Farah Ahmad MBBS, MPH, PhD
- Email Address(es)
- Office Phone
- 416-2100-736x 33898
- Office Address
- York University, Keele Street 4700 HNES 414 Toronto, ON M3J 1P3
- Social & Behavioural Health Sciences Division
- Associate Professor
- SGS Status
- Associate Member
- Appointment Status
- Status Only
- Health Promotion
- Primary care access
- Mental health
- Intimate partner violence
- Breast/cervical cancer screening
- Gender, migration, ethnicity
- Mixed methods
Education & Training History
PhD – 2007
University of Toronto, Canada
MPH – 1995
Harvard University, USA
MBBS – 1988
University of the Punjab, Pakistan
North York General Hospital – Research Scientist: 2013-present
Centre for Research on Inner City Health, St. Michael Hospital-Affiliate Scientist: 2007-15
CIHR-STIHR Health, Care, Technology and Place -Mentor: 2009-15
Primary Teaching Responsibilities
2008- 10 Health Promotion – CHL 5801
2009-10 Contemporary Migration & Health – CHL 7001
Professional Summary & Appointments
I hold status appointment as Associate Professor in the Social and Behavioral Health Science Division of the Dalla Lana School of Public Health. My primary appointment is at York University, Faculty of Health in the School of Health Policy and Management.
Honours & Awards
- 2015 Recognition: York U Research Leaders of 2015. York University
- 2014-19 CIHR New Investigator Award in Community-based Primary Health Care
- 2014-19 Early Researcher Award. Ministry of Economic Dev. & Innovation, Ontario
- 2013 Kiran van Rijn Award. CIHR-STIHR: Health, Care, Technology & Place
- 2012 Dean’s Health Research Catalyst Award; Faculty of Health, York University
- 2010 Faculty Award, Centre for Urban Health Initiatives
- 2007–08 Postdoctoral Fellow; Canadian Institutes of Health Research
- 2007- 08 Postdoctoral Fellow; Canadian Institutes of Health Research
- 2005-07 Doctoral Fellow; Canadian Institutes of Health Research
- 2004-07 Health Research Fellow; Canadian Institutes of Health Research
- 2003-04 Health Research Fellow; Canadian Institutes of Health Research
Research Projects (5 years)
2017-21 Making I-SPARX fly in Nunavut (CIHR). PI: Bohr Y; $1,258,424
2016-21 Refugee integration and long-term health outcomes in Canada (CIHR). PIs: Hynie M McGrath S, McKenzie K; $1,353,165
2015-18 Students mental health: virtual support on Campus (CIHR). PIs: El Morr C, Ahmad F, Ritvo P; $434,249
2013-18 Team Grant: Transformative community-based primary healthcare initiative (CIHR). PIs: Janusz K, Daly TJ, Dolovich L, Lussier M-T; $2,496,974
2013-14 Exploring wait-room interactive technology for mental health with Chinese Canadians (North York General Hospital). PIs: Ahmad F, Fung AWL; $41,403
2013-14 Interactive computer-assisted screening (iCAS) for depression in primary care (CIHR). PI: Ahmad F; $89,933
2013-18 The Cardiovascular Health Awareness Program (CHAP) for the South Asian community in York Region: Assessing volunteer participation and the gender and ethnospecific impacts (CIHR). PIs: Daly T, Ahmad F; 679,339
2011-13 Reaching under-screened & hard-to-reach populations for cancer screening (CCO). PIs: McPherson H, O’Neil J, Dunn S; $591,164
2011-13 Engaging marginalized women in breast & cervical cancer screening (CCO). PI: Gesink D: $700,000
2009-14 Provider perspectives on computer-assisted psychosocial risk screening (University of Toronto). PI: Ahmad F; $30,000
2009-14 Team Grant: Centre for Research Development on Gender, Mental Health & Violence across Lifespan. PIs: MacMillan HL, Coben J, Herman HE, Stewart DE, Wathen CN; $2,000,000
- Ahmad F, Lou W, Shakya Y, Ginsburg L, Ng P, Rashid M, Dinca-Panaitescu S, Ledwos C & K McKenzie. Pre-consult Interactive Computer-assisted Client Assessment Survey (iCCAS) for common mental disorders in a community health center: A randomized controlled trial. CMAJ Open Mar 2017;5(1):e190-e197.
- Ahmad F, Ferrari M, Moravac C, Lofters AK & Dunn SF. Expanding the meaning of “Being a Peer Leader”: Qualitative findings from a Canadian Community-Based Cervical and Breast Cancer Screening Programme. Health and Social Care in the Community 2017;25(2):630-640.
- Ahmad F, Smylie J, Omand M, Cyriac A & O’Campo P. South Asian immigrant men and women and conceptions of partner violence. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health 2017, 19(1);57-66.
- Ahmad F, Shakya Y, Ginsburg L, Lou W, Ng P, Rashid M, Ferrari M, Ledwos C & McKenzie K. Burden of common mental disorders in a community health center sample. Canadian Family Physician 2016 62(12):2758-e766.
- Ferrari M, Ahmad F (senior author), Shakya Y, Ledwos C & K McKenzie. Computer-Assisted Client Assessment Survey for mental health: patient and health provider perspectives. BMC Health Services Research 2016;16:516.
- Ahmad F, Rai N, Petrovic B, Erickson P & Stewart DE. Resilience and resources among South Asian immigrant women as survivors of partner violence. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health 2013; 15(6):1057-1064.
- Ahmad F, Norman C & O’Campo P. What is needed to implement a computer-assisted psychosocial risk assessment tool? An exploratory concept mapping study. BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making 2013; 12(149); e11.
- Ahmad F, Shakya Y, Li J, Karyan K, Norman C, Lou W, Abuelaish I & Ahmadzi M. A pilot with computer-assisted psychosocial risk–assessment for refugees. BMC Medical Informatics and Decision-making 2012; 12(71):e1-e8.
- Ahmad F, Mahmood S, MacDonald L, Pietkiewicz I & Ginsburg O. A Concept Mapping of study of barriers and solutions to uptake of mammography among South Asian immigrant women. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health 2012; 14(2):242-250.
- O’Campo P, Kirst M, Tsamis C, Chamber C & Ahmad F. Implementing successful intimate partner violence screening programs in health care settings: evidence generated from a realist-informed systematic review. Social Science and Medicine 2011 March;72(6).
- Ahmad F & Driver N, McNally MJ, Stewart DE. “Why doesn’t she seek help for partner abuse?” An exploratory study with South Asian immigrant women. Social Science and Medicine 2009; 6: 613-622.
- Ahmad F, Hogg-Johnson S, Stewart DE, Skinner HA, Glazier RH & Levinson W. Computer-assisted risk screening for intimate partner violence: A randomized controlled trial. Annals of Internal Medicine 2009;151: 93-102.
- Ahmad F, Hudak PL, Bercovitz K, Hollenberg E & Levinson W. Are physicians ready for patients with Internet-based health information? Journal of Medical Internet Research 2006;8(3):e22.
- Ahmad F, Vanza R, Shik A, Cheung A, George U & Stewart DE. Voices of South Asian women: Immigration and mental health. Women and Health 2005;40(4): 113-130.
- Ahmad F, Cameron JI & Stewart DE. Tailored promotion of breast cancer screening among South Asian immigrant women. Social Science and Medicine 2005;60(1):575-558.