Skip to content

English Language Proficiency

  • English Language Proficiency (ELP) is required and must be established by all applicants who completed their university degrees outside of Canada, where the language of instruction is not uniformly English.  However, a  university education in English may not be considered sufficient (for example, ELP is still required for graduates from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Saudi Arabia).
  • If you completed the admitting degree of your post-secondary studies in a country where English is not the native language, you must take an approved test of English Language Proficiency which includes a test of written English, even if you have been living and/or working in an English-speaking country.
  • A Medical Residency in English does not satisfy the English language proficiency requirement.
  • A College diploma or post-graduate certificate does not satisfy the English language proficiency requirement.
  • Your application will not be considered without proof of English language proficiency.
  • A satisfactory English language proficiency test result must be available prior to the application deadline.
  • Scores must meet the minimum requirements set by SGS and must be valid (taken within 2 years of submission of the application). Please indicate your scores on your application.
  • Applicants must request their original test scores be sent, electronically, directly from the testing service to the University of Toronto, Enrolment Services. The institution code for U of T is 0982. There is no need to specify a department.

Approved ELP Tests:

1. Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL):

Minimum acceptable TOEFL/TWE scores:

Paper-based test Overall score: 580 TWE: 5.0
Internet-based test Overall score: 93 Writing score: 22 Speaking score: 22

Note: Results from the TOEFL iBT Home Edition (launched in select countries in March 2020) can be used to satisfy the English-language proficiency requirement.

We do not accept the TOEFL ITP or TOEFL ITP Plus For China for admission purposes.

2. International English Language Testing System (IELTS):

Minimum acceptable IELTS scores:  7.0 (Academic) with at least 6.5 for each component.

3. Certificate of English Proficiency (COPE):

Required score: 76 (with at least 22 in each component and 32 in the writing component).

4. Canadian Academic English Language Assessment (CAEL):

Required score: 70 minimum total with at least 60 in each part

5. International ESL Academic Preparation course – School of Continuing Studies, University of Toronto:

Required score: A final grade of B in Level 60

Visit the U of T School of Graduate Studies Admissions website for more information.

Equivalency of degrees completed outside of North America

International or domestic applicants who have completed all or part of their university education at an university outside of Canada or the United States, should check which degrees and grades are required for admission to either the Masters or Doctoral program:

Tuition & Funding

Master’s applicants from abroad should secure funding well in advance of their intended graduate studies. In addition to tuition fees, you will need a minimum of CDN $1,500 per month in living expenses, plus health insurance. Overall, you will require at least CDN $50,000 per year for each year of academic study.

Most of the available sources of funding are restricted to, or give preference to students with Canadian citizenship or landed immigrant status. Unfortunately, neither the University of Toronto nor the Dalla Lana School of Public Health has any contingency funds to assist students who run out of money during the course of their academic program.

International applicants should contact their own government or Canadian Embassy Consulate for information on sponsorship through international agencies and Canadian government programs. Many international students come to the University of Toronto with support from their own governments or other agencies. However, international students must ensure that adequate support is provided since employment opportunities for Visa students are limited.

Below is a list of a few agencies that have been helpful to students in the past:

U of T Centre for International Experience (CIE)

Visit the CIE website for information on the programs and services available to international students. Immigration Advisors are available to assist with questions about immigration and study permits.