shanghai and Shenzhen: A Cohort Study of 3196 Patients. Medicine. 2015;94(5):e455.
- Wei X, Li H, Yang N, Wong YSS, Owolabi O, Xu, J, Shi, L, Li K, Tang J, Griffiths S. Comparing quality of public primary care between Hong Kong and Shanghai using validated patient assessment tools, PLOS One, 2015;10(3):e0121269.
- Wei X*, Yang N, Zhang Z, Li H, Wong YS, Gao Y, Wong C, Wang J, Wang H, Li K, Tang J, Griffiths S. Comparison of three models of ownership of community health centres in China: a qualitative study Journal of Health Service Research and Policy, 2015: 20(3), 162-9
- Zou G, Zhang Z, Walley J, Gong W, Yu Y, Hu R, Yin J, Yu M, Wei X*: Use of medications and lifestyles of hypertensive patients with high risk of cardiovascular disease in rural China. PloS one 2015, 10(5):e0124484.
- Li H., R. Y.-N. Chung, Wei X*, J. Mou, S. Y.-S. Wong, M. C.-S. Wong, D. Zhang, Y. Zhang and S. Griffiths. Comparison of perceived quality amongst migrant and local patients using primary health care delivered by community health centres in Shenzhen, China. BMC Family Practice, 2014; 15(1): 76.
- Zou G, McPake B, Wei X*. Chinese health foreign aid and policy: beyond medical aid. The Lancet 2014, 383(9927):1461-1462.
- Wei X, Zou G, Gong W, Yin J, Yu Y, Walley J, et al. Cardiovascular disease risk reduction in rural China: a clustered randomized controlled trial in Zhejiang. Trials. 2013;14:354.
- Wei X, Zou G, Yin J, Walley J, Zhou B, Yu YX, Tian LW, Chen K. Characteristics of High Risk People with Cardiovascular Disease in Chinese Rural Areas: Clinical Indicators, Disease Patterns and Drug Treatment. PLOS ONE, 2013, 8(1): e54169
- Wei X*, Barnsley J, Zakus D, Cockerill R, Glazier R and Sun X. Evaluation of a diabetes management program in China demonstrated association of improved continuity of care with clinical outcomes. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology 2008:61(9): 932-39
- Yin, J., Yuan, J., Hu, Y., & Wei, X*. (2016). Association between Directly Observed Therapy and Treatment Outcomes in Multidrug-Resistant Tuberculosis: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. PLoS One, 11(3), e0150511. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0150511
- Wei X, Yin J, Zhang ZT, Walley J, Harwell J, Li H, Li R, Wang L, Sun Q, and Zhang XL, (2015), Treatment Interruptions and Provision of Directly Observed Treatment of Multidrug Resistant Tuberculosis Patients in China, Journal of International Union against TB and Lung Disease, 19(4):413–419 http://dx.doi.org/10.5588/ijtld.14.0485
- Zhang XL, Li SG, Li HT, Li GX, Guo XY, Wang Y, Li R, Yin J, Zou GY, Wei X*. Integrating tuberculosis screening into annual health examinations for the rural elderly improves case detection. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 2015;19(7):787-91. doi: 10.5588/ijtld.14.0617
- Ge, E., Zhang, X., Wang, X., & Wei, X*. (2016). Spatial and temporal analysis of tuberculosis in Zhejiang Province, China, 2009-2012. Infect Dis Poverty, 5(1), 11. doi:10.1186/s40249-016-0104-2
- Wei, X., Zou, G., Chong, M. K., & Xu, L. (2015). An intervention of active TB case finding among smokers attending routine primary care facilities in China: an exploratory study. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg, 109(9), 545-552. doi:10.1093/trstmh/trv063
- Wei X, Zou G, Yin J, Walley J, Zhang X, Li R, Sun Q. Effective reimbursement rates of the rural health insurance among uncomplicated tuberculosis patients in China. Trop Med Int Health. 2015;20(3):304-11
- Zou, G., King, R., Walley, J., Yin, J., Sun, Q., & Wei, X*. (2015). Barriers to hospital and tuberculosis programme collaboration in China: context matters. Glob Health Action, 8, 27067. doi:10.3402/gha.v8.27067
- Wei X, Zou, G, Walley, J, Yin, J, Lonroth K, Uplekar M, Wang W, Sun Q, China Tuberculosis Policy at Crucial Crossroads: Comparing the practice of different hospital and tuberculosis control collaboration models using survey data. PLOS ONE, 2014,9,3, e9059 DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0090596
- Wei X, Zou G, Yin J, Walley J and Sun Q (2013) Comparing patient care seeking pathways in three models of hospital and TB programme collaboration in China. BMC Infectious Diseases 13:93
- Walley J, Graham K, Wei X, Kain K, Weston R (2012). Getting research into practice: primary care management of noncommunicable disease in low-and middle-income counties. Bulletin of World Health Organization, 90:402
- Zou G, Wei X*, Witter S, Yin J, Walley J, Liu S, Yang H, Chen J, Tian G and Mei J (2013) Incremental cost-effectiveness of two interventions to improve treatment completion among rural-to-urban migrant TB patients in Shanghai. International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease17(8): 1056-1064
- Wei X, Zhang X, Yin J, Walley J, Beanland R, Zou G, Zhang H, Li F, Liu Z, Zee BCY, Griffiths SM. Changes in pulmonary tuberculosis prevalence: evidence from the 2010 population survey in a populous province of China. BMC Infectious Diseases, 2014, 14:21
- Wei X*, Chen J, Chen P, Newell J, Li H, Sun C, Mei J, Walley J (2009) Barriers to TB care for rural-to-urban migrant TB patients in Shanghai: a qualitative study. Tropical Medicine and International Health 14 (7), 754-60
*denotes corresponding authorship
Full publication list available at: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Xiaolin_Wei2
Google Scholar at: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=oyiAgloAAAAJ&hl=en