Internal Peer Review
• To improve grantsmanship and strengthen and enhance the quality of grant applications
• To improve DLSPH research application success rates for Tri-Council and other peer-reviewed requests for proposals
• Promote teamwork, collaboration and collegiality in DLSPH
• For new PIs: promotes mentorship for new and early researchers in DSLPH = long term success
• For senior PIs serving as reviewers: allows them to stay abreast of new and innovative methods and approaches = continued success
• Increase the potential for CRC allocation to DLSPH through increased Tri-Council funding
• An increase in successful applications also increase indirect cost recovery which in turns allows more future research support in DLSPH
• For all PIs: increase competitiveness for awards and promotion
• NIH Article – Internal Grant Preer Review Implementation
- All proposals for research funding (when the funding will be held at U of T), must be submitted for approval via the My Research Applications electronic review and approval system prior to submission to the sponsor.
In order to obtain institutional approval (electronic or signed signature page), please submit your MRA at least 1 week in advance of the grant deadline. If a signature page is required, please upload the signature page to your MRA and Research Services will return the signed copy to you via email.
- Research Grant Application Checklist
Set Up and Manage a Project
- See U of T’s policy on Ethical Conduct of Research
- Procurement & Spending in Advance of REB Approval: Spending Research Funds
- Manage Funding: My Research On Line (MROL) allows faculty to track spending and view financial reports.
If your research involves humans or animals, you will need to submit a Research Ethics application.
|Principal Investigator/Supervisor/Sponsor||Eligible to Apply for Ethics through DLSPH|
|DLSPH Core Faculty||Yes|
|DLSPH Status-Only Faculty||Yes|
|DLSPH Adjunct Faculty||No|
|Student of a Core/Status-Only Faculty||Yes|
2) How to Submit an Ethics Application:
The University of Toronto has launched a new on line system for the submission and review of human ethics protocols (MRHP). It is integrated with the My Research Applications (MRA) system.
Login: UTORid and password
About the New REB System:
– All new protocols for delegated review must now be submitted on-line through MRHP.
– All new protocols for full board review beginning with the December 2017 REB meetings must be submitted on-line through MRHP.
– All Amendments, Renewals, Protocol Completion Reports and Adverse Event Reports for existing protocols must now be submitted on-line through MRHP.
– Submissions by email will no longer be accepted.
For help and tutorials, please see the links below.
3) REB Deadlines:
Click here to see the REB deadlines: http://www.research.utoronto.ca/about/boards-and-committees/research-ethics-boards-reb/
4) Obtaining DLSPH Approval:
Approvals are now obtained through the online MRHP system. Please submit your application at least 1 week ahead of the REB deadline in order to obtain approval by DLSPH’s Associate Dean of Research.
5) Renewals, Amendments, Study Completion Requests:
Please complete these activities via the online MRHP system. A signature from the Associate Dean of Research is not required.
6) MRHP Tutorials:
I am a FACULTY PI
• How do I create a NEW SUBMISSION (original protocol document)?
• How do I create an AMENDMENT on my “legacy” protocol (created prior to October 25, 2017, i.e. before the launch of My Research – Human Protocols (MRHP) system)?
• How do I create a RENEWAL on my “legacy” protocol (created prior to October 25, 2017, i.e. before the launch of My Research – Human Protocols (MRHP) system)?
• How do I create a PROTOCOL COMPLETION REPORT (PCR)?
• How do I designate a PI ASSISTANT? (They will help create a protocol in my name.)
• How do I designate a STUDENT PI? (They will create a protocol in their name.)
I am a STUDENT PI
• I want to create an Original Submission in my Name
◦ How do I create a NEW human research ethics protocol in my name (Student PI)?
• I want to work on an EXISTING human research ethics protocol on which I am PI
◦ How do I create a protocol document (e.g. renewal or amendment) on my student protocol that was created prior to October 25, 2017, i.e. before the launch of My Research – Human Protocols (MRHP) system? (“Legacy Protocol”)?
Documentation and FAQs: http://www.research.utoronto.ca/about/project-raise/project-raise-help-and-support/#mrhp
Questions & Help:
RAISE Helpline: 416-946-5000
RAISE Email: email@example.com
Or contact the DLSPH Office of Research for support: firstname.lastname@example.org
Honours and Awards
We highly encourage all faculty to develop and maintain a basic awards dossier that can be adapted for various opportunities. The following dossier components are recommended:
- 1-sentence (~15 to 20-word) proposed citation
- 250-word summary of achievement and impact
- 3-page detailed narrative of research achievements
- Annotated list of top 15 publications
- Well-formatted up-to-date CV
If you would like to be considered for any awards, please send the Office of Research a copy of your dossier to keep on file. We also welcome your nominations of colleagues.
Staff are available to help with nomination packages based on availability.