Strong learning and mentorship
The School offers a dynamic learning community in which research, practica and fieldwork enhance theoretical studies. Programs of study are enriched by the expertise and strong mentorship provided by internationally-known faculty and scientists from collaborating institutions who hold academic appointments with the School. Our talented students come from a wide variety of disciplines and play an active role in shaping their education and learning experience.
- Attend an information session or open house: Events Calendar Future Students
- Review the Admissions Criteria
- Proceed to the Application Process
- Send inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org
Degree program options
The PhD program is truly multi-, inter- and trans-disciplinary, exposing students to the full breadth and depth of public health. The PhD degree is offered in four fields of study: Biostatistics, Epidemiology, Occupational and Environmental Health and Social & Behavioural Health Sciences — one of the few doctoral level programs in social and behavioural science in all of Canada. The program’s strength is reflected in the success of our graduates, who hold leadership, research, and academic positions in universities, teaching hospitals, research institutes, health agencies, and industry.
PROFESSIONAL MASTER’S PROGRAMS
The Professional Master’s programs provide a wide range of options to individuals entering the field of public health and to practicing health professionals who wish to enhance their expertise. Our graduates are highly sought after by government, research institutes, teaching hospitals, and the private sector.
Master of Public Health (MPH)
Designed to prepare practitioners, educators and researchers for careers in public health, the MPH offers a unique range of specializations with a remarkable breadth of courses and practicum opportunities.
- Our field of study in Epidemiology emphasizes quantitative methods and provides students with a strong base of knowledge and skills in epidemiological methods and public health.
- The Indigenous Health field of study examines Indigenous health issues from multiple perspective and world views.
- The Dalla Lana MPH is one of the only master’s programs in Canada to offer an MPH in Family and Community Medicine and Nutrition and Dietetics fields of study.
- Our Occupational & Environmental Health field of study is the oldest and most established graduate program in occupational hygiene in the country.
- Our Health Promotion field of study uses a social science perspective to address issues related to the health of individuals, communities and populations.
Master of Science (MSc)
The MSc with a specialization in Biostatistics offers a unique dual focus on statistical methodology and practical training.
Master of Science in Community Health (MScCH)
This innovative degree program is designed to meet the needs of established health professionals who wish to enhance their knowledge and skills while remaining in practice. It offers specializations in Addictions and Mental Health, Family and Community Medicine, Health Practitioner Teacher Education, Occupational Health Care and Wound Prevention and Care.
Master of Health Science in Bioethics (MHSc)
The MHSc in Bioethics, offered through the Graduate Department of Public Health Sciences and coordinated by the University of Toronto Joint Centre for Bioethics, is a professional master’s program for health practitioners, researchers, and administrators. The goal of the MHSc program is to enhance students’ core knowledge and skill competencies in bioethics research, education and practice, ideally to strengthen ethics capacity in their health organizations.
Defined as intra-university programs that provide a multidisciplinary experience for students already enrolled in a degree program, the Graduate Department of Public Health Sciences in participates in a variety of Collaborative Specializations that provide students with additional options to enhance their degree studies in a wide range of areas.
SPECIALTY TRAINING PROGRAMS
CIHR Strategic Training
The CIHR Strategic Training for Advanced Genetic Epidemiology (STAGE) Program is Canada’s first and only formal comprehensive training program in Genetic Epidemiology and Statistical Genetics, and one of a few such programs in the world.
The DLSPH also offers Residency Programs, for the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons, in Public Health and Preventive Medicine and Occupational Medicine.