Erica Di Ruggiero BSc., MHSc., PhD, RD
- Email Address(es)
- Office Phone
- Office Address
- Health Sciences Building 155 College Street, Room 408 Toronto, ON M5T 3M7
- Office of Global Public Health Education & Training
Social & Behavioural Health Sciences Division
- Assistant Professor
- SGS Status
- Associate Member
- Appointment Status
- Admin Position
- Director of the Office of Global Public Health Education and Training
- Study of population health interventions (policies, programs), their health and health equity impacts:
- Relationship between context and population health interventions
- Social and economic policies influencing decent work at the global level
- Global agenda setting in policy
- Population health intervention and implementation research
- Qualitative research and mixed methods research; discourse analysis
- Knowledge utilization and exchange strategies to influence public health decision-making at national and global levels
Primary Teaching Responsibilities
- Co-Director, Introduction to Public Health Sciences, CHL5004H
- Lead Instructor, Collaborative Doctoral Specialization in Global Health Seminar, CHL5701
- Lead Instructor, Population Health Intervention Research, CHL5132H
- Co-Instructor, An Interdisciplinary Approach to Global Challenges, JCR1000Y
Professional Summary & Appointments
I am the Director of the Office of Global Public Health Education & Training. I am the Director of the Collaborative Specialization in Global Health. I am an Assistant Professor in the Division of Social and Behavioural Health Sciences. I am an Associate Member of the School of Graduate Studies.
Honours & Awards
- Commendation for Dr. Erica Di Ruggiero from the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR’s) Science Council for “outstanding accomplishments, contributions and leadership throughout her 15 years with the CIHR and specifically its Institute of Population and Public Health” (2016)
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research Instant Award for Professional Excellence
- Canadian Public Health Association, Special Recognition Award for Outstanding Contributions
- CIHR-Institute of Population and Public Health Advisory Board Award for Excellence
- CIHR President Award for Team Excellence and Professional Excellence
- Canadian Cancer Society Award for Excellence in Medicine and Health
- Society of Chemical Industry Merit Award for Outstanding Academic Achievement, University of Toronto, Nutritional Sciences
- Daniel Wilson Scholarship in Science, University of Toronto, Nutritional Sciences
Current Research Projects
Having joined DLSPH full-time in December 2016, I am developing program of research that examines how evidence affects global policy agendas related to employment and health equity. My work addresses questions about the roles of public/private partnerships and global institutions in promoting and protecting health and preventing chronic disease. I also study population health interventions, using novel conceptual and methodological tools to conduct international comparative policy research on global social and health inequities.
- Di Ruggiero, E., Edwards, N. (2018). The Interplay between Participatory Health Research and Implementation Research: Canadian Research Funding Perspectives. BioMed Research International. DOI: 10.1155/2018/1519402
- Di Ruggiero, E., Mwatsama, M., Leung, Z., Hallen, G. (2018). Sustainable partnerships for NCD prevention: implications for public health
- Craig, P, Di Ruggiero, E., Frohlich, K., Mykhalovskiy, E., & White, M. on behalf of the CIHR-NIHR context guidance authors group (2018): https://www.journalslibrary.nihr.ac.uk/downloads/FullReport-CIHR-NIHR-01.pdf
- Di Ruggiero, E., Viehbeck, S., Mwatsama, M., Brown, A., Graff, H. Landon J.(2017). Public-Private Relationships and Governance in Public Health Research and Policy. Oxford Bibliographies in Public Health.
- Di Ruggiero, E., Potvin, L. (on behalf of multiple journal editors). (2017). Ottawa Statement from the Sparking Solutions Summit on Population Health Intervention Research. Can J of Public Health. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.17269/cjph.107.6061
- Shoveller, JA, Viehbeck, S, Di Ruggiero, E, Greyson, D, Thomson, K, Knight R. Context Matters: A scoping review of population health intervention research (2016). Critical Public Health. doi: 10.1080/09581596.2015.1117577.
- Di Ruggiero, E. Cohen, J. Cole, D. & Forman, L. (2015). Competing conceptualizations of decent work at the intersection of health, social and economic discourses. Social Science and Medicine. 133:120-127. doi:10.1016/j.socscimed.2015.03.026.
- Di Ruggiero, E. Cohen, J. Cole, D. & Forman, L. (2015). Public health agenda setting in a global context: the case of the ILO Decent Work Agenda. American Journal of Public Health. April 2015, Vol. 105, No. 4, pp. e58-e61. doi: 10.2105/AJPH.2014.302455.
- Di Ruggiero, E, Cohen, J, Cole, D. (2014). The politics of agenda setting at the global level: key informant interviews regarding the International Labour Organization Decent Work Agenda. Globalization and Health. 10:56; doi:10. 1186/1744-8603-10-56.
- Boutilier, Z., Daibes, I., & Di Ruggiero, E. (Editors). (2011). Global health research case studies: lessons from partnerships addressing health inequities. BMC Int Health Hum Rights. 11(Suppl 2): S2.
- Edwards, N., & Di Ruggiero, E. (2011). Exploring which context matters in the study of health inequities and their mitigation. Scandinavian Journal of Public Health, 39(SUPPL. 6), 43-49.
- Di Ruggiero, E., Zarowsky, C., Frank, J., Mhatre, S., Aslanyan, G., Perry, A., et al. (2006). Coordinating Canada’s research response to global health challenges: The Global Health Research Initiative. Canadian Journal of Public Health, 97(1), 29-31.
- Etches, V., Frank, J., Di Ruggiero, E., & Manuel, D. (2006). Measuring population health: A review of indicators. Annual Review of Public Health, 27, 29-55.
- Frank, J., Di Ruggiero, E. D., McInnes, R. R., Kramer, M., & Gagnon, F. (2006). Large life-course cohorts for characterizing genetic and environmental contributions: The need for more thoughtful designs. Epidemiology, 17(6), 595-598.
- Frank JW, Di Ruggiero E. (2003) Public health in Canada: What are the real issues? Canadian Journal of Public Health; 94(3):190-192.
- Frank JW, Di Ruggiero E. (2003) Prevention: delivering the goods. (Invited article) in Longwoods Review; 2:2-8.