Virtual Computer Lab
The DLSPH is pleased to offer students access to a Virtual Computer Lab. Access is available 24 hours/day to a virtual computers with the following software set:
- EpiData Entry
- EpiInfo 7.2
- SAS 9.4
- SPSS 2X (TBD)
- STATA 15
- 30 simultaneous computer sessions are available at any time
- Your UTORid and password are required to login at https://dlsph.apporto.com
- The first time you login the session will create a profile for you that will be saved and will be accessible for future logins
- Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any difficulty accessing your personal virtual desktop
- Students can access Microsoft Office 365 Online Applications, including OneDrive, via https://mail.utoronto.ca.
Software is available to Public Health Sciences students for full price, academic discount pricing or even free. One resource is the U of T Licensed Software office. Students may wish to speak with program directors, supervisors or key course instructors for advice on the best source for specialized software. For public health, a few examples are:
- All Public Health Sciences Students may obtain a free annual copy of SAS. Contact email@example.com.
- STATA: Order online from stata.com
- Endnote Web and RefWorks: See Licensed Software Office
- Free and recommended: R (www.r-project.org), OpenEpi.com, Epi Info
PHS offers a series of workshops during Software Crash Week, providing training in popular qualitative and quantitative software packages. This typically takes place in early April; details will be circulated to all students early in the Winter term.
The UofT Libraries have a strong relationship with the libraries of health care institutions affiliated with the University through the Health Science Information Consortium of Toronto. The Gerstein Science Information Centre is a prominent branch of the library and is the supporting branch of the sciences and health sciences. The library website can also be used for research purposes with many articles and excerpts of books available as digital copies.