Nicholas Mitsakakis MSc, PhD, P.Stat.
- Email Address(es)
- Office Phone
- (416) 634-8801
- Office Address
- 10th Floor Eaton North, Room 247 Toronto General Hospital 200 Elizabeth Street Toronto, ON M5G 2C4
- Biostatistics Division
- Assistant Professor
- SGS Status
- Associate Member
- Appointment Status
- Non budgtry Crss
- Statistical methods for health economics
- Graphical models
- Medical prediction modelling
- Data science
- Clinical trials
EDUCATION & TRAINING HISTORY
2016 Professional Statistician (P.Stat.) accreditation, Statistical Society of Canada
2010 PhD in Biostatistics, Dalla Lana School of Public Health, University of Toronto
1996 MSc in Information Technology: Knowledge Based Systems, Department of Artificial Intelligence, University of Edinburgh, UK
1995 MSc in Mathematics, University of Athens, Greece
1991 BSc in Mathematics, University of Athens, Greece
Assistant Professor, Institute of Health Policy Management and Evaluation
Senior Biostatistician, Biostatistics Research Unit, University Health Network
Investigator, Toronto Health Economics and Technology Assessment Collaborative
CURRENT RESEARCH PROJECTS
- Benefits of transformations when applying linear regression to semicontinuous skewed data
- Defining and testing independence in multi-attribute preference based instruments
- Cameron A, MacKeigan, Mitsakakis N, Pugsley J. Multiple Mini-Interview Predictive Validity for Performance on a Pharmacy Licensing Exam. Medical Education, accepted for publication
- Kohler JC, Mitsakakis N, Saadat F, Byng D, Martinez MG. Does Pharmaceutical Pricing Transparency Matter? Examining Brazil’s Public Procurement System, Globalization and Health, 2015, 11:34
- Mitsakakis N. and Tomlinson G. Bayesian regression models for estimation of disease-specific net costs using aggregate data, Stat Methods Med Res. 2015 Jan 23. pii: 0962280214568110. [Epub ahead of print]
- Krahn MD, Bremner KE, Zagorski B, Alibhai SM, Chen W, Tomlinson G, Mitsakakis N, Naglie G. Health Care Costs for State Transition Models in Prostate Cancer, Med Decis Making. 2014 Apr; 34(3):366-78
- Bremner K, Mitsakakis N, Wilson L, Krahn M, Predicting utility scores for prostate cancer: Mapping the Prostate Cancer Index to the Patient Oriented Prostate Utility Scale (PORPUS), Prostate Cancer and Prostatic Diseases, 2014 Mar; 17(1):47-56
- Stern A, Mitsakakis N, Paulden M, Alibhai S, Wong J, Tomlinson G, Brooker AS, Krahn M, Zwarenstein M, Pressure Ulcer Multidisciplinary Teams via Telemedicine: A Pragmatic Cluster Randomized Stepped Wedge Trial in Long Term Care, BMC Health Services Research, 2014 Feb 24;14(1):83.
- Chan B., Ieraci L, Mitsakakis N., Pham B, Krahn M. Net costs of hospital-acquired and pre-admission PUs among older people hospitalised in Ontario, Journal of Wound Care, 2013 Jul;22(7):341-2, 344-6..
- Mitsakakis N, Wijeysundera CH, Krahn M. Beyond Case Fatality Rate: using Potential Impact Fraction to estimate the effect of increasing treatment uptake on mortality, BMC Medical Research Methodology, 2013 Sep 4;13(1):109.
- Mitsakakis N., Razak, Z, Escobar, DM. and Westwood, JT. Prediction of Drosophila gene functions using Support Vector Machines, BioData Mining, 2013 Apr 2;6(1):8
- Clarke H, Kirkham KR, Orser BA, Katznelson R, Mitsakakis N, Ko R, Snyman A, Ma M, Katz J. Gabapentin reduces preoperative anxiety and pain catastrophizing in highly anxious patients prior to major surgery: a blinded randomized placebo-controlled trial. Can J Anaesth. 2013 May;60(5):432-443. Epub 2013 Feb 2.
- Perlas, A., Mitsakakis N., Liu L., Cino M, Haldipur N., Davis L, Cubillos J, Chan VWS. Validation of a mathematical model of ultrasound determined gastric volume by gastroscopic examination, Anesthesia & Analgesia, 2013 Feb;116(2):357-63
- Mitsakakis N., Massam, H and Escobar, DM (2011), A Metropolis-Hastings based method for sampling from the G-Wishart distribution in Gaussian Graphical Models, Electron. J. Statist., Volume 5, 18-30.
- Wijeysundera HC, Mitsakakis N, Witteman W, Paulden M, van der Velde G, Tu JV, Lee DS, Goodman SG, Petrella R, O’Flaherty M, Capewell S, Krahn M. Achieving Quality Indicator Benchmarks and Potential Impact on Coronary Heart Disease Mortality. Can J Cardiol. 2011
- Clarke H, Kay J, Mitsakakis N, Katz J, (2010) Acute pain after total hip arthroplasty does not predict the development of chronic postsurgical pain 6 months later, Journal of Anesthesia, Vol. 24 (4), 537-543.
- Katznelson R, Djaiani G, Mitsakakis N, Lindsay TF, Tait G, Friedman Z, Wasowicz M, Beattie WS (2009) Delirium following vascular surgery: increased incidence with preoperative beta-blocker administration. Canadian Journal of Anaesthesia, Nov;56(11):793-801
- Clarke H, Pereira S, Kennedy D, Andrion J, Mitsakakis N, Gollish J, Katz J. and Kay J (2009) Adding gabapentin to a multimodal regimen does not reduce acute pain, opioid consumption or chronic pain after total hip arthroplasty. Acta Anaesthesiologica Scandinavica 53(8):1073-83.
- Perlas, A., Chan, VWS, Lupu, CM, Mitsakakis, N and Hanbidge, A (2009) Ultrasound Assessment of Gastric Content and Volume. Anesthesiology. Anesthesiology 111(1):82-9,
- Katznelson R, Djaiani GN, Borger MA, Friedman Z, Abbey SE, Fedorko L, Karski J, Mitsakakis N, Carroll J, Beattie WS. (2009) Preoperative use of statins is associated with reduced early delirium rates after cardiac surgery. 2009 Jan;110(1):67-73.
- Zhang W., Morris QD, Chang R, Shai O, Bakowski MB, Mitsakakis N, et al (2004). The functional landscape of mouse gene expression. Journal of Biology, 3:21.