Skip to content

How do I apply?

Applications are made through an online system. Paper copies of application forms are not available.  Carefully read the application instructions, and complete the online forms and upload supporting documents before the deadlines.  Click here for Application Instructions.

When must I apply?

On-line applications will be available mid-October 2020, and applications to degree programs in Public Health Sciences, Community Health and Bioethics will be available until 11:59pm EST on the following dates:

PhD and DrPH  November 27, 2020
MPH Nutrition & Dietetics – Advanced Standing November 27, 2020
MPH, MSc, MScCH and MHSc  January 18, 2021

Degree programs offered by the Graduate Department of Public Health Sciences will not be available in the online admission application system after the posted deadline. Late applications can not be considered.

What are the minimum admission requirements?

Our minimum admission requirements, which are based on those of the School of Graduate Studies (SGS), can be found here.

Can I still apply if I don’t meet all the admission requirements?

If you have recently graduated, but do not meet the admission criteria, you will not be eligible for admission to our programs.

What documents are required for an application?

  • Application form
  • Payment of $125 application fee (online payment, non-refundable and non-transferable)
  • Curriculum Vitae
  • Letter of Intent
  • Statistics Requirement form – applicable to Epidemiology, Indigenous Health and Social & Behavioural Health Science (Health promotion) applicants
  • 2 Letters of Reference (submitted online by the referees) ** 3 Letters of Reference for MHSc-Bioethics applicants**
  • Scanned transcript of all undergraduate and graduate programs
  • Un-official TOEFL/TWE scores – if applicable.  Official scores should be sent directly to University of Toronto (Enrolment Services) from the testing centre

See Application Instructions

Do I need to submit an Official transcript?

University-issued transcripts are preferred, as they provide all of the important information necessary for accurate assessment of your academic history.  Be sure to include one page of the back-side, which contains details about the institution’s courses, grading schemes  and GPA calculation practices.

Academic records available from university online systems are also acceptable, as long as they include all of the necessary information.  Please see information on scanned transcripts in the Application Instructions for more details.

Must I write a test of English Language Proficiency (ELP)?

Proficiency in the English language is required and must be established by all applicants from universities outside of Canada where the language of instruction is not English.  However, a university education in English may not be considered sufficient (e.g. ELP is still required for graduates from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Saudi Arabia).  If you completed your admitting degree in a country where English is not the native language, you must take a test of English Language Proficiency (ELP) which includes a test of written English.

ELP scores from an approved test of must be no more than 2 years old and must be submitted at the time of application. Click here for more info.

What if my English Language Proficiency scores are not available before the application deadline?

Whenever possible, enter your self-reported English proficiency test scores into your application profile.

If you will not have your results, and will not be able to enter your scores, before the application deadline, please email the Graduate Office at with your test date and the date you expect results to be available.

Remember to have the testing agency send your electronic scores directly to University of Toronto, Enrolment Services. You should make this request when schedule your test or when you arrive at the test centre on the testing day, so that the results may be transferred as soon as they are available.

My ELP results have been sent, but my application says they are still pending.

Graduate Office staff review each application individually, to ensure all documentation is submitted. Due to high volume, it may be several weeks before we can confirm that ELP scores have been received by the University.  Please be patient.

I am applying to an MPH, what is the statistics requirement?

For most fields of study, at least one undergraduate statistics course is required before you can enter the program.

Should I write the Graduate Record Examination (GRE)?

The GRE is not required for admission to any degree program or field of study in the Department of Public Health Sciences

Can I apply to more than one field of study within a degree program?

No. Please review the program descriptions carefully and/or consult the appropriate Program Director for advice before you make your final decision.

Can I transfer my application from one degree program or field of study to another?

No. Each program has different admission criteria and you should be certain of the degree and program in which you are interested and eligible.  If you select the wrong Program or  Degree Program (see instructions) by mistake, you may create a new application, and make an additional application fee payment.  However, if you select the wrong Field of Study (eg, Epidemiology instead of Occupational & Environmental Health) and have proceeded to the application payment, you will not be able to go back to make changes.  In addition, you will not be allowed to create a second application for a new Field of Study in the same Degree Program.  Before you make your application payment, please make sure you have selected the correct Field of Study.

What if I haven’t completed my degree?

Applicants who are in a degree program at the time of application, should upload current transcripts reflecting work in progress.  If possible, wait until your Fall grades are available before uploading your current transcript to your application profile. Final Official Transcripts, with a notation indicating “Degree Conferred”, will only be requested of successful applicants.

Can I complete the program as a Part-time student?

The full-time program is the standard. In order to make our programs more accessible to students, we have introduced a range of program formats. However, most classes are held between 9:00-5:00 p.m., Monday to Friday.

Master’s program applicants must state their intentions at the start of the program. MPH students may transfer from full-time and part-time status once, within the first year of study. Students in MSc and MScCH programs may only transfer from full- to part-time status within the first academic session in which they begin their program.  MHSc-Bioethics students complete the program as full-time students only.

The maximum time limit to complete the program as a part-time student is 6 years.

PhD students who wish to study part-time must register as flex-time. They are required to pay full-time fees for the first four years of the program, after which a transfer to part-time studies can be made.

Do I need a supervisor before I can apply for a PhD?

No, you do not need a supervisor. However, you should have a clear idea of the potential area of research, so that we can be sure to match your research interests with our faculty. You might want to look up some of the faculty publication and research interests in the Faculty Database.

Will I be funded during my program, and to what level?

PHS ensures a minimum threshold of funding to PhD students, registered in years 1-5, according to the PhD Funding Policy for PhD Students.  This policy is reviewed and revised each year, and annual funding packages are determined based on the policy established for the upcoming academic year.

Master’s students are not included in the funded cohort, but there are a number of opportunities for awards and bursaries available to Master’s students.

All applicants are encouraged to apply for the Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS).

How do I check the status of my application?

Log on to the SGS applicant website with your applicant number and password.  Once all documents have been received, included both of your references, your status will be changed to Under Review. This may take some time for internal document screening.  Be patient.

I have completed my online application, but my status still shows that I have documents pending.

Due to high volume and processing time, it may be several weeks before we can indicate that a document has been received and/or that the application is complete and Under Review. Please check your online application regularly. You may need to follow-up with your referees to ensure timely submission of reference letters.

We will not confirm receipt of documents by phone, fax, email or mail.

When will I be notified of my acceptance/rejection by the programs?

For applicants who submitted completed applications to programs with a November 2020 deadline, letters of acceptance or rejection will begin to be mailed out in mid-February 2021.

For applicants who submitted completed applications to programs with a January 2021 deadline, letters of acceptance or rejection will begin to be mailed by late March 2021.

Every effort will be made to ensure that all applicants will have received an answer by June 30.

What are the tuition fees?

The U of T schedule of fees can be viewed at the Student Accounts website.