Nicholas Mitsakakis MSc, PhD, P.Stat.
- Email Address(es)
- Office Phone
- (416) 634-8801
- Office Address
- 13th Floor Eaton North, Room 238 Toronto General Hospital 200 Elizabeth Street Toronto, ON M5G 2C4
- Biostatistics Division
- Adjunct Lecturer
- SGS Status
- Associate Member
- Appointment Status
- Non budgtry Crss
- Statistical methods for health economics
- Heath Data Science and Machine Learning
- Medical prediction modelling
- Clinical trials
- Graphical models
EDUCATION & TRAINING HISTORY
2016 Professional Statistician (P.Stat.) accreditation, Statistical Society of Canada
2010 PhD in Biostatistics, Dalla Lana School of Public Health, University of Toronto
1996 MSc in Information Technology: Knowledge Based Systems, Department of Artificial Intelligence, University of Edinburgh, UK
1995 MSc in Mathematics, University of Athens, Greece
1991 BSc in Mathematics, University of Athens, Greece
Assistant Professor, Institute of Health Policy Management and Evaluation
Senior Biostatistician, Biostatistics Research Unit, University Health Network
Affiliate Scientist, Toronto General Hospital Research Institute
Adjunct Professor, Department of Community Health Sciences, University of Manitoba
Investigator, Toronto Health Economics and Technology Assessment Collaborative
CURRENT RESEARCH PROJECTS
- Regression methods for semi-continuous data
- Identification of health state transitions from administrative data
- Fitzpatrick M, Rac V, Mitsakakis N et SIESTA – Home Sleep Study with BresoDx® for Obstructive Sleep Apnea: A Randomized Controlled Trial, Sleep Medicine, Accepted
- Marcus L, Mackeigan L, Leblanc K, Orlov D, Mitsakakis N, Austin Z, Jassal SV, Battistella M, Management of Stroke Risk in Patients on Hemodialysis with Atrial Fibrillation: A Comparison of Cardiologists and Nephrologists in Canada, Clinical Nephrology, Accepted
- Levy L, Tigert A, Huszti E, Moshkelgosha S, Joe B, Boonstra K, Saito T, Tikkanen J, Keshavjee S, Mitsakakis N, Juvet S, Martinu T. Epithelial Cell Death Markers in Bronchoalveolar Lavage Correlate with Chronic Lung Allograft Dysfunction Subtypes and Survival in Lung Transplant Recipients. Transplant International. April 2019, In press
- Krahn M, Bremner K, de Oliveira C, Dixon SN, McFarlane P, Garg AX, Mitsakakis N, Blake PG, Harvey R, Pechlivanoglou P. Home dialysis is associated with lower costs and better survival than other modalities: a population-based study in Ontario, Canada. Peritoneal Dialysis International. Accepted.
- Parker JL, Domazetoski E, Bureau M, Lopes G, Kuzulugil SS, Mitsakakis N. A Risk-Based Paradigm of Biomarkers in Clinical Trials. In Companion and Complementary Diagnostics 2019 Jan 1 (pp. 399-412). Academic Press.
- Francis T, Kabboul N, Rac V, Mitsakakis N, Pechlivanoglou P, Bielecki J, Alter D, Krahn M. The Effect of Cardiac Rehabilitation on Health Related Quality of Life in Patients with Coronary Artery Disease: A Meta-Analysis. Canadian Journal of Cardiology. 2018 Nov 24. In press
- Wąsowicz M, Jerath A, Luksun W, Sharma V, Mitsakakis N, Meineri M, Katznelson R, Yau T, Rao V, Beattie WS. Comparison of propofol-based versus volatile-based anaesthesia and postoperative sedation in cardiac surgical patients: a prospective, randomized study. Anaesthesiology intensive therapy. 2018 Jun 18.
- Deng L, Lou W, Mitsakakis N. Modeling right-censored medical cost data in regression and the effects of covariates, Statistical Methods and Applications, 2018, DOI 10.1007/s10260-018-0428-0 [online first]
- Tsang DT, Jones JM, Samadi O, Shah S, Mitsakakis N, Catton CN, Jeon W, To J, Breunis H, Alibhai SMH. Can a prescription coupled with education improve bone health for patients receiving androgen deprivation therapy? A before/after study. Supportive Care in Cancer, 2018 Mar 12. doi: 10.1007/s00520-018-4150-0. [Epub ahead of print]
- Samar Alharbi S, Ahmad Z, Bookman A, Touma Z, Sanchez-Guerrero J, Mitsakakis N, Johnson SR. Epidemiology and Survival of Systemic Sclerosis-Systemic Lupus Erythematosus Overlap Syndrome. The Journal of Rheumatology, In press
- Xie X, Ye C, Mitsakakis N. The Impact of the Underlying Risk in Control Group and Effect Measures in Non-Inferiority Trials With Time-to-Event Data: A Simulation Study. Journal of Clinical Medicine Research, 2018 May; 10(5): 376–383.
- Haldar SH, Magtibay K, Porta-Sanchez A, Masse S, Mitsakakis N, Lai PFH, Azam MA, Asta J, Kusha M, Dorian P, Ha ACT, Chauhan V, Deno DC, Nanthakumar K. Resolving Bipolar Electrogram Voltages during Atrial Fibrillation Using Omnipolar Mapping. Circulation: Arythmia and Electrophysiology, 2017, 10(9): e005018.
- Sahakyan Y, Abrahamyan L, Shahid N, Stanimirovic A, Ryan W, Pechlivanoglou P, Mitsakakis N, Krahn M, Rac VE.Changes in blood pressure among patients in the Ontario Telehomecare program: an observational longitudinal cohort study. Journal of Telemedicine and Telecare, 2017 Jan 1:1357633X17706286.
- Cameron A, MacKeigan, Mitsakakis N, Pugsley J. Multiple Mini-Interview Predictive Validity for Performance on a Pharmacy Licensing Exam. Medical Education, 2017; 51: 379-389
- Mitsakakis N. and Tomlinson G. Bayesian regression models for estimation of disease-specific net costs using aggregate data, Stat Methods Med Res. 2017, 26(3): 1110-1129
- Bielecki J, Wong J, Mitsakakis N, Shah PS, Krahn MD, Rac VE. Disparities in a provision of in-hospital post-arrest interventions for out-of-hospital cardiac arrest (OHCA) in the elderly population – protocol for a systematic review.Systematic Reviews, 2016 Apr7; 5(1), 55
- Kohler JC, Mitsakakis N, Saadat F, Byng D, Martinez MG. Does Pharmaceutical Pricing Transparency Matter? Examining Brazil’s Public Procurement System, Globalization and Health, 2015, 11(1):34
- Ekdawi SN, Stewart JMP, Dunne M, Stapleton S, Mitsakakis N, Jaffray DA, Allen C. Spatial and temporal mapping of heterogeneity in liposome uptake and microvascular distribution in an orthotopic tumor xenograft model, Journal of Controlled Release, 2015 June 10; 207:101-111
- Abrahamyan L, Wong J, Pham B, Trubiani G, Carcone S, Mitsakakis N, Rosen L, Rac VE, Krahn M. Structure and characteristics of community-based multidisciplinary wound care teams in Ontario: An environmental scan. Wound Repair Regen. 2014 Nov 25. doi: 10.1111/wrr.12241. [Epub ahead of print]
- Krahn MD, Bremner KE, Zagorski B, Alibhai SM, Chen W, Tomlinson G, Mitsakakis N, Naglie G. Health Care Costs for State Transition Models in Prostate Cancer, Med Decis Making. 2014 Apr; 34(3):366-78
- Bremner K, Mitsakakis N, Wilson L, Krahn M, Predicting utility scores for prostate cancer: Mapping the Prostate Cancer Index to the Patient Oriented Prostate Utility Scale (PORPUS), Prostate Cancer and Prostatic Diseases, 2014 Mar; 17(1):47-56
- Stern A, Mitsakakis N, Paulden M, Alibhai S, Wong J, Tomlinson G, Brooker AS, Krahn M, Zwarenstein M, Pressure Ulcer Multidisciplinary Teams via Telemedicine: A Pragmatic Cluster Randomized Stepped Wedge Trial in Long Term Care, BMC Health Services Research, 2014 Feb 24;14(1):83.
- Chan B., Ieraci L, Mitsakakis N., Pham B, Krahn M. Net costs of hospital-acquired and pre-admission PUs among older people hospitalised in Ontario, Journal of Wound Care, 2013 Jul;22(7):341-2, 344-6..
- Mitsakakis N, Wijeysundera CH, Krahn M. Beyond Case Fatality Rate: using Potential Impact Fraction to estimate the effect of increasing treatment uptake on mortality, BMC Medical Research Methodology, 2013 Sep 4;13(1):109.
- Abrahamyan L, Trubiani G, Witteman W, Mitsakakis N, Krahn M, Wijeysundera HC. Insights Into the Contemporary Management of Heart Failure in Specialized Multidisciplinary Ambulatory Clinics, Can J Cardiol. 2013 Apr 24. pii: S0828-282X(13)00054-8. doi: 10.1016/j.cjca.2013.01.017.
- Mitsakakis N., Razak, Z, Escobar, DM. and Westwood, JT. Prediction of Drosophila gene functions using Support Vector Machines, BioData Mining, 2013 Apr 2;6(1):8
- Clarke H, Kirkham KR, Orser BA, Katznelson R, Mitsakakis N, Ko R, Snyman A, Ma M, Katz J. Gabapentin reduces preoperative anxiety and pain catastrophizing in highly anxious patients prior to major surgery: a blinded randomized placebo-controlled trial. Can J Anaesth. 2013 May;60(5):432-443. Epub 2013 Feb 2.
- Perlas, A., Mitsakakis N., Liu L., Cino M, Haldipur N., Davis L, Cubillos J, Chan VWS. Validation of a mathematical model of ultrasound determined gastric volume by gastroscopic examination, Anesthesia & Analgesia, 2013 Feb;116(2):357-6
- Wijeysundera HC, Trubiani G, Wang X, Mitsakakis N, Austin PC, Ko DT, Lee DS, Tu JV, Krahn M. A population-based study to evaluate the effectiveness of multidisciplinary heart failure clinics and identify important service components. Circ Heart Fail. 2013 Jan;6(1):68-75
- Wijeysundera HC, Trubiani G, Abrahamyan L, Mitsakakis N, Witteman W, Paulden M, van der Velde G, Kingsbury K, Krahn M. Specialized multi-disciplinary heart failure clinics in Ontario, Canada: an environmental scan. BMC Health Serv Res. 2012 Aug 3;12(1):236.
- Chaparro LE, Clarke H, Valdes PA, Mira M, Duque L, Mitsakakis N., Adding pregabalin to a multimodal analgesic regimen does not reduce pain scores following cosmetic surgery: a randomized trial. J Anesth. 2012 Jul 14.
- Mitsakakis N., Massam, H and Escobar, DM (2011), A Metropolis-Hastings based method for sampling from the G-Wishart distribution in Gaussian Graphical Models, Electron. J. Statist., Volume 5, 18-30.
- Wijeysundera HC, Mitsakakis N, Witteman W, Paulden M, van der Velde G, Tu JV, Lee DS, Goodman SG, Petrella R, O’Flaherty M, Capewell S, Krahn M. Achieving Quality Indicator Benchmarks and Potential Impact on Coronary Heart Disease Mortality. Can J Cardiol. 2011